• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Public Service Announcement - Dry Boxing Has Changed My Life

TexasTraveler

I'm kind of a big deal
This is a public service announcement for all the guys that are NOT dry boxing and a reminder to some of the more experienced guys that already know. I am not going to get into the details on how to dry box here, there are threads that discuss this technique. I know it takes a little more planning and effort to have sticks in dry box for a week or so, but it is totally worth it. I have just started dry boxing a few weeks ago, and have smoked a few sticks that I am pretty familiar with and I can honestly say the difference is night and day!!! So to all the guys that got me dry boxing, mainly the virtual herf guys, I say Thank You, to all the guys that are not doing this technique, you truly need to take the time to start dry boxing, it just might change your life to... 😉

I was told after a couple weeks in dry box you would then need to put unsmoked sticks back into humidor for at least the amount of time they were dry boxed. I'm sure someone will correct me if I am wrong with that information.

I will have to try this. I've heard people say it really changes the cigar, but never put forth the effort to pick a cigar and then wait a few days (or a week) to smoke it.

I usually grab a couple, throw them in the box, then as I pull one out throw one or two in. That way you have some choices.

A-Aron, you are on the money, here. I've become a dry box practitioner recently, as well, and the difference that a few days to a week or so in the box has made for many of the cigars is NOT subtle.

I will be trying this. Sounds promising!

I have a few questions

is this good for both NC and CC or just CC ?
if my cigar fridge is at 65/65 will this still improve the cigar?
If my ambient room humidity is above 60 how will anything beyond a high end hermetically sealed humidor stay at 60 %

I have a few questions

is this good for both NC and CC or just CC ?
if my cigar fridge is at 65/65 will this still improve the cigar?
If my ambient room humidity is above 60 how will anything beyond a high end hermetically sealed humidor stay at 60 %
I keep my Humi between 65-67 and I can tell a difference on NC’s and CC’s

Ok, I’ll try this. I’ve dismissed it for NCs because it’s extremely rare to have draw issues but I’ve heard more and more folks doing this with NCs. I’ll report back in the next week or two.

You can make a solid argument that in order to keep those precious oils intact, long term aging needs to be done at a minimum of 65%, maybe a point or two higher. I've run a small desktop at 60% for dry boxing, but depending on your ambient RH (you do watch that, yes..??) you may find a few days in your desk drawer works splendidly. Guilty as charged; I've got a couple smokes in my desk right now. I'll cut a smoke for the evening, and give it a test draw. If it's tight, in the desk it goes. I'll check it every couple days, when it's ready you'll know. CC's and NC's both benefit here. One man's opinion.....

wuts the temp and humidity setting for the dry box? can a Tupperware do the job? and how long does the sticks need to be staying before smoke em... sry I just kinda confuse here.....😅

As for NCs, I can attest to this one. Ever since I moved here, I've found that the UC Sun Grown (a cigar I REALLY loved) seemed bland and just... not great. Also, it seemed that the wrapper would explode on pretty much every one I smoked. I stuck a few in the dry box for a week and, HOLY SMOKES, BATMAN, it woke that thing back up and turned it into the cigar I remember. I've had the same experience with all subsequent UCSG I've put in the box, as well. No further wrapper cracking, either. I'll be honest, and say that I think I prefer the FSG straight from the humidor, but keep in mind that all of these are pretty fresh sticks -- nothing with years and years of age on them. Also, as BBS said, some time in the box will open up a sub-optimum draw, in most cases.

wuts the temp and humidity setting for the dry box? can a Tupperware do the job? and how long does the sticks need to be staying before smoke em... sry I just kinda confuse here.....😅
I'm glad I looked where you are from before I jumped on your grammar! Please go introduce yourself in the new member section so we all can get to know you.

The dry box is designed to remove excess moisture from your cigars before you smoke them. Long term storage should be as close to 70/70 as possible (hasn’t changed in over 100 years despite our European friends swearing by 60 to 62 percent... They basically have their whole humidor as a dry box...) Over the years, the cigars lose their oils and the cigars are ruined... (this is a fact, as I can attest to unfortunately purchasing a number of boxes over the years) You need to use beads (or Bovida’s) in your dry box to regulate the humidity and keep it as close to 60 percent as possible (simple with beads) You can keep the cigars in your dry box for up to 2 weeks, but make sure you smoke them or put them back into your humidor beyond this timeframe. All cigars will benefit from this, some substantially more than others...

... I'll cut a smoke for the evening, and give it a test draw. If it's tight, in the desk it goes. I'll check it every couple days, when it's ready you'll know. ...
Every now and then I dry box a couple of cigars, but this never occurred to me (doh!). Thanks for the tip!

Funny, if you search through here hard enough there’s post with me talking about how I prefer to store my cigars at 62% because I felt they smoked better that way. That was back in 2008 of so. Thought I was an educated man back then. Fast forward seven or eight years and I’m complaining about cigars like OR Tatuaje Black and some Cuban cigars tasting flat, or past their prime. Looking back I guess I had the prime RH% for smoking figured out. But, I’m guessing those flat cigars had the oils slowly dry out long term at that low relative humidity.

The dry box is designed to remove excess moisture from your cigars before you smoke them. Long term storage should be as close to 70/70 as possible (hasn’t changed in over 100 years despite our European friends swearing by 60 to 62 percent... They basically have their whole humidor as a dry box...) Over the years, the cigars lose their oils and the cigars are ruined... (this is a fact, as I can attest to unfortunately purchasing a number of boxes over the years) You need to use beads (or Bovida’s) in your dry box to regulate the humidity and keep it as close to 60 percent as possible (simple with beads) You can keep the cigars in your dry box for up to 2 weeks, but make sure you smoke them or put them back into your humidor beyond this timeframe. All cigars will benefit from this, some substantially more than others...
awesome! thanks for the explanation