• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

How a wrapper affects taste

Ginseng

Banned
One of the great unresolved mysteries of cigar smoking is contained in a seemingly simple question:

"How much does wrapper contribute to the flavor of a cigar?"

The debate always seems to polarize cigar smokers into two camps. In one corner, there are those who are convinced that since there is so little wrapper, the effect must be small, let's say in the range of 5-20%. I get the sense that most casual cigar smokers fall into this camp. In the other corner, there are those who believe that the actual number is much higher, say 60-80%. From my readings, most cigar makers tend to belong to this latter group. So, who are we to believe? Our cigar smoking brothers or those who make the cigars? Who is right? And by what reckoning?

The question has been rattling around in my head for some time and I haven't been able to reconcile the paradox. Surely the blenders and cigar makers must know something of cigars. What are we, as non-producers, missing? And as for "Joe Smoker," rarely, there have been accounts of situations where for one reason or another, a cigar is smoked without its wrapper and the result can usually be paraphrased as "it was changed, but it wasn't a totally different cigar."

But then recently, I read an analogy about the effect of wrapper and it made a lightbulb go off in my head. This is not my analogy as I read it somewhere, but I think it's apt. I will, however, take responsibility for the elaboration of the analogy.

"Think of the wrapper like the final, defining dash of salt or spice to a dish."

So, the wrapper does not really contribute 70% of the total amount of flavor of the cigar. The stumbling block with this conception is the tiny amount, by mass, of the wrapper. However, this is not the most constructive analysis. There are two reasons for this and they are both related. First, although the mass of wrapper is only a small percentage of the entire cigar, the wrapper resides wholly on the exterior of the cigar and it is the only leaf that is exposed directly to the nose as the cigar burns. Second, because of this particularly favored location, the wrapper exerts an influence that is potentially well out of proportion to its mass.

Here then was the toehold I needed to deconstruct and deconvolute the seeming paradox of wrapper contribution to flavor. The key was that makers and smokers were smoking the same cigars but thinking about flavor contribution in two different ways.

Cigar makers and blenders come at the creation of cigars from the perspective of assembling multiple components that sum to a single, complex "personality." A gestalt if you will. Each component is scrutinized not only for how much it adds in an absolute sense, but the effect on the personality of the cigar. Cigar smokers, in contrast, necessarily experience the cigar as a monolithic entity. We do not think of cigar in terms of the number of leaves of different varieties that make up a cigar. To quote Freud, "a cigar is just a cigar." We do not know, nor do we really care what is inside the black box, only that the box tastes good.

In other words, the wrapper can be perceived to contribute anywhere from a little to a lot of the character of the cigar. If the wrapper is delicate, mild and/or generally echoes the flavors of the filler and binder, then the wrapper will be perceived as contributing "a little." However, if the wrapper is distinctive and has either a strongly antagonistic or harmonizing relationship to the filler, then the wrapper will be perceived as contributing "a lot" to the character of the cigar.

I find that when I approach the concept of wrapper in this way, both extremes of the perspective can be reconciled. What do you guys think?

Wilkey

A good summation, not favoring one argument or the other Wilkey.

Many will argue that the wrapper provides the taste. Case in point would be the natural versus the maduro wrapper of the some brand of cigar. Clearly there is a difference in taste by simply exchanging the wrapper around the same tobacco.

When a cigar is young the wrapper, IMO, dictates the taste. When the cigar is left to age is this still the same scenario. To answer this question I would have to separate ISOM's and NC's. Personally I think that NC's, let us take AF's for this example, are wrapper taste predominant. Whereas, ISOM's are not wrapper dominated but rather a blend, through age, of wrapper, binder and filler.

My summary would be - NC's taste is about the wrapper, ISOM's are NOT about the wrapper.

Just my 2c.

Brian

That's a unique perspective on the situation, Brian. I had never heard it formulated in that way but I can see your logic. NC's and Cubans are also different in the sense that many NC cigars come in versions where cigars differ presumably only in terms of the wrapper. There is no analog to this with Habanos since they are puros. The availability of wrapper-only variants, in theory, would allow the cigar smoker to perform an analog to the cigar maker's blending experiments.

Wilkey

So then the restated rule would be:

"The wrapper contributes 70% of the personality or character of the taste"

instead of just the taste itself. Do I understand you correctly?

I can see how this makes sense, as those steeped in the appreciation of cigars are going to be more likely to say a small change is a "complete" change, because to them it makes a huge difference, as they're paying attention to the subtleties that differentiate cigars.

I have tried the different wrapper combinations myself, smoking one right after the other, in WOAN vs WOAM, in Padron '26s, and in some Indian Tabac products. In those cases, and in my opinion, the differences are huge. They really did seem like completely different cigars to me (and I don't consider myself an expert by any means).

KevPriest

:D I agree with most points but we seem to over look the amount of filler and binder changes we do not know about(the blend). We give that credit to ISOM's but not to NCs. Take the WOAN and WOAM I do not know but is there a change in the amount of filler and binder in the blend?
Without a doubt the wrapper is the initial aroma/flavor to tease the palette but once the burn starts up the amount of smoke contributed by the wrapper during smoking is passes through the wrapper and binder and would gain or add to the flavors like a filter. Age of course is also a huge defining factor.
Just a few comments. :cool:
DarrenR
Nice thread.

As Socrates was reputed to have said,"all I know is that I know nothing." I've been smoking cigars for 35yrs. and I never fail to learn something new about them everyday here. Thanks Wilkey.

Doc.

How about cigarillo's(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cigarillo).
Are they not just wrapper?
How about figurado cigars.
When lit these immediately exude flavor.
I would tender to believe that the flavors from the wrapper are the predominate tones of a smoke. The binder and filler blend with the wrapper. When I clip a cap on some smokes, to test the draw, I enjoy the flavors of the wrapper. I don't tongue the cigar to taste the filler. It's the wrapper that provides flavor and the filler and binder provide body.

My .02$

edited for link I found : http://www2.cigarweekly.com/magazine/inter...9808_torano.php

Me thinks yer putting too much into this..."a cigar is just a cigar" LOL