• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Arturo Fuente Opus X Robusto

Kingantz

Growing too fast.
It’s peaceful out this afternoon with only the sound of a soft breeze blowing and in the distance, a woodpecker tapping on a tree. An absolutely gorgeous day it is, the temperature gauge reading seventy-five degrees on the back porch and the sun beaming through very warm. Mandy, my Jack Russell has found a comfortable spot at the bottom of the steps, all four feet sticking straight out with her fat little belly baking in the sun. I’ve poured myself a dram of MaCallan 12 year with just a splash of water, and am getting ready to put fire to an Opus robusto.

I step out into the yard and can see noticeable oils glistening in the reddish brown wrapper of the Opus; one prominent vein runs the length to the triple cap on top. I find a couple of soft spots close to the band, however other than that the cigar is quite firm, has a good weight in the hand and good bunching in the foot. Using the largest ring on my knife, I punch a perfect hole in the cap and test the draw to find a perfect resistance with taste of straightforward tobacco.

With the foot torched and burning even, I take a couple quick puffs and find not much smoke is coming through. The burn begins to run to one side, and I keep puffing with not much results. I’m thinking the fire is tunneling down in there, so puff a couple times, wait a few seconds, and then purge. This is pretty much how it went through the first three-quarter inch, however the burn finally started going and at about an inch, smoke began to flow well. Strong black pepper spice is what I received in my first full draw with the smoke quite powerful, full strength to my palate. Flavors were decent albeit a bit acrid at first; however after a few more draws began to mellow out a bit.

It was probably right around the halfway mark before the cigar really started smoking well with the powerful spice mellowing to a perfect amount; however the strength remained quite full. Flavors were that of a typical Opus profile; cedar wood, roasted nut, leather, and a hint of citrus zest. The finish was good upon initial exhale, however short on the palate.

I’m finding myself thoroughly relaxed and very much enjoying the warmth of the sun soaking into my jeans and shirt, think maybe the scotch is working its magic as well. I continue on with the Opus, taking my time and trying not to get too much of the powerful, full strength smoke, which is now flowing quite well through the perfect draw. The burn is sharp with a light to medium gray ash forming that holds strong and flavors are as previously described with the same good finish, however short.

Through the final third, the draw began to tighten up and I found squeezing the cigar with my teeth helped the smoke flow. It continued to be full strength with a good amount of spice on the back of the throat and flavors more of a straightforward tobacco taste and the finish quite short on the palate. I have to say this wasn’t the best Opus I’ve had, however still not a bad smoke for a relaxing Saturday afternoon.

03-06-10OpusRobusto003.jpg

03-06-10OpusRobusto001.jpg

03-06-10OpusRobusto002.jpg

Looks great in pictures. I have had the same issues with the newer releases. None of them really taste that great.

Only you could complicate such a fine cigar Greg! :p

I still like John's view, err...I mean, REVIEWS better!