• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

La Escepcion RE Exclusivo Italia

Kingantz

Growing too fast.
La Escepcion RE Exclusivo Italia
6 ½ x 38

I crawled out of bed early this morning, before any light could be seen coming in from the windows.  Casey as usual was sleeping soundly as I closed the bedroom door and headed to the kitchen to make coffee.  Ah but before leaving the room, I did remember to grab my little humi and carry it with me.  I already knew it was to be a gorgeous day today, so planned to smoke the La Escepcion Italy release Paul was so kind to send.  With coffee brewed I headed out with camera, laptop, and of course the puppies following along. 

There’s a slight bit of moisture in the quite cool morning air, everything not under the gazebo coated with dew.  The sky is already starting to lighten, and birds are starting to make their morning calls, later I feel as if I’m in a jungle from all the different birds singing.  By the time I start taking my initial pictures of the stogie, the sky right at and above the tree line is turning a beautiful orange. 

I’ve really been looking forward to smoking this cigar as pretty much every comment and review I’ve read had nothing but good things to say.  I enjoy smoking this vitola as well; panatela is just a great size in a cigar, not too much filler or binder, just the right amount I think for great flavor.  As I squeeze the cigar from head to foot, I find it firm enough with maybe a couple of slight soft spots.  The wrapper is a gorgeous medium Colorado shade, and has those patchwork veins running throughout (I call them that as it looks like the vein is sewn with needle and thread).  The weight feels good in the hand, bunching in the foot looks good, and it has an almost perfect triple cap on top.  As I run the cigar under my nose, there’s a slight barnyard smell along with a bit of a sour smell too, but not a bad sour.  I take a sniff or two at the foot and the tobacco smells so good, like opening a fresh box of raisins. 

I punch the cap and find the draw is a bit on the tight side.  I’m hoping once lit, the tobacco will loosen from the warmth and open it up.  While there’s not a lot of air flowing through, I am still getting that musty tobacco taste in the cold draw.  I toast the foot, and my initial impression of the smoke that came to my nose is of a mild black licorice.  I take a couple puffs and immediately the tightness in the draw is gone as it opens up nicely allowing a perfect amount of smoke to flow through.  In my first good draw, I definitely am getting black licorice along with coffee and a really good woody flavor.  There also seems to be a citrus note as well.  I like the full strength of the smoke; however the body seems to be on the medium to almost mild side. Interesting. 

Right at the beginning, maybe a quarter of an inch in, the cigar goes out on me, so have to relight.  As I let some of the smoke escape through my nose, there’s a good bit of pepper that burns slightly, but not too badly.  The draw continues to be spot on, allowing a perfect amount of smoke to flow through.  As the cigar burns down, the medium gray ash is quite flaky, and falls on its own about an inch and a half in.  I’d say the tobacco in this cigar is just right as the burning foot is perfectly flat after the ash falls; wrapper, binder, and filler all burning exact. 

As the burn starts reaching the middle, it seems the flavors begin to take a different turn as I’m not getting black licorice so much, but more of fresh baked bread, sweet and delicious.  I’m also still getting wood, a hint of citrus, and there’s a richness that comes forth leaving a really nice lasting finish on the palate. 

Jessica comes out with her tablet, and immediately the pups are going crazy jumping all around her.  My poor baby girl has a pretty bad chest cold, and her voice is a bit rasp as she talks.  I had to make her go back in as it’s still quite cool out with a slight breeze now going.  She wasn’t happy about having to go back in as she’s like her daddy and loves being outside, but the pups followed her in so it wasn’t so bad. 

I continue on with the cigar, which is pairing perfectly with my coffee, rich and delicious both are.  The black ring around the foot as the cigar burns is fairly thick, telling me the wrapper is rather thick and where most of the rich flavor is being produced.  Jessica comes out again with the pups, and it’s warmed up a bit more so I let her stay out this time.  We walk around a bit and Jess is taking video on her tablet, the pups?  Well they’re having themselves a grand old time. 

Heading into the final third, the draw really opens up, and the ash is falling off easily about every quarter to half inch.  The strength has built up to very full towards the end with tastes continuing to be that of baked bread with hints of coffee, citrus, and now charred wood is in the mix.  The finish has gotten somewhat shorter and seems clean on the palate. 

This cigar has lasted a good bit longer than I thought it would as I’ve been smoking now for close to a couple hours.  The coffee is no longer warm, and Jess is asking me what we’re eating for breakfast, so it’s time to sign off for now.  I thoroughly enjoyed this excellent cigar with perfect draw, burn, and rich delicious mix of flavors.  It’s been some time that I’ve had a cigar that changed the way this one did towards the middle, quite interesting indeed.  Paul, thanks so much for the opportunity to smoke such a fine cigar.  I hope everyone has a fantastic weekend!

Gonna have some fun in the sun today!

I knew this review would be coming when I noticed the pics in the Gallery. Couldn't wait, and it didn't disappoint. I feel as if I've watched Jess grow up over the years and I've never met her.  

jfields said:
I knew this review would be coming when I noticed the pics in the Gallery. Couldn't wait, and it didn't disappoint. I feel as if I've watched Jess grow up over the years and I've never met her.  

She's grown so fast, seems like just yesterday she was my itty bitty baby. 

Nice review! This made me want to light one of these up today. I haven't gotten the baked bread you speak of but everything else is spot on with what I have experienced. Thanks!

Nicely done, Greg. I've never smoked one of these. I do tend to love the smaller ring cubans or any cigar, for that matter.
For my palate, nothing beats a small rg Cuban.

Jess has really grown. I'm an older single dad of a 10 year old. While I appreciate that he can do more for himself
as he gets older, and I do love him more everyday, I do miss the toddler that ran around the house. They grow too fast.

Great review Greg! Your making me want to go out on the deck and light one up! I'm glad you enjoyed it brother have a good weekend.

Paul