• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Trinidad Reyes, Habana

Ginseng

Banned
Today's study smoke was the Reyes, one of the top flight Habana marques made today, Trinidad. The accompaniments were homemade pumpkin bread and bottled water. Taking advantage of some unseasonably warm weather, I retired to my garage lounge for some writing and smoking.

The Trinidad Reyes is the only production Habana in the "Reyes" vitola de galera. Measuring 4.375" x 40 rg, it is just a hair thinner than popular "Minutos" such as Bolivar Coronas Junior (BoliCJ or BCJ), Partagas Shorts and Ramon Allones Small Club Corona (RSCC). It is also just a smidge longer than "Franciscanos" such as the Partagas and Romeo & Julieta Tres Petit Coronas. The net result is a cigar with compact but elegant proportions. And with the little pigtail on the cap, it's just about the cutest little cigar I've ever seen.

Prelight and Initial Stage
This was a well constructed stick. The wrapper was a silky though not particularly oily EMS-colorado claro, light to medium brown and very uniform with fine veins. The cap was perfectly laid and the pigtail was delicately twisted. Prelight aroma was delicate and gave no hint of the fireworks to come. Packing of the bunch was spot on being neither too firm nor too soft. A quick slice with my blade and the game was afoot.

Light-up was easy and a few puffs later, the cigar was burning nicely. The first thing I noticed was the huge volume of rich, mouth-filling smoke from such a tiny stick. Very impressive. Then pow! I was suddenly accosted by crisp peppery notes that grabbed me by the eyeballs. The spicy and stimulating piquancy persisted for exactly the first half inch then rapidly subsided, revealing a delicate but wonderfully creamy sensation. Dropping back to a medium strength, layers of tasty bean and floral notes came to the fore. Smoke volume remained amazingly robust.

The ash was a stiff medium gray and the burn tended to run on one side, but it was nothing a few dabs couldn't take care of. Wow, just such an amazing transition in flavors all the while supported by a soothing richness and creaminess. Delightful!

Finish and Final Impressions
The first ashing came at the midpoint of the stick and revealed a very slight coning. The flavor stayed true, maintaining an aromatic and richly floral character. At this point, I could no longer concentrate on my work as this little wonder was just too engrossing. At about the last third, the cigar took another turn. The body thickened and flavors evolved toward nuts and earth with a lush woodiness. The strength also revved up again, stirring me from my bliss. That such complexity and development could be had in a cigar this small was simply astounding.

At the 60 minute mark! The Reyes remained poised, delivering ever deepening flavor and power without the slightest hint of harshness. Truly a testament to the stellar quality of the tobacco, the blending and the rollers. The draw, as it was from the very beginning, was perfect providing just the right measure of resistance. The aroma also remained light to medium and very pleasant, just like the aftertaste.

Finally, at the 70-minute mark, I simply could not hold onto it because my fingers started to burn. And so with great reluctance and even greater satisfaction, I put this cigar down. A testament to just how mesmerized I was with this little wonder is that there is no intermediate "long ash" shot. I just couldn't bear to put it down.

In summation: Though the Reyes is a small cigar, its size belies the utter excellence of almost every aspect of the experience. While one may be tempted to think it could be casually smoked in 30 minutes, I'd disagree by saying that it has so much to offer and is so involving that it merits attention and devotion commensurate with its magnificent qualities. About the same size as the ever-popular Party Shorts, it delivers a smoking experience that is simply a level beyond. It earns my highest possible recommendation.

(IMG:http://i61.photobucket.com/albums/h73/Gins...inidadreyes.jpg)

Wilkey

Great review. I am always looking for a smaller sized smoke like this. It has been a while since I had a a Trin and now I will have to find this stick.

Always great reading your reviews Wilkey - - I learn allot. Sounds like a great smoke and one I will need to search out. :whistling:

Lkyman - Scott

Awesome review Wilkey, goodness I love reading your reviews, they make me crave another stick so bad! :)

Just a note. I received this stick in a trade so no information is known regarding its vintage. However, based on other accounts, it's not impossible that this may be from a fairly recent box code. In any case, at a cost of about $5.25 USD/stick, I can think of a lot of other "super-premiums" that it far outclasses. Is it any wonder I'm going to be putting down a SBN-24 for enjoyment throughout the coming year? :D

Wilkey

PS. The cake was good. But it was the fourth loaf in two weeks that my wife made. :p

Really an enthraling review of my favorite ISOM brand. I felt like I was there smoking one with you although I had no cake. :D Sounds like another hit from Trinidad showing once more that no matter the size this smokes for real. I was going to inquire about the box code, but seeing your follow up I see no info on that. No matter still one to get IMO (even if only a 3 pack) no matter the box code. Just recently I've seen some pretty good deals on Trini boxes so if you or anyone else is keen for a box split do PM me.

Very nice review. I recently tried these( I love the Coloniales and Fundadores) for the first time a couple of weeks ago. The flavor was intense and very comnplex for a cigar this size. I hadn't bought them because I felt the price for a tres petite was very high, I bought a ton of Coloniales instead.

Once I tried the Reyes I was hooked, didn't matter about the price anyore, I bought 2 boxes.

What a nice looking cigar! Great review Ginseng! :thumbs:

Nice review :thumbs: . I picked up a Trini Reyes 04 and had it sometime around July 05. I was so impressed as well - i bought a box of 24.

Damn, Wilkey! I was smoking that thing right along with you... very nice review! :thumbs:

Was this your entry in the C.Gars taste test challenge? I'd say it's a sure winner!

Great review, bro. My favorite short stick, although it usually takes me at least 45 minutes to an hour to finish one. I've so far tried the Reyes and the Robusto Extra and both have been fabulous.

Gentlemen,

I'm really gratified to see that so many of you experienced Habanphiles enjoy the Reyes as well. :thumbs: I'd probably be safe in saying that this would be an economical and accessible introduction to the Trinidad marque.

An hour of peaceful solitude is about all I can ever sneak away with and so a cigar of this size is just perfect.

stevehawk,
Forgive my immodesty but I did indeed send this along to CGars. ;)

Wilkey

Ginseng said:
stevehawk,
Forgive my immodesty but I did indeed send this along to CGars. ;)

Wilkey
[snapback]255478[/snapback]​

No modest man ever did or ever will make a fortune.
-- Lady Mary Wortley Montagu
1689-1762, British Society Figure, Letter Writer

Great review! I'll have to pick some up if LCDH has them when I'm there in a few weeks. Sounds like an outstanding little smoke!

Great review! I am glad to see so many others enjoy this cigar as well. I have never met a Trini I didn't like and this is no exception.

One of my favorites for this size of cigar and a box purchase is in the very near future!

Thanks,

Chad

Ginseng said:
Just a note. I received this stick in a trade so no information is known regarding its vintage. However, based on other accounts, it's not impossible that this may be from a fairly recent box code. In any case, at a cost of about $5.25 USD/stick, I can think of a lot of other "super-premiums" that it far outclasses. Is it any wonder I'm going to be putting down a SBN-24 for enjoyment throughout the coming year? :D

Wilkey

PS. The cake was good. But it was the fourth loaf in two weeks that my wife made. :p
[snapback]255113[/snapback]​
I was gifted a couple of these recently as well and they were amazing. I know they were 05 vintage and I nubbed both of them. The last one I was soo enthralled with I went inside and pulled my wife outside to try it. Oops... I think I've just gotten her hooked on the dark side.

Rockin review!
Cheers!
- C