• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Too many options!

insignia100

To say I was overwhelmed by the my local tobacconist's selection would be an understatement. I can navigate the world of pipe tobaccos fairly well at this point, but oh, the options when it comes to cigars are both frightening and exciting simultaneously. I'm hoping to get my bearings before setting forth into the cigar world. Thus, I'd like to pose a question: What sub-$5 sticks would you recommend to a new smoker? Specifically, I'm looking to gather good representatives of the most common styles of cigars commonly available. So, perhaps I should rephrase the question: What would you suggest as an all-star selection of sub-$5 sticks for a new smoker?

Why $5? Well, simply put, I don't want to develop too expensive a taste! While I have no intention of becoming an every day cigar smoker (most likely sticking to 1-2 a week tops), I want to be able to appreciate affordable sticks and save the expensive ones for special occasions.

So -- lay it on me!

Well, $5 at MSRP isn't going to get you too many really amazing cigars, but plenty in the "good enough" category. There are plenty of deals across the interwebs that crop up now and again that will allow you to buy amazing cigars if you're willing to be patient and strategic and buy at the box rate. I recently bought a box of Oliva Serie V Melanio Maduro robustos for $50/10 ct box from Holts.com, and I've gotten some Drew Estate Hererra Estelli Miami sticks at blowout for under $40 / 10 ct box on JRcigars.com before. Everyday pricing of $5 ea is different from great deals available for much more expensive sticks, if you apply a bit of timing and patience.

Well, $5 at MSRP isn't going to get you too many really amazing cigars, but plenty in the "good enough" category. There are plenty of deals across the interwebs that crop up now and again that will allow you to buy amazing cigars if you're willing to be patient and strategic and buy at the box rate. I recently bought a box of Oliva Serie V Melanio Maduro robustos for $50/10 ct box from Holts.com, and I've gotten some Drew Estate Hererra Estelli Miami sticks at blowout for under $40 / 10 ct box on JRcigars.com before. Everyday pricing of $5 ea is different from great deals available for much more expensive sticks, if you apply a bit of timing and patience.

"Good enough" is what I'm looking for right now. I don't want to get stuck only liking high dollar sticks; I don't want to get a few $10+ sticks just for an afternoon of fishing or times when I may get pulled away and only be able to smoke half of a cigar. I'll keep an eye out on Holts and JRcigars to see if I can pick up a deal.

I would also recommend the newbie sampler here on cigarpass. I’ve frequented it twice and both times they gave me many different options to sample and was much more than I bargained for. An awesome place to start.
this is really your best bet to try some stogies. for 50.00 you get some great ones.

In my opinion if you think you'll only smoke one or two per week, you might concider bumping your dollar amount to 10.00. In that range you can find some much better smokes.

edit to add: if you only will smoke occasionally why not smoke better stuff?

My current favorite sub-five buck smoke available at Bricks and Mortar shops is the Rocky Patel Sun Grown. I can buy a fiver for $23.00 at my local.

Last edited:
If you are only smoking one or two a week, they are all special. ;)

Lots of great recommendations here. My two pennies is to hit up CigarPage and look at their fiver and tenski deals when they (often) have them. For your smoking frequency, pretty much 95% of what's offered there will be in an acceptable price range. Don't get stuck on a specific price tag at that limited frequency.

Plenty of good sub $5 sticks out there but you just need to find ones you like! Off the top of my head:

Ramon Bueso Vintage Olancho, Genesis Habano both are great and can be had on cigarbid for $2-3 a cigar.

The Oliva Master Blends 3 can be had for $4 or less at holts

I’m a big fan of the Nicaraguan Overruns on Cigarpage, they’re a great deal!

Ezra Zion also sells there boutique seconds for about $5 per

Oliva Nub maduro

Another great bundle is the New Cuba which is rolled at the Casa Fernandez factory using aganorsa leaf!

Without a doubt, the best kept secret in the cigar business.

Doc

Forgot about those but they are very good and most of the time available, more so than the larger 858, which is also very good.