• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Did CI/cBid sell my info?

vinnyvega

In the past month, I've gotten three catalogs from Thompson's Cigars and a two phone calls. Calling at 8:15 am in not cool, especially on your day off. My mom's houses is getting them too. I've never placed an order with these people and I should have asked the girl from Thompson's when she called. The only place I can even think of them getting my info is from Cigars International.

I've heard trying to get off Thompson's list is like trying to get rid of herpes. You can't!!

So if CI sold my info to Thompson's, who else did they sell it to? I need to read CI's privacy policy and see if there is anything about selling personal info to third parties.

Either that or I got an enemy who signed me up on their list. :angry:

In the past month, I've gotten three catalogs from Thompson's Cigars and a two phone calls. Calling at 8:15 am in not cool, especially on your day off. My mom's houses is getting them too. I've never placed an order with these people and I should have asked the girl from Thompson's when she called. The only place I can even think of them getting my info is from Cigars International.

I've heard trying to get off Thompson's list is like trying to get rid of herpes. You can't!!

So if CI sold my info to Thompson's, who else did they sell it to? I need to read CI's privacy policy and see if there is anything about selling personal info to third parties.

Either that or I got an enemy who signed me up on their list. :angry:

This sounds very possible!

Nevermind. I found my answer. Basterds. :angry:

From CI's privacy policy:

Partners: Cigars International partners with companies that offer products and services we believe may be of interest to our customers. If you purchase a product from us, there is a chance we may exchange your name with another company whose products and services might interest you. If you do not want to have your name exchanged, contact us at any time.

You're not the only one getting those phone calls. There are complaints on several cigar forums about Thompson's annoying business practices, one of them being those phone calls trying to get you to join their cigar club. There was a joke made on another forum that you could go into witness protection and Thompson's will still send you catalogs!

I know that when my ex-boyfriend ordered from Cigars International he started getting catalogs from Holt's, JR Cigars, and Famous Smoke Shop without ever having ordered from those companies before. Sneaky bastages.

That's weird. I doubt CI would sell their customer list to a direct competitor though. Good luck getting rid of them.

Well now i know why i get all those stupid magazines in the mail. Drowning in a sea of churchills, i have to bite my tongue.
tongue.gif

My guess would be you signed up for a raffle or filled out a survey. Yes you may have been the one to win the all expense trip to a private island (probably in the middle of the Mississippi), but you also willingly gave your info to a marketer.

I find it real hard to believe that CI would sell to their competitor as was mentioned above.

My guess would be you signed up for a raffle or filled out a survey. Yes you may have been the one to win the all expense trip to a private island (probably in the middle of the Mississippi), but you also willingly gave your info to a marketer.

I find it real hard to believe that CI would sell to their competitor as was mentioned above.

I am way too impatient to do a survey and I have never signed up for a raffle. I have thought of every possible way how they got my info and this makes the best sense.

Can't help you with the unwanted catalogers, but this should help with the phone calls. National Do Not Call LIst.
I haven't had an unwanted phone call since I registered my numbers years ago.

Doc.

CI does give out your info to companies that make things like air fresheners but I HIGHLY doubt they would give your info to a direct competitor.

Let's not forget. Some of us post our addresses in our profiles for bombing and all.. Wouldn't put it past someone to sign up some where, make some posts and then just browse users names for addresses.

When was the last time you ordered from CI?
Maybe CI sold your address because they were not getting much business from you.

I too received catalogs from JR's, and Thompsons, when I never ordered from either.

When was the last time you ordered from CI?
Maybe CI sold your address because they were not getting much business from you.

I too received catalogs from JR's, and Thompsons, when I never ordered from either.

This makes a lot of sense to me. If they aren't making money off of your orders, they are going to make money off of your info. I have started receiving catalogs from other companies too that I've never done business with. Guess I should have read the fine print. :blush:

I just got off the phone for the second time with Thompson's requesting that I be removed from their mailing list. I too have never bought anything or had any contact with them before. The rep assured me that I was removed this time. I told her that I've heard that before. I would love to know which company gave them my info.

I also received another Famous catalog months after requesting that I be removed from their list. I had purchased from Famous and C.I. before as well as register on CBid. Not sure that I want to deal with any of these companies again.

I'm quite certain my one purchase from CI got me on Thompsons, Famous, and JR catalog list.

Darn right, they sell lists back and forth. Why not?! They probably trade names even with their competitors.

Thankfully I'm NOT getting phone calls. That would be the last straw with me. I can deal with the catalogs. They go straight to the recycle bin. Just chucked the Thompson's catalog the other day.

Edit: because I'm having a bad "spleeing" day...

You're not the only one getting those phone calls. There are complaints on several cigar forums about Thompson's annoying business practices, one of them being those phone calls trying to get you to join their cigar club. There was a joke made on another forum that you could go into witness protection and Thompson's will still send you catalogs!

I know that when my ex-boyfriend ordered from Cigars International he started getting catalogs from Holt's, JR Cigars, and Famous Smoke Shop without ever having ordered from those companies before. Sneaky bastages.

X2

I am under the impression that if a company decides to sell your info it's usually to a company that does nothing but turn around and flip that info to other companies. So once CI sells your info that other company can sell it to other companies that are in the cigar business as well if they wanted to. Fi Gershwin crossed I don't get an early call from Thompson's now..lol..