• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Padron 6000, Maduro

Ginseng

Banned
Tonight's study smoke was a Padron 6000, maduro. The "Thousand" series in the Padron family consists of reasonably priced, well constructed cigars that are as consistent as they are consistently satisfying. The accompaniments were Girl Scouts Samoas and Scooby Doo dogbone-shaped graham cookies. The cup was my standard Martinson's coffee, freshly brewed, regular.

Prelight and Initial Stage
This cigar was a solidly-built belicoso sporting a pinpoint head and a rich, oily wrapper. Sometimes this series has a tendency to come with dryish wrappers but this was not the case this time. With better than a full year of age, the wrapper was healthy and resilient with light veining and a forgiving resiliency.

The bundling was nice and roomy at the foot but felt noticeably tighter at the head and so I made my cut fairly far down the cone. I have never found Padrons in this series to smell particularly interesting. Nothing but good, well-fermented tobacco without any hint of ammonia or greeness. Lighting was flawless and after a few cleansing puffs, I was rewarded with substantial curls of opaque white smoke.

After the initial settling-in, the signature (at least to my palate) woodiness, dry-nuttiness and cedary notes started to come through. Not a particularly "moist" smoke, it lacked any real leatheriness or deep earthiness but did come through with some light coffee overtones.

And so I hunkered down to write, munch, sip and puff.

Middle and End Stages
The cigar burned exceptionally well. Even in the relative cold and dry atmosphere of my garage, the burn was organically straight with a stiff and well-formed light gray ash. I can't say the cigar was very complex nor did it change much in the first two-thirds. It was just solid, consistent and satisfying.

I did notice that unlike many cigars of this similar gauge, it was extremely tolerant of hotboxing. I always run this short test and not all smokes pass. On slightly more insistent puffing, almond and nutty notes came through as did some more spice and tang but without any tendency to harshness. Clearly, good tobacco coupled with moderate aging is good thing. I like being able to occasionally puff with slightly more urgency as I think and this cigar took it in stride and rewarded with a different, pleasing character.

The draw was slightly firm but this did not seem to affect the burn, taste or smoke volume, which was very decent.

In the last third, things got a little richer and a bit more tangy still. All in all, a pleasing progression and development. I found myself holding the stick out just to watch the tendrils of smoke curl up into the air. The finish or aftertaste was also indicative of good, pure tobacco. It was straight-up and tasty with none of the weird nastiness that one sometimes finds.

Before I knew it, an hour and forty minutes had passed. My feet were getting cold but the 6K was still earnestly giving me its best. And so I propped up this soldier and came inside.

In sum, this stick demonstrates the skill of the Padrons. Even though not an Anniversary or a Serie 1926, this is a cigar that is as dependable as it is satisfying. At least as far as my tastes, it is easily the equal or superior to the Fuente or Ashton maduros. At $5-6 per stick, this is a cigar worth stashing away a box. Heartily recommended.

(IMG:http://webzoom.freewebs.com/photonjazz/Padron6000Mad.jpg)

Wilkey

Great review. I love the shape and feel of the 6000, I just wish they had the 2000's flavor.

Shibumi said:
Great review. I love the shape and feel of the 6000, I just wish they had the 2000's flavor.
[snapback]243913[/snapback]​

I agree. Compared to the 2K and 3K, the 6K was relatively less complex. I've also got a Churchill and Magnum from 8 or 9 years ago waiting to be taste tested.

Wilkey

Ginseng said:
Shibumi said:
Great review.  I love the shape and feel of the 6000, I just wish they had the 2000's flavor.
[snapback]243913[/snapback]​

I agree. Compared to the 2K and 3K, the 6K was relatively less complex. I've also got a Churchill and Magnum from 8 or 9 years ago waiting to be taste tested.

Wilkey
[snapback]243925[/snapback]​

Very nice review
I want to hear about that Magnum, it is one of my favorites.
With age like that, I couldn't even imagine the flavor of that one.

I love the 6000. Very nice review...makes me want to go out and and smoke one. :)

-Fetter

Thanks Wilkey! I have a 6k in the humidor calling my name, might be enjoying it after work. :thumbs:

smallg said:
Thanks Wilkey! I have a 6k in the humidor calling my name, might be enjoying it after work. :thumbs:
[snapback]243996[/snapback]​

Same here...ive had one resting for about 6 months now that ive been meaning to smoke. Look at the ash on that sucker!! :0

MMMMMMMMM....Girl Scouts Samoas.........
droolfactor10.gif

Great review! Keep up the pics as well. I have a 6000, only a few weeks old but nothing close to being as oily as yours.

cloudsofcuba said:
Great review! Keep up the pics as well. I have a 6000, only a few weeks old but nothing close to being as oily as yours.
[snapback]244364[/snapback]​

Hi Clouds,

This 6K had a nice sheen, but it took a little combustion heat to make the oil really show. Some sticks only gloss up near the burn edge, but this one just blossomed all over. Like I said above, good tobacco :thumbs: to Padron.

Wilkey

IMHO you really can't go wrong with anything in these series. I am a big fan of anything Padron, and have even picked up some of their "lesser" babies commonly only sold around Little Havana here for cents and have been quite pleased.

Great review.

I must be getting impatient in my old age. I knock one of these off in 55 minutes these days.

*sigh* I miss the relaxed days of my recent near-youth.

Wilkey

Ahhh the good old days when Wilkey always had cookies or cake with him when he reviewed a cigar... :thumbs:

Ahhh the good old days when Wilkey always had cookies or cake with him when he reviewed a cigar... :thumbs:
Good old days indeed. I'm working on research related to my dissertation now so those leisurely days are over, at least for the next 2 years.

Power huffing Bolivars and Paddies are SOP now. :D

Wilkey

Great review Wilkey. I prefer the 2000 and 3000 in this line, but it is hard to find fault with anything Padron... BTW, I prefer Oreo's :laugh:

- Doug

....what a "necro-thread".... :laugh:

I keep a couple boxes of Padron 2K's in regular wrapper and a couple of maduro wrapper in the cabinet pretty much all the time as my "go to" smoke. In fact, I'm off to the deck with a 2K natural right now..... :cool:

Any of the Padron x000 series are wonderful smokes for the money; perhaps some of the best you can have at the price. My rotation gives me ~ 6 months on the box "in wating" so anytime I pull a 2K they are roughly 6 mos old. Word up, new guys - find something you like and get a couple, maybe three boxes. Smoke out of one, replace it when you get to box two. You'll have well cared for, carefully aged smokes that way. Hard to go wrong with any of the Padron x000 line, IMHO..... :thumbs:

Best Regards - B.B.S.