• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Dollar Shave Club

2K6TBSS

Does anyone on here use this service, or know anyone that does?  I have been thinking about joining, but would like to hear un-filtered feedback before jumping in.

I signed up YEARS ago, when they first began an advertising blitz. Maybe after a Super Bowl commercial? Don't remember. But at the time, I guess they got so swamped with orders, I was told I could be on the waiting list. All I had to do was pay for the first month, and that would hold my spot in line.

I wasn't interested in giving money to a company I had never heard of just to hold a spot in line, so I forgot about it. Then a month ago they send me an email offering me a free month. I figured what the hell, and got the 4 blade package($6/month regular price). They sent me the handle, which seems well made and has a nice weight to it, the box of 4 - 4 blade cartridges, and the sent me a free sample of their shave butter (which I haven't tried yet). I've got a free sample of their after shave lotion coming with my next order. 

I've been using it for a couple weeks, and really like it. I get a really close shave, and it cleans easily. So far the only negative has been that I'm used to shaving with a twin blade, and maneuvering around my facial hair with a blade that big has been a small challenge. But I'm figuring it out.

I don't shave very often, mostly because I'm lazy. One of the nice things about the program is you can have them ship every other month instead of every month, so I'm not sitting on a surplus of unused blades. And if you like it, you can convince your friends to sign up with your referral link. Each sign up gives you a $5 credit, almost enough for 2 free months of the twin blade, or 1 of the quad. If you're interested, PM me and I'll send you my link. 

I dont use the service but, a few years ago I bought a simple double edged safety razor and blades for pennies and It has never let me down. Fresh blade everytime, easy and dependable. Then again I shave regularly.

With that being said im if I hadn't made this move I would probably be rather close to jumping in and doing the shave club too. But its way cheaper the way im doing it.
Sorry to derail a bit, just want you to be able to weigh all your options.

Ward said:
I dont use the service but, a few years ago I bought a simple double edged safety razor and blades for pennies and It has never let me down. Fresh blade everytime, easy and dependable. Then again I shave regularly.

With that being said im if I hadn't made this move I would probably be rather close to jumping in and doing the shave club too. But its way cheaper the way im doing it.

I do have a double edge safety razor at home, but am looking for something I can use at my office when I shower there.  Didn't really want to buy another DE razor, and I don't really like having it in my gym bag when I hit the shower.  You know that whole contents shifting while driving, I found that out once the hard way...

I am currently using the cheap disposable razors, but those are pretty harsh.

Gotcha, then yeah for that factor alone this sounds like a good choice.

tomthirtysix said:
I signed up YEARS ago, when they first began an advertising blitz. Maybe after a Super Bowl commercial? Don't remember. But at the time, I guess they got so swamped with orders, I was told I could be on the waiting list. All I had to do was pay for the first month, and that would hold my spot in line.

I wasn't interested in giving money to a company I had never heard of just to hold a spot in line, so I forgot about it. Then a month ago they send me an email offering me a free month. I figured what the hell, and got the 4 blade package($6/month regular price). They sent me the handle, which seems well made and has a nice weight to it, the box of 4 - 4 blade cartridges, and the sent me a free sample of their shave butter (which I haven't tried yet). I've got a free sample of their after shave lotion coming with my next order. 

I've been using it for a couple weeks, and really like it. I get a really close shave, and it cleans easily. So far the only negative has been that I'm used to shaving with a twin blade, and maneuvering around my facial hair with a blade that big has been a small challenge. But I'm figuring it out.

I don't shave very often, mostly because I'm lazy. One of the nice things about the program is you can have them ship every other month instead of every month, so I'm not sitting on a surplus of unused blades. And if you like it, you can convince your friends to sign up with your referral link. Each sign up gives you a $5 credit, almost enough for 2 free months of the twin blade, or 1 of the quad. If you're interested, PM me and I'll send you my link. 

Thanks.  I was looking at the $6/month option, it seemed like the best deal. 

You will have a PM soon.

I use it, got the 4 blade razor.  Pretty good deal as far as I am concerned.  I enjoy the free samples they throw in from time to time too.

2K6TBSS said:

I do have a double edge safety razor at home, but am looking for something I can use at my office when I shower there.  Didn't really want to buy another DE razor, and I don't really like having it in my gym bag when I hit the shower.  You know that whole contents shifting while driving, I found that out once the hard way...

I am currently using the cheap disposable razors, but those are pretty harsh.

Careful. 
I know if I switch razors there may be some 'nics' and stuff for a while. 

I really will only use a 3 blade with strip on it...when away. 

Otherwise - grow a beard! :D

I've used it for the last 10 months, I have the highest model because it compares with the Gillette fusion I was using. I started at the middle tier and then after I received it I switched my next month to the expensive one so I could try them both, I was ok with the middle tier and I love the high tier one. You can switch every month if you wanted to and you get a free new handle everytime you switch, so now I have two of each for my travel bag. I only switch my razor every two weeks so I have a bunch stored up so I am switching to every other month shipping.

I have a friend who keeps trying to get me to check it out.  Now that I've rejoined the Dark Side and shave more days than not for work, I may give it a go.  Do they do a double bladed option?  I like the regular old grey Sensor Excel.  It hasn't let me down for about as long as I've been shaving.

I already shave with the finest razor ever made. A Gillette adjustable Diplomat circa 1968 with Feather blades. I see no reason to change.

Doc

Being active military, I obviously have to shave every day.

Maybe I should give this a go.

kann said:
I have a friend who keeps trying to get me to check it out.  Now that I've rejoined the Dark Side and shave more days than not for work, I may give it a go.  Do they do a double bladed option?  I like the regular old grey Sensor Excel.  It hasn't let me down for about as long as I've been shaving.

They do have a double blade option, I think it's only $1 a month.  The 4 blade option is $6 a month, and the 6 blade option is $9 a month.

I am thinking of going with the 4 blade option myself.

Yeah, the twin blade is $1/month, but they charge you $2/month to ship it. The other options include shipping. 

The Marine gives them the double thumbs up.  Says the stuff is great quality, costs are very reasonable, easy to recommend.

Devil Doc said:
I already shave with the finest razor ever made. A Gillette adjustable Diplomat circa 1968 with Feather blades. I see no reason to change.

Doc

I just saw one of those on the 'Antique Road Show' the other day. The expert who conducted the evaluation paused for a minute after a closer inspection and said it had to be carbon dated before putting a value on it. 

ironpeddler said:

Doc

I just saw one of those on the 'Antique Road Show' the other day. The expert who conducted the evaluation paused for a minute after a closer inspection and said it had to be carbon dated before putting a value on it. 

Because metal shavers like to eat salads?

ironpeddler said:

Doc

He wasn't much of an expert. All you have to do is read the numbers and letter code on the back of the head for year and quarter of manufacture. And you ain't exactly a spring chicken. :whistling:

Doc

I guess I'm one of those penny pinching bastards that goes 6 months before replacing a blade. It still shaves, so why do I need to replace it?