• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

The knife, and it's value as an Every Day Carry item.

MX

Quietly getting back into the cigar culture.....
I came across a blog post that really got me thinking here is a small quote from it.

Most of our needs for a knife in practical terms have been removed. But the knife is mythic. It represents something deeper. It's a symbol of a man whose heart and strength are intact. A man who has not outsourced his world and his masculinity to hired hands. A man who is capable of facing life's deepest challenges and coming out whole.

On the surface of the blog post and the quote there is some macho posturing, and some male ego, I get that. But for some reason it speaks to me. Maybe it is because of where I have been, or more to the point who I have been in the past, maybe it is what I have gone through, am still going through, maybe it is because I know that I am currently in a battle that will not soon end for me...and having something in my hands offers me hope that I can survive.

Trying to copy and paste from my work computer is not working so well.

Link:  www.becomegoodsoil.com/castration-a-case-for-carrying-a-knife/

Tim

PS: Today I have my SOG Twitch II on my belt

Nothing fancy or expensive, but I don't leave the house without my CRKT M16-01Z in my pocket:

http://www.crkt.com/M16-01-EDC-GlassFilledNylonHandle-AutoLAWKS-Razor-Sharp-Edge

....I prefer my S&W 642 or my Glock 26 in addition, but the knife goes everywhere.

Oh, and for an EDC knife, you really need one that you can open with one hand.  This one fits the bill nicely.  I've carried mine for years, really happy with it, for the price.

I have an older M16-13SF that will be in rotation.

Took it apart last night to clean it, and could not get the safety lock re-installed, so now I will have to carry it all wild and dangerous like....lol.

I think I have a second one in a tool box as well....have to hunt for it this weekend

T

EDC, as in self-defense, or just as a tool?

I have a need for a blade nearly daily as a tool.  I used to carry a nice SOG assisted opening knife that my wife got when through work in Germany.  I lost it in the move when I accidentally left it in my backpack instead of checked luggage and nearly got arrested by the polizei at Frankfurt airport.  It held an edge better than any knife I've ever had.  

I felt a bit more comfortable with it on the self-defense front, but didn't kid myself that I probably wasn't going to be saving any lives (my own included) with it.  I just don't have the agility needed for a knife fight.  Maybe just the sight and the click of it opening would have been the deterrent needed at the moment, but if it came to actually having to use it, I was fucked.  I would have much rathered my 1911 or M&P 45c.  Not possible where I was, though.

I haven't carried one EDC since, mainly out of laziness.  I find myself still reaching for it, though, over a year later.

I whole heartily separate EDC from SD, not that one can't be used for the other.

I am just starting to carry a knife again, have not carried one since I lost a Case Congress that my grandfather gave me because I carried it to school....

I just purchased 6 matching knives, nothing special...truth be told...I assume they are rather cheap....but that is kinda the idea. I want them to get abused, used and used up....
I bought them for me, my Dad, my Brother and 3 sons. They will be Christmas presents.

They are a little larger than what my dad used to carry, but they are the same shape and lock-backs...about the only kind he will have in his pocket.

I look at it this way; I am quite sure I'm not the best shot or best knife fighter in the world, but I do practice.  If the SHTF I want a choice.  

It just doesn't feel the same leaving the house without my Benchmade, it's part of the routine of getting ready to face the day.

Gibbs rules #9: Never go anywhere without a knife.

Doc

I feel like a little pu**y reading these comments, I've never carried a knife anywhere. I never felt the need to but will be looking into the one that Tom posted, I saw it on amazon at half price.

All of the CRTK M16 are great carry knives.

Make sure to pick your knife on what you think you will use it for the most.
I have the Tanto blade, makes it slide in between the rib cage super easy.....but mostly it helps me bust through sod, and packing tape..lol

T

My wife asked me once why I needed to buy another knife and why mine cost so much more.
I told her it was man jewelry, and I love custom knives more than she loved custom jewelry.

Bu11dog said:
My wife asked me once why I needed to buy another knife and why mine cost so much more.
I told her it was man jewelry, and I love custom knives more than she loved custom jewelry.

I tried that when my Springfield "Operator" 1911 came home.

Didn't work out so well........ :laugh:

I always have a gun nearby, except while at work and always have some sort of knife/multi purpose scissors with me.  At work I carry the leatherman raptors all the time so not much need for a knife.  When I didn't have the raptors I carried a Benchmade.

Very timely topic as I just picked up a replacement EDC and I was going to post up a minor review tomorrow. Their are some real quality offerings for around $30, so there is really no reason not to have one.

So I am on day 3 of having a knife with me. There is just something freeing in knowing that I am prepared for so much more.

A knife speaks to the soul of a Man.
My life is in the middle of a complete transformation. I could not have continued moving in that old direction.

T

Had my EDC confiscated when I went to a baseball game about two weeks ago. Silly me, I forgot that people can't congregate without stabbing each other.

Gavin said:
Had my EDC confiscated when I went to a baseball game about two weeks ago. Silly me, I forgot that people can't congregate without stabbing each other.
To be fair, I've been around some real jackasses at baseball games, so I could understand the temptation.     :laugh:

Gavin said:
To be fair, I've been around some real jackasses at baseball games, so I could understand the temptation.     :laugh:

You must have been at a Mets game.. :sign: