• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

OpusX Fuente Fuente

Ginseng

Banned
What can I say about Fuente and OpusX that has not already been said? The Fuente cigar empire is one of the best run and highest quality operations in the cigar world. The OpusX line is their flagship and one of the most sought after cigars made today.

Much of what I've learned about Fuente and their cigars has come from conversations with resident expert, Moki (Andrew), and from visiting his Rare Fuente Cigars webpage. He has immense knowledge about cigars in general and about Fuente products in particular. Some would say he has an obsession with Opus. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif) When you visit his website, make sure you check out the pages of snapshots from his visit to the Fuente Cigar Factory in the Dominican Republic. It will give you a whole new appreciation for the production side of the cigar industry.

I need to preface this review by saying that I have never really been a fan of Fuente products. It's not that I dislike them, but at one point of another, I've tried cigars from all of their lines and there has not been that "special connection." I can certainly recognize the elements of their quality, the construction, the wrappers, the draw. But no bells ring, I see no stars and after I'm done, I don't feel the urge to have another. It's almost the complete opposite of my situation with things Padron. I enjoy everything they make and boxes from all their lines occupy places in my humidor. I guess it's a good thing that there is such a variety of smokes out there for each of us to enjoy.

Which brings us to this review. I obtained this stick, along with a few others in trade with Andrew. I mentioned my situation regarding Fuente and he packed up a selection to refresh my experience with this marque. My thanks to brother Moki for sharing of his knowledge and cigars.

Today's study smoke, the OpusX Fuente Fuente was accompanied by a cup of fresh-brewed joe and home-made apple crisp. For those who have never had apple crisp with three kinds of apples, topped by a crispy, buttery oat topping, you're missing one of the quintessential pleasures of Autumn (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif) And so, taking advantage of what is likely the last 57-degree day of the season, I plunked down on the porch to do my business.

Prelight and Initial Stage
The construction was top notch. Perfectly rolled and perfectly filled with a nicely centered cap. The wrapper was a lovely Colorado-rosado that was finely toothy and lightly oily with fine veining. Just beautiful in all aspects. Prelight aroma was light and earthy. Very nice.

A quick snip and spark and the the game was on. Light-up was uneventful and the flame released wonderful peppery notes to tickle the nose. The draw was on the loose side of average, but still quite acceptable. The first half inch or so provided solid medium-bodied flavors of straight-up tobacco. Smoke volume was average and dry on the palate. Ash was an amazingly dense light grey with quite unusual fine dark specks. I suspect this cigar had a little age on it as it was not quite as aggressive as I was expecting. Peppery but not a pepper bomb.

Finish and Final Impressions
The cigar continued to deliver solid tobacco flavors throughout the first half with the pepperiness coming and going. There was also a nice undertone of earthiness and wood. Unfortunately, there was a quite persistent run on one side. About a quarter of an inch wide, it needed frequent tending. Perhaps because I was smoking outside in an occasional light breeze, but I can't say that the cigar really developed much complexity or changed much in character. For what it was delivering, it was doing that well and with power. What was most satisfying was the good balance of straight-up leaf, medium body and pure, clean aftertaste.

The cigar finished up pretty much exactly as it started. A consistent and admirable performance. At no point did it get harsh or bitter, even with insistent huffing. But when I got up to grab lunch before class, that's when things got funky. Whoa! Major nicotine buzz. My legs were wobbly and I had that fluttery feeling in my stomach. Not an entirely bad feeling, it felt like being drunk while ravenously hungry. Even 45 minutes later, I could feel the buzz as I got in my car to drive.

In summation:
A solid performer which delivers pure, true tobacco flavor with medium body. Deceptively strong, packing a potent nicotine punch that sneaks up on you as the cigar is smooth, earthy and not harsh at all. Recommended.

(IMG:http://i61.photobucket.com/albums/h73/Gins...ws/OpusFF01.jpg)

Postscript
While the cigar had been in my humidor for a few weeks, it was in its original cello. Normally I remove the wrapper so sticks can come up to my preferred 67-69% RH. I suspect that had I done this, the experience could have been somewhat different. I prefer this range for all my smokes (ISOM as well as NC) because to me, cigars deliver a richer smoke with more depth.

Wilkey

Great review of course, but an even greater cigar. I love the size. I think I'll make it my everyday smoke.........after I hit the lottery. :sign:

Ginseng,

Gotta say that I really love the way you write. You have got the have some the best written and well grammered reviews I read. Not that anybody else does a poor good job, but I've got to say it's nice to see that some people KNOW how to write...it comes across very good.
Other than that...the Fuente Fuente size is one of my favorites of the Opus X line. I do usually experience better changes and more full bodied "POW" out of them, but then again mine aren't as old as Moki's. Glad you liked it...so now, "STOP IT"!!! :whistling:

-Fetter :thumbs:

Another great review of a ongoing classic & standard of a premium cigar to so many. I tend to agree with your assesment (from my very limited Opus experience) about the lack of attraction ()or better to say obsession) to Opus as a brand. I for one am still a relative Opus virgin awaiting for the right occasion (but mostly the right source) before plunging into yet another Padron like obsession.

Awesome review Wilkey, I have never had an Opus X ,if you can believe it.. I think its time I changed that after reading your review :)

natejustice said:
Awesome review Wilkey, I have never had an Opus X ,if you can believe it.. I think its time I changed that after reading your review :)
[snapback]256564[/snapback]​

Hi Nate, ML237,
If you've never had one, I do recommend you at least try one. If you can get over the reputation and the stunning band, there is some seriously good tobacco in there. I know that sometimes we feel like we're supposed to like something with such a powerful reputation, but that's not how it always turns out. But then it might be. :D

FetterJ,
:thumbs:

Wilkey

I like Opus X and had one when I first got into cigars. So I hadnt heard of the reputation and hype it has. They are a great stick, but if it came down to having a Padron Anni 64 or a 1926, I'd take the latter before the Opus X. I save the Opus for something really special and the spice of it suits me just fine. At least I can enjoy it unlike other cigars.

Damnit Wilkey! For some reason your reviews are the only ones that make me hungry :p

lucasbuck said:
Damnit Wilkey! For some reason your reviews are the only ones that make me hungry :p
[snapback]256742[/snapback]​

Hey Craig,

We've all got our own problems. I've gained 4 pounds since I started having snacks with my cigars. :p

But, I'm thinking it might not be the one serving I have with the stogie but the four or five that go solo. :whistling: Pies, brownies, donuts, apple crisp... I promise the next review will include something healthy like rice cakes, tofu strips or sprouts. :thumbs:

Naaaaaaaaaahhhhhhh! :sign: :D

Wilkey

Very nice review Ginseng :thumbs: Sounds like an excellent smoke. I'll have to acquire some Opus X in the future.

Wilkey, do you eat before, during or after your smoke? Me, I eat first then smoke. I know a guy that smokes cigarettes while he's eating. Nasty!!

Shibumi said:
Wilkey, do you eat before, during or after your smoke? Me, I eat first then smoke. I know a guy that smokes cigarettes while he's eating. Nasty!!
[snapback]257553[/snapback]​

Hi Jeff,

I would characterize it as long periods of simply smoking, punctuated by occasional sips of drink and bites of food. When I have water handy, I usually take a sip after the snack so the palate is ready to go again. So far, this approach seems to be working for me.

I sure would not suck in a mouthful of smoke while I had mashed apples and coffee in my mouth...that's making me queasy just thinking about it :p

Wilkey

:laugh: Cool, that sounds better. I also drink during a smoke, but the food I eat before or an hour after. I like the taste of the cigar after It's smoked and the food would mask that. I just pictured you taking a bite, then a puff. Yuck!

Keep those reviews coming. :thumbs:

Great review :)

I've resently gotten my hands on a few Opus of different sizes, no Funte Fuente though and your review really makes me want to light one up. But since it's around 35 degrees and a light rain here in Stockholm I think I'll save them for later when I can sit down in comfort and smoke it without freezing my a.. off.

Wilkey you left too much of that Opus X. Smoke the rest of that nub! :laugh:

Zeebra said:
Wilkey you left too much of that Opus X. Smoke the rest of that nub! :laugh:
[snapback]258097[/snapback]​

Zee,

I hear ya, man. Would you believe it took me almost 80 minutes to get it to that point? I must the slowest damn huffer on the planet. :rolleyes:

To make it up to all the Fuente Fans out there, I promise to burn out my fingerprints on a naughty little Shark that's just waiting for the right moment. :D But before that, an even naughtier PSP2.

Wilkey

nisse62 said:
Great review :)

I've resently gotten my hands on a few Opus of different sizes, no Funte Fuente though and your review really makes me want to light one up. But since it's around 35 degrees and a light rain here in Stockholm I think I'll save them for later when I can sit down in comfort and smoke it without freezing my a.. off.
[snapback]258089[/snapback]​

Hi nisse62,

Nice to hear form you. Stockholm, very nice. :thumbs: I would agree that a drizzly 35F is a bit cold for smoking, normally.

Wilkey

Great review! Hit the spot especially with Aiz being so busy these days.
Great pics as well. The crisp looked just as good as the cigar. :D

Ginseng said:
...it took me almost 80 minutes to get it to that point? I must the slowest damn huffer on the planet. :rolleyes:

[snapback]258135[/snapback]​

I hear ya Wilkey. These are not big smokes but they burn for a long time, and I am a fast smoker.

I too like to periodically punctuate my herfing with a little bite. I find fresh fruit is really nice as it is refreshing. But sweets work too.

Great review.

Great review, once again the pics are awesome! Smoked one of these just the other day in fact...while enjoying a football game and the wireless internet connection of my local cigar shop. :thumbs: Took me around 90 minutes to smoke this thing as well. This being the second Opus I have smoked (first being the No. 4). Both smoked at a fairly slow pace. I noticed the Fuente Fuente to be a little bit stronger than the No. 4, but it wasn't enough to make my head swim. I really want to try the Lancero next...boys at the shop seem to favor that one for spiciness/strength opposed to the others.