• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Mystery Stick (Partagas 898v – early 90’s)

Kingantz

Growing too fast.
Cloudy out this morning with a decent breeze and fairly strong gusts now and again. The humidity is very high, thick in the air, looks as though it rained a good bit during the night. I’m putting fire to a mystery stick received in a PIF on another board. The wrapper is a dull Colorado shade with a slight oiliness and minimal veins. It has very little give when squeezed with no real soft or hard spots to be found, and after punching the cap I find the draw has a little more resistance than I like, however air does flow through with a mature, somewhat musty, tobacco taste.

It torch the foot slowly, blowing the forming embers to get a nice, even burn and am enjoying the smoke wafting up to my nostrils. Smells wonderful! I take a couple puffs to get the smoke flowing through and then a long, slow draw. A mild to almost medium white pepper spice hits the back of the tongue and throat, the smoke itself a good medium strength, very smooth over the palate. Flavors are strong in the first few draws and quite rich with tastes of sweetened dark cocoa, cedar wood, and worn leather with notes of citrus.

The burn is sharp with a medium to dark gray ash forming in layers and falls off easily on its own a half inch in. Although there is a good bit of resistance in the draw, it’s working quite well allowing just the right amount of medium strength smoke to flow through. A third of the way in the flavors really begin to balance out in the cool, very smooth smoke that has a distinct woodsy, sweet citrus taste with hints of vanilla and cocoa. The finish is incredibly delicious, lasting on the palate after exhaling slowly through both the mouth and nose.

Halfway in and the cigar is performing beautifully with a perfect amount of spice hitting the back of the tongue and throat with delicious, smooth smoke continuing to flow well through the what turns out to be perfect draw. Flavors are rich and as previously described: Sweet citrus, cedar wood, vanilla with an undertone of dark cocoa. The finish is long on the palate and can’t help but smack my lips, enjoying the rich flavors left lingering.

I smoked this cigar on through the final third and to the nub, enjoying it immensely. What an incredible smoke with sharp burn, perfect draw, delicious, rich flavors, and lasting finish. I was told that this could be a Partagas 898v from the late 90’s, and have no doubt that it was just that. Distinct Partagas flavors to my palate. Many thanks to the sender for allowing me to sample such a fine cigar!

DSC02339.jpg

10-24-09Partagas898v001.jpg

10-24-09Partagas898v002.jpg

10-24-09Partagas898v003.jpg

DSC02368.jpg

DSC02323.jpg