• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Cubao No. 1 Churchill

Kingantz

Growing too fast.
I hadn’t heard of this cigar until Jimmy (JimmyHaze) included it in a nice little bomb a few months ago. Reading up on it, the cigar is rolled out of Pepin’s factory in Esteli, Nicaragua exclusively for EO Brands/United Tobacco (601 brand). Interesting. The wrapper, smooth and oily with one prominent vein, is Ecuador Sumatra Oscuro and the binder/filler Nicaragua leaf. It’s very firm when squeezed, seems a bit heavy in the hand, and with the rounded cap punched, I find the draw with slightly more resistance than I like, however air is still coming through well enough with a strong, sweet chocolate flavor.

With the foot lit and burning good, I take a couple puffs to get the smoke flowing well, and then take a long draw. A medium white pepper spice hits the tongue and throat, the smoke itself a medium strength. I’m having to take several puffs prior to a good draw in order to get a good amount of smoke out, a bitterness is left on my lips as I go to exhale, as well as a slight bitterness in the smoke itself. I’m really not getting a lot of flavor in this cigar, possibly some worn leather and wood, but again more of a bitter taste left on the palate.

The burn is sharp with a compact, medium gray ash forming that holds strong. I continue having to puff on the cigar quite a bit due to the over resistance in the draw, which I think has a lot to do with the smoke being bitter. A third in and the flavor starts to pick up a little with a sweet, dark cocoa coming through along with the worn leather and wood. There’s not much by way of a finish left on the palate, even right after exhaling.

Halfway in and everything is pretty much consistent as before. I’m getting a hefty amount of spice in the medium strength smoke, but just not much as far as flavor or finish. I smoked it on down to about the band and finally put it down. I’d be interested to see other reviews on this cigar, maybe revisit it myself again and see if I can get one with a better draw to see if that makes a difference.

DSC02079.jpg

10-18-09CubaoNo1001.jpg

10-18-09CubaoNo1002.jpg

10-18-09CubaoNo1003.jpg

I really like the torpedo in this cigar. You get much more of that dark cocoa taste, Greg, complemented by a toasty/bready flavor as well. Could have been a bad representation of the line, or perhaps the Churchill yields different flavors. Might give the torp a try - and I also hear the lancero is nice.

Great review and pictures. I keep seeing reviews on this stick pop up. What's the price point on this one?