• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Thanks, Doc

MoeCizlak

Built for comfort
DevilDoc shared a Sicilian recipe with me years ago that I made for Mother’s Day of grilled swordfish and couscous. I thought it would be appropriate to do it again this year in light of Hank’s passing. My son just finished his freshman year in college and his grandmother got him an indoor grill for his first apartment next year so I thought this was a perfect opportunity to pass Doc’s recipe along to a new generation, something I think he would like.

Prep was pretty simple with the boy learning to dice an onion and the valuable art of sautée. I cut the fish and he grilled them to perfectio, the kid is a quick study.

A simple and delicious dinner with a recipe from a friend, cooked with my son for his mom and mine. I don’t know of very many better ways to spend a Sunday evening. Thanks again Hank, your legacy continues. Mangia!

Im not much of a wine guy, but we didnt see a Sicilian wine to pair with this so I randomly pick a pino Grigio from Slovenia and it was one of the better wines I’ve ever had.

Excellent! As someone who is a wine guy, you made an excellent choice with a Pinot Grigio to pair with this meal. The Italian Pinot Grigios are from the northeastern part of the country right next to Slovenia so you made an excellent choice. There are white wines from Sicily however I have yet to find one that I'd recommend (they generally are lousy white wines...).

Nice Clint! Where do I find this recipe?
This is from Doc’s pm:
What you'll need:
1 small red onion, small dice. I use half a large one.
1/4 C chopped dried apricots
1/4 C chopped almonds
1 1/2 C chicken stock
1 C Moroccan couscous
1/2 tsp lemon zest
2 scallions, green part only
1/4 C chopped mint leaves
EVOO

Sauté onion in EVOO over low heat, until translucent. Add apricots, and almonds and sauté a bit more. Add chix stock bring to a boil add lemon zest and couscous, cover and remove from heat. Wait ten min, add mint and scallions, fluff with a fork and serve.

I don’t know if we added too much mint this time or what but it seemed disproportionate. Overall it’s very easy and abundantly flavorful, perfect for a summer meal as it’s very light. The swordfish is just quarter inch steaks cut from a 2lb slab I bought; brushed with EVOO and some salt and pepper grilled about two minutes per side over high heat. I’ve also done it with tuna steaks the same way.

Excellent! As someone who is a wine guy, you made an excellent choice with a Pinot Grigio to pair with this meal. The Italian Pinot Grigios are from the northeastern part of the country right next to Slovenia so you made an excellent choice. There are white wines from Sicily however I have yet to find one that I'd recommend (they generally are lousy white wines...).
Thanks Bill, that’s good to know. I’ve tried several Spanish whites I’ve enjoyed and tried to keep the Sicilian theme going with a wine, sounds like I lucked out.