• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

BRPIB Reviews

tigger

gutter-grade asstrash
This here thread is the one for reviews and comments on reviews for BRPIB cigars. There's a separate "recordkeeping" thread in the "Passes in Progress" room.

Blind Review - Pay It Backward
Review #1

Here I am with a second blind review in as many weeks – how lucky am I, huh? Thanks tigger for the opportunity to try this cigar.

Setup: The temp here on my back deck is perfect at 65 degrees. The sky is a wonderful blue with some clouds.

4b5.jpg

570.jpg

Prelight: Today’s mystery cigar is a 6” mocha-colored torpedo, with a ring gauge of 50 I’d guess. It appears to be well-constructed with no obvious flaws and only very minor veining. This cigar has a mildly sweet odor. The pre-cut taste of the torpedo’s tip reveals a minimal, spicy flavor – no sweetness at all. I clip the tip at an angle with my double bladed cutter without any problems and take a sample draw. The draw could be a touch easier for my tastes, but it’s not tight by any means. So far, everything about this experience is progressing just fine.

Light and Initial Impressions: I toast the foot and take the first few puffs from the cigar. The flavor is very pleasant and reminiscent of other cigars I have smoked. My initial thought: “is this a Fuente?” I look at the cigar and take a few more draws. If this cigar was a shade or two darker I would declare it to be an AF Cuban Beli. I don’t like to guess at what a cigar is when I do a blind review. Instead, I prefer to give the stick its own attention without trying to assign comparisons, so I give up on guessing and re-focus on what I am experiencing.

Although the flavor is very nice, this cigar does not put out a lot of smoke. The ash is a light- to medium-gray shade that appears very tight. A few minutes into the cigar and I’m noticing a light “oily” aftertaste or film on my tongue. It’s not unpleasant, just different. At an inch into the cigar, the burn so far is nice and even. This is a mild-medium, creamy cigar at this point.

bdf.jpg

One-third Point: I tap off the first ash at an inch and a half. As I suspected it is very compact and I’m easily able to pick it up and put it down without it crumbling. The flavor has changed somewhat as I am reminded of fried chicken! I swear, this is what I’m tasting. Strange as it’s never happened with any other cigar. The volume of smoke has picked up a bit, but still not voluminous. The chicken flavor disappears as quickly as it appeared and I detect the first hints of spiciness. I’m kinda glad as I was beginning to think Willy Wonka had started rolling cigars.

7b3.jpg

Rest of the Cigar: By the halfway point, the spiciness has really picked up. The cigar has not lost its smoothness, though, and is still a pleasing cigar. At the two-third point, the spice has ebbed and the pleasant, oily aftertaste has returned. The cigar has not turned harsh at all and there is no tar build up. The ash has turned a darker shade of gray. I put it down for good with about an inch and a half left unsmoked. My watch shows that the total smoking time was approximately an hour and fifteen minutes.

Overall Impression: This was a very nice, pleasant cigar. It was not as full-bodied as I normally prefer so, for me anyway, this is a cigar I would pick up when I wanted a nice, relaxing afternoon or morning smoke.

The reveal:
So, what was is this cigar that I smoked. the envelope, please…

9fe.jpg

Thanks for the nice cigar, Tim, and for another chance to do a blind review. It was great, and I thoroughly enjoyed every minute of it! :thumbs:

Wow,

Great job, Steve. I've never experienced a cigar tasting like chicken but you actually made it sound ok. So, was it dark meat or light? :p

Wilkey

The flavor has changed somewhat as I am reminded of fried chicken!

Oops. Meant to send you one I hadn't stored in my KFCador. :p

Very nice review Steve. These are a bit less full-bodied than I normally smoke too, but once in awhile they really hit the spot. Nice guess on Fuente, as that's what these are for all intents and purposes.

Thanks for participating...

The "chicken" taste lasted about 3 puffs before disappearing. I was tempted to let it pass without comment but had to include it -- it was just too weird not to mention. ???

KFCador, huh? LOL! It tasted more like mom's home made from when I was a kid. White meat, of course, Wilkey.

I guess we know what the roller had for lunch.

Today is a cold, gray, totally dreary day out, so I thought it would be a good time to do the PIB review of the mystery stick that I got from Steve. So I lit a fire, grabbed a bottle of water and went to work!!

DSC01387.jpg

It's a nice dark, slightly box pressed torp, looks to be about 6 x 50 or 52, with a currant and chocolate smell. Man, it smelled good!! Good construction, nice firm feel all the way up. I clipped it with my Xikar. (I gotta give them props, I dropped it and it fell apart, mailed it back, they sent me a new one in about 2 weeks!! :thumbs: ). The draw was perfect, and I could taste the currant/chocolate flavors. I toasted it, and started puffin'!

It produced a lot of smoke right away, and lasted though out the whole cigar. The burn was slightly uneven, and the ash had a little flakyness. The ash dropped about 1" in. No pronounced flavors, just a pretty good tobacco taste. The pre-light flavors did not come through, and I was a little disappointed in that. No taste of chicken, just in case it was something in the air out there :whistling: :laugh: .

The burn evened out about the midway point. The longest ash was 1&1/2". I put it down with about 3" left. I have to say, for as dark as it was, I was expecting more of a medium bodied smoke, but it was pretty mild. Good tobacco flavor, never got harsh or bitter. Not something I'd smoke weekly, but still glad I gave it a try.

Now the moment of truth. The envelope please.......(did you use enough tape on that, damn!)

DSC01388.jpg

And the winner is...... A Trinidad box pressed belicoso! As dark as it was, I think it's the maduro, but need Steve to confirm that.

Thanks Steve!!

Nice reviews from both of you! This is a pretty cool idea, maybe we will get it going with the second leg of the blind PIF too

Yes, this was a maduro.

I pick blind review cigars for one of two reasons: I want someone to try what I think is a good tasting stick at a value price, or I want a person to try a higher priced stick that I think is over-valued. This one was sent for the second reason. Your experience was similar to mine with this cigar. I found it to be an "okay" stick, but there are a lot nicer ones out there for the price, IMO.

Good review! :thumbs:

I am going to be gone for the weekend so wnated to make sure I get the review posted today so here we go.

The cigar is Perfecto shaped vitola that seemed to have a perfect construction and a perfect aroma

2-5.jpg

Prelight draw was very pleasant and the lighting itself was effortless. This baby started opening up flavor wise right away which is very rare in my experience with this shape.

Amazing taste of complex spices. Lots of creamy smoke. Such complexity with no harshness is a huge plus in my book. The ash was very tight hinting at the quality of the cigar. To be honest I liked it so much I was not focusing so much on the review at this point just being in the moment and enjoying the smoke.

3-5.jpg

The ash fell right at the half point, but would have held on longer if not for me taking pictures at stuff.

The profile remained the same all throughout. Jst lots of amazing spice with complexity that makes your mind wonder just how do they get so much flavor in the tobacco.

Neddless to say I nubbed this baby

4-2.jpg

Could not hold out much longer from the anticipation of knowing what the cigar is. I approached the unvelope with both eagerness to know the name and hope of this being something that I can afford in the future.

Well Mr_Wolf you delivered a knockout an 11 on a 10 point scale

1-5.jpg

Not only was this on my wish list to try it was also one of the best cigars I ever had the pleasure to enjoy. Zino Platinum Chubby !!!!
All I can say is

youaretheman.gif
youaretheman.gif

Nice review! Sounds like this is a worthy special occasion cigar. Well done, Dan and Dan. :D

Wilkey

Glad you liked it!! :thumbs: I tried to pop a few off of your wish list!

There is not a lot of aroma in the toasting of the foot, however it lit easily. It tasted a little grassy when I first lit the cigar. Good draw, very firm which I like. There is an easy draw and lots of smoke also a plus. The flavor is a little to mild for my taste. There is a hint of pepper although not much and it is medium in strength.
1467496068_l.jpg

The smoke is a little on the hot side which I consider a negative. So far this feels like it will not be a memorable smoke. The first inch had an uneven burn, but seems to be straightening itself out. I can’t guess what this is after the first two inches, it tastes like a lot of mediocre cigars that I have smoked in the past.
1467496982_l.jpg

That grassyness seems to be lingering in the background and it has cooled down a bit. It holds the ash well at about 2 inches but I can tell it is about to fall off. It is burning unevenly again but the ash seems to be holding on. I don’t think I will be buying a box of these, but I would smoke a few more singles to be sure this one was not just a fluke. The ash fell off at about two plus inches. At the half way mark the cigar has stopped the grassy taste and is starting to get a familiar taste.
1467498614_l.jpg

I can tell now that it is remindful of a Fuente in its aroma and flavor but I guess we will have to see if I am correct in my assumption. This is a long cigar. I don’t usually smoke a cigar of this length.. The second half is much better than the first half but still not a memorable smoke.
1467499942_l.jpg

Okay as I said I wont be buying a box of these. The back half was much better then the front half. This was a mediocre cigar at best, sorry CD!

Now it is time for the envelope; and the cigar is as I guessed an AF Double Chatteau Fuente.

Just a note I smoked this cigar earlier today. I have had a few Delmore Scotch drinks on the rocks today, very good I might add. Hopefully this review is somewhat coherent and the spelling and grammar are not to bad.
Happy Thanksgiving All!

Nice review, BT. Sorry you didn't care for the stick. I've never been fond of the Chateau either but I've never had the maduro.

Wilkey

Great review BT. I know this cigar is popular among the Fuente Fans which I gathered you are one yourself. So I was very curious to hear a blind opinion on this stick from a Fuente fan. Yours was very much in line with what I have experienced myself.

I am a Fuente fan CD, I like the Hmingways, 858's, Opus, and the Rothschilds. It wasn't bad, it just was typical. I still enjoyed doing the review. Like I said I will try them again. I may have a different opinion next time.