• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Arturo Fuente Hemingway Classic Sun grown

Kingantz

Growing too fast.
Happy New Year!! The wife, baby girl, and I stayed up to watch the ball drop last night. Popped the cork on a bottle of Asti Spumante, which was very good by the way, and brought in the New Year with a nice toast and lots of kisses all around. Of course, went to bed shortly after and up early this morning. Well, at least I am. The wife had a little too much of the champagne I think, so she’ll probably sleep in a little.

It’s a cloudy, gray morning with the temperature right at 45F, very damp out from having rained last night. I pick out a Hemi Classic Sun Grown received from Greg (GregSVT), of which I’ve been looking forward to trying. I do believe there’s a good bit of age on this stick as the cello is quite yellow, very nice. The sun grown wrapper is a medium to dark brown, coarse, not much by way of oil, and one prominent vein running the length. It’s very firm when squeezed, no soft spots found, and has a good weight in the hand. I punch the cap and of course find the draw tight due to the small, tapered foot.

I torch the small tapered foot and have to take several quick puffs as the draw is very tight, however once it reaches the larger ring, it opens up perfectly. I take a long draw and perfect white pepper spice hits the back of the throat just right. The smoke is a medium strength and feels rather oily on the palate, leaving a very nice finish on the palate that is lasting. Flavors are really good with tastes of worn leather, wood, and I believe a touch of cinnamon. There’s a nice twang in the finish that I really enjoy in a cigar, delicious!

There’s a medium gray ash forming with a sharp burn, the medium bodied smoke flowing well through the perfect draw. The spice has subsided as I get further in, becoming rather mild, yet the body seems full, thick and oily on the palate. Flavors are as previously described with a nice toasted nuttiness finding its way in the mix. A delicious, lasting finish is left on the palate as I exhale slowly through the mouth and nose.

Halfway in and I find the draw is beginning to tighten slightly, then get a really nasty taste on the tip of my tongue, have a look to find tar has built up. Blech! I grab the Palio and clip off a bit of the head, which resolves the tar matter and opens the draw back up perfectly. The burn gets pretty bad at this point as well, having a large run that requires touching-up. Medium strength smoke continues to flow well with flavors somewhat rich and delicious on the palate leaving a lasting finish.

The cigar performs perfectly through the final third with sharp burn, perfect draw, an abundance of delicious, medium strength smoke and lasting finish. This is possibly the best Hemi Classic I’ve ever smoked, enjoying it more than the natural, which is too mild for my palate, and the maduro, which I find is sweeter. Many thanks Greg for an excellent smoke on New Years Day morning!

01-01-2010AFClassicSG001.jpg

01-01-2010AFClassicSG002.jpg

01-01-2010AFClassicSG003.jpg

Nice review as always. The Hemis are the only cigars that I have ever experienced tar buildup.
I have a Classic SG from 05 that I can't wait to smoke once this sinus crap is gone.

Nice review as always. The Hemis are the only cigars that I have ever experienced tar buildup.
I have a Classic SG from 05 that I can't wait to smoke once this sinus crap is gone.

I believe this was only released in 2003 and the number of sticks are fewer than 5000.

Best,

Joe

edited to add: I did get 2 from TS back in 2008 but I did not think it was a re-release.

I believe this was only released in 2003 and the number of sticks are fewer than 5000.

Best,

Joe

edited to add: I did get 2 from TS back in 2008 but I did not think it was a re-release.

Well, maybe it is from '03 then, When it was gifted to me the cello had a sticker on it that said '05....Either way I can't wait to smoke the thing!

Glad you liked it, Greg! Awesome review and pics. I loved the one I smoked and have one more I plan to keep for a while. This and the Maduro are my favorites of the Hemingways.

They are from 2003 and I believe that's the only time Fuente released them. Pretty hard to come by and worth it if you can track some down...IMO.