• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Fuente Añejo Shark

KayakinBoy

I was raised in the canebrake by an ol' mama lion
Recently, I've had terrible Anejos and King Bs. I believe someone pointed out to me a few weeks ago about the large amounts of tar that seem to be building up on the end of my cigar. Last night, I decided to watch Law and Order SVU and smoke an Anejo Shark, in hopes that this would occur and I could document it.

First off the basics we all know. The Anejo Shark is made by Fuente. It's mainly available as a holiday release around Christmas and New Year's. It has a Connecticut broad leaf maduro, and all of the tobacco is aged in cognac barrels (if I remember correctly). The cigar is square at the foot, somewhat rounds out in the middle, and then comes to a "Belicoso" point at the cap.

This cigar seemed to have great construction. Somewhat smooth wrapper, pleasant smell (sweet really), and only one spot that seem to stick out. It looked like a small patch. I lit the cigar with a match and started off with a nice burn. I began to smoke the cigar per usually, and like any other shark, I tried to hold the ash as long as I could. I never have gotten it to stand up like some people have. :laugh:

As I took a break between puffs, I began to notice the tar build up...
Anejo1.jpg

I tried using a wet paper towel to take some of the tar off. It smelled disgusting. This was the worst cigar related smell I had ever smelled. I washed my hands and went back to trying to enjoy the cigar.
Anejo2.jpg

As I got further into the Anejo, I could not help but keep tasting tar. The only thing I can compare the taste of that tar to is chewing tobacco or dip. I tried it once or twice in high school and it pretty much tasted just like that.
icon8.gif
Notice in the picture below the spots on the cigar where the tar is seen that I tried to wipe off.
Anejo4.jpg

Finally, I just got tried of smoking the disgusting cigar. I stopped a little bit after I took this last picture. From what I've read, it's not really a common thing to get a cigar "loaded" with tar problems. I hate to add this to the list of Fuente issues we've all seen lately, but I think it will be a while till I smoke an Anejo.
Anejo5.jpg

Wow, that's one of the worst cases of tar buildup I've seen. Maybe I'm just lucky but I've never had an anejo (although I only smoked 10 or so) with that type of tar build up. Hopefully the next one will make up for the bad experience.

*edit to add: Btw, any chance a constant touching with the tip of your tongue and too much saliva make the tar buildup worse? Doesn't seem like it's overly saturated with saliva but I find it interesting how it's right in the middle.

Damn, that looks disgusting.

Never smoked a Shark, but have had plenty of #50’s and #46.
I have never had tar build up with those.
I’m thinking this a problem for the latest production run.

Can't see the photos from work, but I've heard about this problem from others.

I can't say I've ever had such an experience with any Anejo. I'll look for it next time. Sounds bad.

Dude, you are a trooper to keep smoking that thing with the tar! LOL

I have had tar like that happen once with an Opus and once with a Tatuaje Noella. Once I taste that tar, I pitch the cigar...it is hopeless. It really is a terrible taste!

I have had tar like that happen once with an Opus

I almost went for one of those last night, and if it had happened with that, I would have cried. :laugh:

Just thinking outside the box here, but is the tar build-up just at the very end, or does it extend 1/8", 1/4", whatever, up into the leaf?

Many times I snip a Torp / Perfecto shape closer to the tip than normal, and part way through the smoke, snip it a little further up.

So, if the build-up extends 1/8" up (or right at the snip), is it an option to snip it again, ~ 1/2 way through the smoke?

Just thinking outside the box here, but is the tar build-up just at the very end, or does it extend 1/8", 1/4", whatever, up into the leaf?

Many times I snip a Torp / Perfecto shape closer to the tip than normal, and part way through the smoke, snip it a little further up.

So, if the build-up extends 1/8" up (or right at the snip), is it an option to snip it again, ~ 1/2 way through the smoke?

I have had tar buildup occur on cigars now and again including some Anejos. I just clip a bit off and things are pretty much all happy again.

It is important to make sure that you do NOT get any of the buildup on your lips or tongue. If you do, you may as well let the cigar go out as the incredibly harsh and acrid taste sticks to your pallette for quite a while.

The past few months I've been smoked about 8 #46's from '06 and I'd say easily 5 of them have had a tar issue, albeit not as bad as your shark. I have also smoked two sharks within the past few months and yes, tar on both of them. Fortunately for every stick where I have experienced this, it has only been for the first third or so. After that, I have been good to go.

BTW, my wife looks at me funny and questions my judgement of smoking these cigars when she see's me wiping this 'filthy gunk' off of them. I'd stop but they taste too damn good.

-Bob

I will admit that I am pretty new smoker, but I have never seen anything like that before. I think I would have freaked out if my cigar looked like that, and I hadn't seen this thread.

Wow. That's truly disgusting. I give you a lot of credit for smoking down as far as you did. I would have sent that disaster to the crapper once the ooze started showing up.

Wilkey

The last 2 Sharks I smoked had this problem. That's why they're the last 2 Sharks I'll smoke.

I've smoked about 30 #46s over the last couple of years and I have NEVER had a single problem with them.

I wonder what in the world causes this?

I've never had this problem, but I wonder if it is not so much tar. Could it possibly be that the tobacco is very moist and the water is acting like a catalyst to promote this goo?

Please understand that I'm not trying to attack you about your humi. I'm just trying to think of some possible cause why some people have this occur and others don't.

The last 2 Sharks I smoked had this problem. That's why they're the last 2 Sharks I'll smoke.

I've smoked about 30 #46s over the last couple of years and I have NEVER had a single problem with them.

I wonder what in the world causes this?

I've only had a few tar experiences, but they were all with torp/belis. Not sure if it's just coincidence or not.

I have had this problem. I usually clip, and did here too. I used a punch to take out a circle in the middle, and kept on smoking. I have noted a very firm cigar for the third closest to the head.

I've never had this happen to me... fairly disgusting! Well documented, KB.

Please understand that I'm not trying to attack you about your humi.

I'll kill you! :sign: :laugh:

I'm currently using an Opus X 22 Box (without the shevles of course) as a humidor. It sets between 68-70% and I usually take the cigar out for an hour or two before smoking. Bimmer, no harm, I understand what you meant.

I've only had a few tar experiences, but they were all with torp/belis. Not sure if it's just coincidence or not.

It's funny Smelly says that because the only other cigar I've seen get this bad is the King B. Granted my other Anejos have been close, but never like it was last night. I may have to fire up a couple of different Fuentes to see how they perform on this test. I'm sure I have a Fuente Sungrown Belicoso and an Opus Super Belicoso.