• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

In need of advice......

I read an article about this yesterday and my first thought was to wonder if this applied to you. I can’t and won’t say if you should take it, but an offer like this should always be considered even if you were happy with the job. The question to be asked is will a round of layoffs follow. Sounds like a long discussion to be had with the wife. Best of luck.

One thing you can do is talk to a tax or financial adviser on how to prepare for and use the money in different scenarios ( move or extended unemployment). That could take some of the worry off you and your wife.

Every time I’ve been laid off, I’ve found a position that was better in almost every aspect. There’s a study recently that also showed people who changed jobs every 3-4 years increase their salaries significantly compared to people who stay in the same company the entire time. This is because every time you find a new job, you are renegotiating upward where as bonuses and raises are the bare minimum a company thinks they can give you to retain you. Lastly, I’ve had a couple of friends who were laid off because the company was severely strapped for cash. Severance was 3 weeks of salary, regardless of years of service. You’ll be hard pressed to find a better package. And if you can find another one, you’re stacking double salaries.

Don’t forget you can get unemployment while you’re searching (up to 6 months I think). Doesn’t pay that much but it’ll help to pay some bills ($1800/month max in CA).

Good luck Brandon, lemme know if you’d be interested in an engineering job in CA, I have some contacts here and there.

Every time I’ve been laid off, I’ve found a position that was better in almost every aspect. There’s a study recently that also showed people who changed jobs every 3-4 years increase their salaries significantly compared to people who stay in the same company the entire time. This is because every time you find a new job, you are renegotiating upward where as bonuses and raises are the bare minimum a company thinks they can give you to retain you. Lastly, I’ve had a couple of friends who were laid off because the company was severely strapped for cash. Severance was 3 weeks of salary, regardless of years of service. You’ll be hard pressed to find a better package. And if you can find another one, you’re stacking double salaries.

Don’t forget you can get unemployment while you’re searching (up to 6 months I think). Doesn’t pay that much but it’ll help to pay some bills ($1800/month max in CA).

Good luck Brandon, lemme know if you’d be interested in an engineering job in CA, I have some contacts here and there.
I don’t think you can get unemployment with voluntary separation. That, and what a pain in the ass! They want to see how many applications you’ve filled out/turned in per week, and the same for interviews you’ve been to. Don’t meet their idea of actively seeking gainful employment and they don’t pay. Pay is a mere pittance for all the hoops you have to jump through to get it. All that work to get unemployment, and how are you supposed to find the time to seek employment I wondered.....

MEDICAL is the magic word here. I don’t know your, wife’s, kids age, but a sudden medical emergency can hit the back account in a serious way ( my wife was medical insurance mgr. for 20 years ). The horror stories are numerous. In your situation you have the opportunity to get anything that needs fixing... fixed in your covered time period. The rest of the package, in the end will be your decision. Think in multiple planes and your will do well. Wish you the best.

I don’t think you can get unemployment with voluntary separation. That, and what a pain in the ass! They want to see how many applications you’ve filled out/turned in per week, and the same for interviews you’ve been to. Don’t meet their idea of actively seeking gainful employment and they don’t pay. Pay is a mere pittance for all the hoops you have to jump through to get it. All that work to get unemployment, and how are you supposed to find the time to seek employment I wondered.....
Oh yeah...sorry I was thinking of when one company I was at asked for volunteers to be laid off with enhanced severance packages. They were able to collect because although they volunteered, it was still a company initiated termination.
Edit: I just had to fill out some forms online (just listed 1 online application per week, was really easy).

I think the idea is to network and work with head-hunters while you're currently employed. When you find a good fit that wants you and offers the career progression you want, put in your 2-weeks notice. Then you just transition from one company to another, getting a bump in pay along the way.

I think the idea is to network and work with head-hunters while you're currently employed. When you find a good fit that wants you and offers the career progression you want, put in your 2-weeks notice. Then you just transition from one company to another, getting a bump in pay along the way.
Or, use the most excellent cushion to build your own dream instead of someone else’s. That’s one thing Mr. Wasserman taught me. We are so programmed to be comfortable being a slave to the man because we don’t want to take chances. We see it as security and that’s how we get trapped in jobs we hate without the upward mobility we saw before accepting that job.
Nothing like working for yourself. Just have to figure out what you’re good at, or what your passion is and turn it into your business. It’s scary! You could become wildly successful, or fail. But, failure isn’t the end.

Or, use the most excellent cushion to build your own dream instead of someone else’s. That’s one thing Mr. Wasserman taught me. We are so programmed to be comfortable being a slave to the man because we don’t want to take chances. We see it as security and that’s how we get trapped in jobs we hate without the upward mobility we saw before accepting that job.
Nothing like working for yourself. Just have to figure out what you’re good at, or what your passion is and turn it into your business. It’s scary! You could become wildly successful, or fail. But, failure isn’t the end.

This is the truth. I'm at the point where the reward outweighs the risk. I can hustle and make money, to pay the bills, that's never been an issue. I need a new start, a new challenge and now I can determine that outcome.

I'd love to live in SD or somewhere around that area. There are so many things to do, but I'm not sure that will happen, might just have to settle for a vacation to PB and drink a few stouts with you next time.

I talked with a Sr. Level recruiter yesterday and wanted his honesty, which for me is always best. He said that nobody stays with the same company anymore, especially not longer than 10, 15, 20 years. People get experience and look for something new. Unfortunately, we get comfortable, regardless of whether we're challenged or pushed. It's time for a change and you guys have definitely made my decision easier.

Hey Brandon,
I'm pretty familiar with Verizon and the feeling among many people there is that it's been downhill for the last 4 or so years. The package they're offering now is pretty outstanding and I doubt they'll offer it again. If you decide to accept, your last day will likely be the end of December. That gives you three months' head start. A lot can be accomplished in that time.

Well, it's come full circle now. I left Verizon on 3/22 and only stayed retired for 6 weeks. As of today, I'm employed by Cypress Energy Partners and it's a little weird, to be honest. New commute, new office, new building and new faces.....but I'm up for the challenge.

A little strange going through orientation, after being at an employer for 20 years.