• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Casa Cuba Doble Tres

Kingantz

Growing too fast.
Casa Cuba Doble Tres
5 ½ x 44

It’s only been a couple days since I received this cigar (thanks Gary!), and should probably let it sit for another day or two, but I’m just too curious to let it sit longer.  After digging around online trying to gather information on this stick, I found this is a new release from Fuente.  The first since 1995, this is a blend from none other than Fuente Sr. himself who wanted to try and re-create something from his Cuban rolling days.  I also read where there is only one roller to create these “limited release” cigars.  Interesting stuff!

There are four sizes released of this marca; Doble Cuatro, Cinco, Tres, and Seis.  I received the Dobles Tres size (corona), which is the size I would actually prefer out of the four.  It has an Ecuadorian wrapper, shiny and smooth except for the one prominent vein running the length.  Squeezing the cigar along the length, the Dominican binder and filler feels firm, maybe a slight give right below the head.  I run the cigar under my nose and get a strong barnyard smell and the same in the foot.  Just for kicks, I hand it to my wife and ask her to do the same, to describe the best way she can the smell.  She runs it under her nose several times and then says it smells kind of like mocha, but a funky mocha.  Thought she did pretty darn well with that.  :D

After punching the cap, cold draw is decent with good air flow and taste of old raisin.  I toast the foot, blow on the embers to get a uniform burn, and then take a few puffs to get the smoke flowing.  I sit the cigar down to let it rest for a bit, let the fire relax if you will.  After about thirty seconds, I pick it up and take a couple quick puffs, then a long draw.  Exhaling slowly, both the body and strength are very light on the palate with little to no spice in the nose.  There’s not much by way of flavor, a slight woodiness is about all I’m getting; however the finish is decent, clean and semi-lasting. 

I’m sitting next to the fireplace as I smoke; the wife bundled up on the couch watching Dante’s Peak.  The part comes on where they’re in the boat trying to make it on the other side of the lake that’s now become acid, and I say to her that looks like an oh shit moment.  As soon as I say that, Pierce Brosnan pulls up the motor, sees the blades are gone, and says, “Oh shit.”  I thought it was pretty funny; she didn’t laugh.  Looking out the window to my right, the day is just plain dreary with clouds and misty, cold rain.  Eh, a good day to sit in and watch movies I reckon. 

As the fire gets further in, the ash forming is a nice uniform whitish gray with the burn sharp.  I find the strength does pick up some, but only slightly with the body continuing to be on the mild side.  Smoke is flowing well through the open draw, creamy on the palate and very light mouth feel.  Flavors are of wood, roasted nuts, possibly nutmeg mixed in with a tiny bit of citrus, which actually isn’t all that bad; pairing very well with my coffee.  The finish continues to be decent, semi-lasting on the palate. 

There seems to have been a small crack in the wrapper mid way that has opened up, and as I puff on the stogie, I can hear the air coming in through it.  I move the band right at the end of the crack to hopefully keep it from opening up further, and continue smoking to get the fire on down.  As the gap closes on the crack in the wrapper, smoke really starts flowing in more abundance, and I have to say the strength really kicks up a notch to a good medium, which is much more to my liking.  The body continues to be rather mild, and still not much spice in the nose.  Flavors are consistent as before with the finish remaining the same as well, delicious with my coffee I must say. 

Dante’s Peak has gone off, and the wife has put on the original Die Hard movie.  I watch her for a bit and chuckle from her intense facial expressions half hidden by the blanket she’s snuggled under.  The pups had been playing; however have now retired into their little house, both passed out one on top the other.  Rain continues outside, and I can hear the wind blowing through the chimney; what a sucky day. 

I’m at the end of this smoke, which has actually taken some time to finish up, burning rather slowly.  As previously mentioned, the strength picked up around the halfway mark, continuing to be a good medium, and maybe a small notch up at the end.  The body remains mild with the finish smooth, creamy and semi-lasting on the palate.  Flavors have been consistent, predominantly wood with just hints of roasted nuts, the same mild nutmeg, and a smidgen of citrus. 

This cigar started off very mild in all aspects, but turned out to be a very nice smoke to my palate with perfect draw, burn, and good flavor that went especially well with my coffee this morning.  Many thanks Gary for the opportunity to sample this cigar!

Great review.  That particular size is killer.  It's become one of my favorite smokes

Nice. <br />If I recall...these were originally made for a vendor friend of the Fuentes...outta Fla. <br /><br />It was basically the guys personal smoke / shop smoke for some time. <br /><br />They then decided to release it. <br /><br />I could be mixing cigars up, but in pretty certain that's the case. <br /><br />I smoked the one I had too. :)

Enjoyed the review.  I had a few each of two of the vitolas (can't remember which ones).  I thought they were enjoyable and a slight departure from the normal Fuente profile, but for the price I wouldn't be running out for a box.

Hahaha Greg, sometimes the looks you capture from your wife look very similar to the ones my wife gives me when I smoke cigars.  Good thing we're keepers!  :sign:

Sounds like a great cigar to grab a five-er of down at the B&M, thanks for the review!

Great review and pics. Certainly got me interested in this new Fuente offering.

Good review, this reads like Hemingway. It gives good context to what was going on while you were enjoying this cigar.