• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

My Father Le Bijou 2015 Hawaii exclusive

oke&coke

Shut up baby I know it!
Cigar:  My Father Le Bijou 1922 Toro Fino

Size:  6x48 Box Press

Price:  $13.50+tax

Wrapper:  Nicaraguan Habano Oscuro

Binder:  Nicaraguan

Filler:  Nicaraguan

med_gallery_19975_1936_1115824.jpg

Prelight:  Cigar is firm with some give.  Wrapper is a smooth chocolate brown with only a few notable veins.  Scent is of strong tobacco and earth.  Cold draw is good with only a hint of earth flavor.  

med_gallery_19975_1936_1259629.jpg

Initial Draw:  Mild body but with a rich smoke that coats your mouth.  Strong pepper on the retrohale.  It actually made pinch my nose.

1/3:  Draw is good on this cigar, with the size and box press being very comfortable in the mouth. The pepper is still there but not as strong.  The smoke is thick on this thing and leaves a creamy feel to your mouth.  The burn does develop a wave but not unexpected with the weather.  

2/3:  Going into the second third, the pepper is still there but of the other flavors have stepped up.  There is some wood, spice and earth with the creamy smoke taking on a leathery quality.  Body is now a solid medium.  Burn did require a small correction in the first third but is going good now.

3/3:  Body is really taking a bump here.  The smoke off this thing is still thick and rich tasting.  The pepper on the retrohale has disappeared giving way to a slight scent of leather.  Spice and some heat have become the dominant flavors here.

Conclusion:  It has been a long while since I have had anything else in the Le Bijou line, so I can't compare it to anything.  Hopefully I can fix that this weekend.  A very good cigar indeed but the price tag is a bit steep.  Unfortunately Hawaii taxes carry the brunt of that blame.  Still, I give it a good recommendation to try it out if possible.

Is this the one that you recently posted about?  Worth picking up a box?

kann said:
Is this the one that you recently posted about?  Worth picking up a box?
This is the one.  I would say yes since it is 12 to a box.  May also have some aging potential.  Will try to get to the puffnstuff you gave me and give you a comparative answer.  You shouldn't have any trouble snagging a single to try out first though.

If you get some time off on a weekend, I'm down if you want to hit up the shop/lounge again.  My humidor could definitely use a few new singles.  I'm very interested in that MFLB.  

Well I am off today and tomorrow.  If your not busy drop me a line.

I have to go into work later today, but tomorrow might be an option.  I'll let you know.

Sounds good. My wife is going shopping with her mom today so I have the little one.

Working on the 2011 Le Bijou puffnstuff Kann gave me.  The sizes are nearly the same just a 4 year age difference.  Subtle differences but the family resemblance is very much there.  I think it is safe to say if you got to try the 2011 then you should like the 2015.

med_gallery_19975_1936_1207933.jpg

I don't know if you will pick up on it, but when you opened the PnS box, it had a distinct raspberry aroma.  They aren't flavored, but the smell was prominent.  I wonder if the Hawaiians have anything of the sort to the boxes.  I can't wait to find out.

As i said with that MFLB, some of them have been hit and miss since they made the trip across the globe.  I hope you got a good one from the stash.

It is good.  The PnS is more mellow and rounded whereas the Toro Fino is a little more brash and youthful with the flavors and body.  Especially with the pepper.

Was that the PnS release where they told Al he had an exclusive, and then Al found out they were pimping that same blend/vitola to other shops? If it is, I'd have to wonder how "exclusive" anything they do really is.

tomthirtysix said:
Was that the PnS release where they told Al he had an exclusive, and then Al found out they were pimping that same blend/vitola to other shops? If it is, I'd have to wonder how "exclusive" anything they do really is.

Sounds vaguely familiar.  I'm not searching it out tonight, but if anyone finds a link to an old thread here I'd love to read about it.  I do remember that those MFLBs for Al were a pretty big deal in 2010/11 (I think they were a late 2010 release, IIRC.

*EDIT*  In any case, it is a damn good cigar, though I can understand why Al would be pissed if he found that out.  If this is true, I would certainly be suspect of any "exclusives", as well.  

kann said:

Sounds vaguely familiar.  I'm not searching it out tonight, but if anyone finds a link to an old thread here I'd love to read about it.  I do remember that those MFLBs for Al were a pretty big deal in 2010/11 (I think they were a late 2010 release, IIRC.

*EDIT*  In any case, it is a damn good cigar, though I can understand why Al would be pissed if he found that out.  If this is true, I would certainly be suspect of any "exclusives", as well.  

I remember hearing this too.  I tried to search but cant seem to find it.  I'll keep looking.

Edit: Found it.

http://www.cigarpass.com/forumsipb/topic/70973-pepin-se-le-bijou-puff-edition/?hl=puffstuff#entry1068664

Thanks.  That's really interesting.  It's familiar, but I can't recall reading that thread, to be honest.  

I did/do love the ones in the original run box I got from Al.  Hell, I remember the day I got them in the mail, I was on my way over to Trey's house.  Instead of dropping them back in my fridgidor, I took them right over to his place so he could smell the lovely raspberry, too!  :D  

I don't really know what to think about the "mix up" and handshake deal.  Al and Rick established themselves as two standup retailers in that thread.  I haven't bought anything since from Puff n Stuff, but would do so again in a heartbeat.  I'll still pick up a box of these Hawaiians if I get to them in time, but will admittedly be a bit weary of their "rarity".  That said, I'll still smoke them for the damn good cigar that they are (or, I assume they are going to be after my experience with the PnS cigars).  

Thanks for finding that.  It was a great bit of reading.

Yeah it was really quite a story how it all went down, but they were still really awesome smokes.   I still have 5 left from the box that I got...and I have 5 occasions picked out for each one.

I also clicked on the link to Federal cigar. It appears they still have some in stock.