• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Johnny-O! Torpedo

Kingantz

Growing too fast.
It’s definitely a beautiful day, however the wind is just crazy with some serious wind gusts that sounds like a freight train rolling through. Luckily the back porch is enclosed at the moment and a very nice 62F, the sun coming through feels really good. I picked out a Johnny-O! Torpedo to bring out with me, one that’s been resting for one year and four months. The golden brown wrapper is full of oils that glisten in the sunlight, the cigar has excellent construction with small veins running throughout. It has a solid weight in the hand, slight give when squeezed, and with the tapered head clipped I find the draw with a little more resistance than I like. I go ahead and clip a little more off, still find it a bit on the tight side, and hope that once lit and the tobacco warmed the draw will open more.

The foot lights easily and an abundance of smoke pours from the fire with a sweet, rich aroma wafting up to my nose. I take a few puffs and even though the draw is a little on the tight side, more than enough smoke flows through. My first draw has a mild to almost medium white pepper spice, the smoke itself a medium strength. The body is thick, almost chewy, with an oiliness left on the palate that is really good. Flavors are that of raw honey, toasted nuts, and light oak wood with a semi-lasting finish that is sweet and creamy.

A third in and the burn is sharp with a medium gray ash forming in layers that holds strong until tapped off. Good medium strength smoke is flowing well enough through the slightly over-resistant draw, continuing to have an oily feel over the tongue. There’s still spiciness on the back of the tongue with flavors as previously described, a lasting finish left after slowly exhaling.

After getting through the halfway mark and heading into the final third, the strength begins to build to almost full, the spice kicking up a notch as well. The smoke seems to take on a richer quality that leaves a delicious, smooth and creamy finish on the palate. I can’t say enough about John’s smokes, this one being no exception with a perfect burn, delicious flavors, and lasting finish. Excellent cigar!

02-10-10JOTorp003.jpg

02-10-10JOTorp001.jpg

02-10-10JOTorp002.jpg

Great review Greg. I have yet to have one of these torpedoes that didn't satisfy. One of my favorites, just need to be able to keep my hands off them so they can age.

Ken

That's a damn fine looking cigar Greg. I was gifted a Johnny-O Shagfoot a while back and I think it's getting close to burning time for it. Thanks for the review.

Johnny-O! Torpedo..... mmm tasty!! Nice review as always Greg.

- Mike

That's a damn fine looking cigar Greg. I was gifted a Johnny-O Shagfoot a while back and I think it's getting close to burning time for it. Thanks for the review.

That is exactly what I was thinking. Beautiful cigar.

Another great review. It's been a while since I'm smoked one of these, it may be time to check back with them and see how they are developing!

Thanks a lot for the review and the pics!
I was just looking for some.
The cigar looks outstanding.
Need to get me some of those.

Great review as always. I love me some Johnny-o's...mmmm mmmm mmmm. I just wish I had the self control to age some of mine...

Seems like a lot of people like these ones and your review of it was fantastic Greg! I have never tried one of these so I may have to keep on the lookout for them.

I had one of the fresh Beli's Thursday paired with some Glenmorangie 10 yr single and the notes of honey and almond simply exploded from the cigar and scotch. Outstanding review Greg!

I have never had a Johnny-O, though the torps and shagfoots are on my must-try list.

Can anyone enlighten me on the leaf used in these?

Excellent review Greg...as always, you nailed it.

Question: What humidity did you store this cigar at prior to smoking it? I've found that a day+ of dry boxing does a Johnny-O! some good....on taste and draw.

Let us know. Thanks

Question: What humidity did you store this cigar at prior to smoking it? I've found that a day+ of dry boxing does a Johnny-O! some good....on taste and draw.

Let us know. Thanks

Thanks Gary! The wineador I keep the Johnny-O!'s in is around 70%, which is a little high, but it's how I like it. It would've been a good idea to have dry boxed this torp a day or two prior to smoking, which would've probably helped on the over resistant draw. For me though, I have no idea what I'm gonna smoke until I start diggin'. :D I do recommend dry boxing JO! smokes since they tend to be on the damp side, if possible.

Let us know. Thanks

Thanks Gary! The wineador I keep the Johnny-O!'s in is around 70%, which is a little high, but it's how I like it. It would've been a good idea to have dry boxed this torp a day or two prior to smoking, which would've probably helped on the over resistant draw. For me though, I have no idea what I'm gonna smoke until I start diggin'. :D I do recommend dry boxing JO! smokes since they tend to be on the damp side, if possible.

Nice review Greg! I store my Johnny-Os at a higher RH as well, for whatever reason I think they meld better at 70+%. And I agree Gary dry boxing for a day or two helps with the draw and burn.

Looks like a great cigar and will have to keep an eye out for some next time he post thathe has them.

I forgot I had some of his other sizes resting till now. I've not purchased his torpedos yet so I think I know my next purchase.

Great review Greg!