• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Nostalgia Playlist

Tech N9ne - Caribou Lou
Eminem - Puke
Guns N Rose's - Welcome to the Jungle
Queen - We will rock you
Bon Jovi - Shot through the heart
Sweet - Ballroom Blitz
Muse - Time is running out
Hollywood Undead - City
System of a Down - Chop Suey
Paramore - Crushcrushcrush
Yelawolf - Pop the trunk
Motley Cru - Shout at the Devil
Tech N9ne - Einstein
Dr. Dre & Eminem - Forgot about Dre

My son has decided he wants a record player. Do you guys have any recommendations on old ones to look for that are affordable but good?

My son has decided he wants a record player. Do you guys have any recommendations on old ones to look for that are affordable but good?

A record player, eh. Any idea what he wants it for? Does he intend to start collecting vinyl? Old or new vinyl? To play through what kind of system? Or are you looking for some kind of all-in-one setup, turntable/receiver/?

I could talk all day about turntables. I have at least 6 or 8, some old some new, and many hundreds of records. For anyone who is serious about vinyl, I wouldn't recommend an "old one" unless you want to spend a good bit (and know what you are doing). Most people would say just get one of the new ones from someone like Music Hall or U-Turn Audio (I have both). Get a belt drive unless you want to spend a grand or more for a *good* direct drive. A U-Turn Orbit for $200 is a good turntable. These will not be "automatic", meaning, you don't just put a record on and press "Go". You turn it on, lift the tone arm lever, move the tone arm over the record, lower the lever. And when the record is done, you do the reverse of that. It's part of the "hands on" experience of vinyl, and the finest and most expensive turntables on the planet (tens of thousands and up) are like that. It's a simple device. A lot of it is in the cartridge, and the wiring, and the vibration isolation. But for most people, a simple starter unit is good.

If you really want an old one, look for a rebuilt Dual, but it's a game that's hard to play unless you know the models. A 1229 is good (I love mine), you can get a rebuilt one from the guy at fixmydual.com for a decent price. These are "automatic". But old turntables are cantankerous, prone to all kinds of problems, and it's hard to find people who know how to work on them.

Stay away from Crosleys and other cheapass junk. That is, unless your goal is to ruin every album you can get your hands on.

More info on what you're looking for (and perhaps budget) would help.

Mark

A record player, eh. Any idea what he wants it for? Does he intend to start collecting vinyl? Old or new vinyl? To play through what kind of system? Or are you looking for some kind of all-in-one setup, turntable/receiver/?

I could talk all day about turntables. I have at least 6 or 8, some old some new, and many hundreds of records. For anyone who is serious about vinyl, I wouldn't recommend an "old one" unless you want to spend a good bit (and know what you are doing). Most people would say just get one of the new ones from someone like Music Hall or U-Turn Audio (I have both). Get a belt drive unless you want to spend a grand or more for a *good* direct drive. A U-Turn Orbit for $200 is a good turntable. These will not be "automatic", meaning, you don't just put a record on and press "Go". You turn it on, lift the tone arm lever, move the tone arm over the record, lower the lever. And when the record is done, you do the reverse of that. It's part of the "hands on" experience of vinyl, and the finest and most expensive turntables on the planet (tens of thousands and up) are like that. It's a simple device. A lot of it is in the cartridge, and the wiring, and the vibration isolation. But for most people, a simple starter unit is good.

If you really want an old one, look for a rebuilt Dual, but it's a game that's hard to play unless you know the models. A 1229 is good (I love mine), you can get a rebuilt one from the guy at fixmydual.com for a decent price. These are "automatic". But old turntables are cantankerous, prone to all kinds of problems, and it's hard to find people who know how to work on them.

Stay away from Crosleys and other cheapass junk. That is, unless your goal is to ruin every album you can get your hands on.

More info on what you're looking for (and perhaps budget) would help.

Mark
I know absolutely nothing about them, which I'm guessing is pretty obvious. He apparently was looking around on Amazon one day and saw one and decided he wanted it, "because they're sick". It has built in speakers which I think can be used as bluetooth too.

I honestly don't have any idea what a reasonable budget would even be, but I would not be shocked if he buys it and doesn't find it as sick as he thinks it is, so not a lot hopefully. He'd be buying new records to play on it mostly, but he is a bit of an old soul and I could see him getting into thrift storing for old records at some point.

I just figured I'd ask you guys because I know some of you are really into it.

I know absolutely nothing about them, which I'm guessing is pretty obvious. He apparently was looking around on Amazon one day and saw one and decided he wanted it, "because they're sick". It has built in speakers which I think can be used as bluetooth too.

I honestly don't have any idea what a reasonable budget would even be, but I would not be shocked if he buys it and doesn't find it as sick as he thinks it is, so not a lot hopefully. He'd be buying new records to play on it mostly, but he is a bit of an old soul and I could see him getting into thrift storing for old records at some point.

I just figured I'd ask you guys because I know some of you are really into it.
I’ll drop a link to the one I had. I bought it two or three years ago. It’s all in one with self contained speakers. The sound quality is quite impressive for the price. It’s served me well. I bought the matching cabinet. It’s a great combo.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B074T82DML/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apip_qxRGOwExsONle