• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Montecristo No. 2 - 2000

Kingantz

Growing too fast.
There’s nothing like getting up at dawn and watching the sun come up, especially on a crisp, cool morning. Several Cardinals are hopping around in the pine straw making their high pitched peeps, beautiful red birds. Mandy is up as well, however only stays out long enough to do her business, and then it’s back in the door to go curl up in her pillow bed. It’s peaceful out, so quiet I can hear a car riding down one of the old stone paved roads probably a mile or so away. Deep breath in through the nose, slow exhale through the mouth…and relax.

I’ve been smoking a good many non-Cuban cigars lately, admittedly most are Tatuaje/Pepin and Padilla. But, I’m definitely in the mood for something from the dark side, so am putting fire to a Monte No. 2 from 2000 this morning (I must say thanks to the person that bombed me with this - has an old “El Dentes” band). This torpedo is rolled well with a prominent patchwork looking vein running the length in the light tan wrapper. There’s still noticeable oil, telling me this cigar has been kept well, and has a nice crunch when squeezing along the length checking for hard/soft spots of which I find none. I get a faint tobacco smell when sniffing the foot, and with the tapered head clipped I find the draw perfect with again, a faint taste of straightforward tobacco.

Once lit and a good burn going, I take a few quick puffs and smoke begins to come through in huge amounts. I can already taste and smell the Montecristo profile coming through. There’s a mild, cinnamon spice on the back of the tongue and throat with the smoke mild to almost medium in strength. It’s somewhat light on the palate, however very rich in flavor with tastes of cocoa, toasted nuts, vanilla, and a ripe, red fruit. The finish is absolutely incredible, lasting well after exhaling slowly through the mouth.

It is quite cool out, and I find my fingers are a bit stiff as I try to type. I glance over at the temp/hygrometer, and it’s now 49F. Ten degrees warmer than it was when I first came out and 74% humidity, which really makes it feel even cooler than it is. The Monte is burning sharp and quite slow with a mottled dark and light gray ash forming that has slight tooth. It’s a bit flaky, however holds well until tapped off at about an inch in, leaving a flat coal. Mild spice continues to come through in the spot on draw with the strength and flavors consistent, perfect and rich on the palate. The finish is oh so smooth and long on the palate making me smack my lips after exhaling.

This was one of the best Montes I’ve had to date, which is saying a lot, actually sad to see it end. An absolutely enjoyable smoke down to the very nub with sharp burn, perfect draw, rich and delicious flavors that were rather complex, and an incredibly lasting finish left on the palate. I’ve said it before that there’s not much better than a well aged Montecristo that’s smoking good. Immensely enjoyed this cigar!

11-08-09Monte22000-001.jpg

11-08-09Monte22000-002.jpg

11-08-09Monte22000-003.jpg

DSC02893.jpg

Probably my favorite. I was lucky enough to pick up two boxes. I shared about half of the first box with some friends and every now and then dip into that box to see how things are going. The second box is just hanging out in the humi.

Montecristo No. 2 is truly one of the great cigars. Great review, as usual.

Have you ever thought about writing a book? That first paragraph was pretty calming. Thanks for sharing another great review. :love: :thumbs:

I have one from 2006. I keep eyeing it, but really need to see if I can get to 5 years on it.

I agree, write a book (or at least a blog) so more people can benefit from your poetic words.

If you can believe it, I've actually never had this Monte. I'll have to add it to my list for tonight.