• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Computer (Mac) Question

kann

One Leg Of Fury.
My wife's MacBook is being wonky.  It is cycling erratically through all the different windows (home screen, system preferences, mission control, etc...).  The trackpad cursor is not very responsive, and kind of does its own thing.  Anyone have any ideas?  I restarted the computer and it seemed fine for a few minutes, but then started doing it again.  

Despite consistent prodding, she has not backed up her computer in quite some time.  She has a lot of her PhD work on there that she is freaking out over losing.  I don't know what to tell her, because I bought her the hard drive and kept telling her she needs to back her stuff up.  Told her about icloud.  I don't know what to tell her.  If she really does end up losing everything on this computer, she's fucked -- no two ways about it.  But, again...

SOOOO...  any ideas?  She's on the phone with the Apple store right now.  That's probably her best bet, I'm sure.  Just wondering if anyone has experienced something like this with their Mac before.  I'm probably jinxing myself, but in 9 years with a Mac, I've only ever had one real problem.  She's gone through several (though she does do some heavy-duty work on them).  

I have had some issues with the track pad before.  Once was due to a swollen battery since it is under the pad.  Got that changed and was good to go.  The other times were due to wet fingers or just a dirty pad.  My advice would be to get it all backed up now then try to fix it. 

Does the computer pause when you try to do something?  The cursor will show the circle.  If so, mine does that as well due to slowing down with age.  Best thing is to let it sit and work, then try perform a function.  Call me if you have any questions.

Nah, it's nothing like that.  It's like all the windows just randomly and erratically cycling between different windows and screens.  My wife says it's "possessed".  She's on the phone with them now.  I'll let you know.  

We backed it up this morning, but if it's a virus it would have saved that as well, no?  My old original white MacBook slowed down with age, so I understand that part of it.  I still have it, just never use it.  My last MacBook still works perfectly, except for the USB ports are broken because someone dropped my computer off of my nightstand and it landed on the USB cable.  I ended up just getting a new one because I was in the middle of my capstone class and needed it fixed RIGHT MEOW.  Also, I just wanted a new computer... :p

Edit*  The trackpad on my current laptop I'm using right now is a bit wonky.  Like it sunk in and doesn't quite sit right.  It still works, but there's no "positive feel" to it.  I'll have to get that taken care of eventually.  That's the only real Apple problem I've had.  

Don't know what it is, but it doesn't sound like a hard drive issue.  Her data should be safe.  They'll be able to connect her machine to another and pull the data off.

can you connect a mouse to it and disable the trackpad to rule out the trackpad as the issue?

That was my first idea, but we don't have a mouse around.  Apple has her reinstalling ios right now.  

My guess is that it's related to a bad track pad. I had to have my replaced after the battery swelled and started to do weird stuff. It may be registering the side swiping motion that allows one to switch between programs/Windows.

First forget the track pad and use a mouse. Second use disk utility and do a disk repair. You would be surprised how many pointers are not where they should be. BTH, you don't need an apple mouse, several work just fine and way more accurate than the pad. Check out Best Buy. But seriously, run disk repair.

Thanks, all.  After reinstalling ios, it worked long enough to disable the track pad.  She ran out and grabbed a cheap wireless mouse from the BX and it has been working sufficiently (though she says it's still not "normal").  

She learned her lesson.  She has set up iCloud and has not yet unplugged the external hard drive from the computer.  It does seem to be a trackpad issue, as many of you have said (and I didn't listen).  What you described, Michael, makes perfect sense, and I think that's what may have been happening.  

Thanks for all the help, all.  

Will, I'm going to have to pass on the cigar event today since she's stuck catching up on all the homework she should have been doing yesterday... :(

We have a NAS storage box on our home network where both machines back themselves up. Beat way too go, imho.

Nick, does the computer have a panel on the bottom that you can open?  If so take a look at the battery, the swelling will probably be very obvious.  About $100 at the apple store of a new one.