• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Viaje Fifty/Fifty No. 1

Kingantz

Growing too fast.
It’s hard to believe Thanksgiving is already here with Christmas right around the corner. Seems like this year has gone by really fast…too fast. Speaking of fast, I know I’ll have to do it after the holidays are over because I’m going to be eating up some good food! :D

It’s cool out this morning, in the mid to upper forties with a faint wind barely moving the leaves, which most have now fallen to the ground. There’s something about early morning, seems so peaceful, and when the sun light first starts peeking through, the colors are just amazing.

I’m putting fire to a Viaje Fifty/Fifty No. 1 this morning, which I’ve got to give a huge shout out to Jim (Cigar Buff) for sending. He actually sent an excellent sampler of Viaje cigars to review, so many thanks! The information listed on the Viaje site for these cigars states “Fifty/Fifty is a special project that took a great deal of time to perfect. The idea behind Fifty/Fifty is to offer the ability to enjoy two different flavor profiles while smoking the same cigar.” It goes on to say, “…two distinct blends were formulated to make up the cigar…starts out as a rich medium bodied cigar before transitioning into a bold, full-bodied smoke.”

The cigar is very well constructed with a smooth and oily, dark brown Nicaraguan wrapper with one prominent vein running the length, multiple smaller veins throughout, and a small pigtail on top of the cap. It has a good weight in the hand, firm when squeezed with good bunching in the foot that has a sweet smell of tobacco. After punching the cap, I find a perfect resistance in the draw with a rich tobacco flavor, sweet and fresh.

I put fire to the foot and it lights easily, burning well in no time with the initial aroma in the air wonderful. After a few puffs, I take a slow draw and get a strong, black pepper spice on the back of the throat and what seems to my palate a medium to almost full strength in the smoke. There’s definitely an undeniable richness in the smoke that is smooth over the palate. Flavors are quite interesting with what seems like cocoa, leather, a hint of cinnamon and a raw, meaty nut.

Through the first third, the cigar is performing well with a sharp burn producing a medium to light gray ash that is somewhat flaky and holds well until tapped off. I’m really taking it slow, very much enjoying the richness of the smoke that is flowing effortlessly through the perfect draw. The black pepper spice continues to hit the back of the throat, however mellows a bit after a good inch or so in where it becomes a perfect mild, white pepper. The finish is delicious and lasting on the palate.

Halfway in and into the final third, the draw opens up and produces a very smooth, full bodied smoke that continues to be incredibly rich with a lasting, deliciously clean finish. Flavors are more of a straightforward tobacco with a hint of citrus and a very nice twang. Spice is still there, only slightly peppery on the back of the tongue and throat.

I very much enjoyed this cigar with sharp burn, perfect draw, and rich flavors with delicious lasting finish. I’d say there was a transition in the first half to the second half, however subtle. There was a complexity in the medium smoke in the beginning that seemed to turn to more of a straightforward, full strength smoke towards the end. An interesting, excellent cigar. Thanks again to Jim for sending!

11-21-09ViajeFiftyFifty001.jpg

11-21-09ViajeFiftyFifty002.jpg

11-21-09ViajeFiftyFifty003.jpg

Ive really been enjoying this brand. I have to drive a way's to get them but they always come through. I'll have to find the 50-50, they sound interesting. Great review as always.

Ive really been enjoying this brand. I have to drive a way's to get them but they always come through. I'll have to find the 50-50, they sound interesting. Great review as always.

Mark at Tower Cigar has them both in boxes and 5 packs. He is also great to deal with. :thumbs:

Viaje 50/50