• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Cigar burn issues!

Looking at your photos...

I don't see Boveda's. Are they in the boxes? I just put them in my coolerador/wineador.

I do see what looks like active humidification. Is that the Cigar Oasis you mentioned? I tried that with my wineador. It was over-humidifying to the point that the outside of some boxes were wet. Fortunately I caught it in time.
I have 2 humidors. One with 69 bovedas and one with cigar oasis. They both do a pretty good job keeping at 69, but extra humidification might have gotten in when my house was at 75%+ for a long period of time and I was frequently taking cigars out to smoke.

So far, dryboxing for 1+ days has been working great! Better burn, better flavor. Sometimes I get a little of black hard ash around the 2nd and final thirds. But I dont seem to get it anymore at the first third like I used to with all the sticks.

Heres an update. Connecticut cigars have better burn, but the oily maduros wont stop tunneling. 65 humidity for over a month. I smoke slow, I smoke fast, they will keep tunneling no matter what.

thumbnail_20230128_134640.jpg

Last edited:
Heres an update. Connecticut cigars have better burn, but the oily maduros wont stop tunneling. 65 humidity for over a month. I smoke slow, I smoke fast, they will keep tunneling no matter what. View attachment 65058

You're at the point where I'd grab a stick, maduro, take it out of cello, and let it sit out at room temp, out of direct sunlight, for 24hrs. Then smoke.

If it's still happening, repeat process, but leave out for 48hrs. And so on.. until they behave.

You're at the point where I'd grab a stick, maduro, take it out of cello, and let it sit out at room temp, out of direct sunlight, for 24hrs. Then smoke.

If it's still happening, repeat process, but leave out for 48hrs. And so on.. until they behave.
Right. I left the cigar out in the sun for about 30 mins because my house is in the low 60s, and its already burning better. Im guessing when the weather is cold and the cigar is burning, oily wrapper leaves insulate the inner ones, creating the tunnel.

Right. I just did that to one stick for about 30 mins and its already burning better. Im guessing when its cold and the cigar is burning, oily leaves insulate the inner ones, creating the tunnel.

Maduros can be more problematic.. especially the real leathery broadleaf's (CT, PA). Keep your puffs at 1 per minute at the fastest. Try and hold ash to an inch or so before ashing (I wouldn't risk longer than that with an unpredictable stick).

If I have a problem child, I'll gently blow on the area(s) that aren't burning in tandem with rest of the char line. That Tabernacle you had doesn't like a quick smoker. I also practically snort each and every cigar I smoke before lighting. At the foot, my nose is literally touching the long leaf while taking deep sniffs.

Depending on the filler, you can start to get a sense on whether certain sticks are wetter or not (with time and practice). There's a certain dankness you can get that is evident in wet cigars. After leaving out as I described above, it should dissipate some.

If it was stored too long wet, and that dankness has had enough time to permeate the filler all the way to the cap, it's done. You can't dry that out at that point. You'll smell and taste it the whole time.

Are all these sticks coming from a B&M?

Maduros can be more problematic.. especially the real leathery broadleaf's (CT, PA). Keep your puffs at 1 per minute at the fastest. Try and hold ash to an inch or so before ashing (I wouldn't risk longer than that with an unpredictable stick).

If I have a problem child, I'll gently blow on the area(s) that aren't burning in tandem with rest of the char line. That Tabernacle you had doesn't like a quick smoker. I also practically snort each and every cigar I smoke before lighting. At the foot, my nose is literally touching the long leaf while taking deep sniffs.

Depending on the filler, you can start to get a sense on whether certain sticks are wetter or not (with time and practice). There's a certain dankness you can get that is evident in wet cigars. After leaving out as I described above, it should dissipate some.

If it was stored too long wet, and that dankness has had enough time to permeate the filler all the way to the cap, it's done. You can't dry that out at that point. You'll smell and taste it the whole time.

Are all these sticks coming from a B&M?
I tried slow puffs, the cigars just die out. I have to keep on relighting every so often. I didnt have these issues months before, even when my cigars where at higher humidity (70-72%). I've noticed this happening as the weather became colder. I live in El Centro where its very hot 8 months out of the year, so I can tell this is an isolated issue seasonally speaking. I have dried boxing for weeks at 50% and the tunneling just keeps on happening. I buy from several reputable online retailers and they didnt have these issues before, just recently they do. I'm suspect of the interaction of the cold air and oily wrappers insulating instead of burning throughout the smoking session.

Can't put my finger on this one. I smoke whenever it's snowing or scorching hot outside without any problems. Have you ever tried separating a few sticks into a tuppador to see if this makes a difference? Could it be your humidification, still, that is inconsistent?

Can't put my finger on this one. I smoke whenever it's snowing or scorching hot outside without any problems. Have you ever tried separating a few sticks into a tuppador to see if this makes a difference? Could it be your humidification, still, that is inconsistent?
I know, it shouldnt be this way since its not that cold, just low 60s. As far as I know humidification has been consistent 65-72 throughout the year. I have hygrometers all over the place. Do you think my cigars might be a little dry on the inside and wet on the outside? I did lower the humidity recently, from 70 to 63-65

Last edited:
Not sure if wet or dry will have issues like tunneling. I would understand cigar going out if it’s too wet. is there a lot of wind where you smoke? That could cause tunneling or uneven burns

Not sure if wet or dry will have issues like tunneling. I would understand cigar going out if it’s too wet. is there a lot of wind where you smoke? That could cause tunneling or uneven burns
I smoke inside so no wind. If it was humidity related, I'm leaning more towards dry because I've been keeping these stogies in the low 60s and dry boxing in the 50s. So in theory they would dry from the inside out, making the filler burn faster than the wrapper

It seems as the filler is dry and the binder or some outer leaf is wet, causing the tunneling. Dont really know what could be causing it.

Attachments

• thumbnail_20230130_132721.jpg
    thumbnail_20230130_132721.jpg
    42.2 KB · Views: 14
  • thumbnail_20230130_133645.jpg
    thumbnail_20230130_133645.jpg
    41.3 KB · Views: 14
Your binder isn’t burning due to the fact it doesn’t appear to have been lit. If you torch the entire foot, prior to smoking it, and get an even burn going, it’s less likely to tunnel. Savvy?

Floyd T

Your binder isn’t burning due to the fact it doesn’t appear to have been lit. If you torch the entire foot, prior to smoking it, and get an even burn going, it’s less likely to tunnel. Savvy?

Floyd T
Actually, when I light my cigars, I start from the edge to the center. I also relight that way. The cigars just keep on tunneling. There seems to be some uneven humidity on the leaves.

Actually, when I light my cigars, I start from the edge to the center. I also relight that way. The cigars just keep on tunneling. There seems to be some uneven humidity on the leaves.
No you don’t, based on this stick. Just sayin. A lighter hasn’t touched the highlighted areas. Try this, buy a torch lighter, char the ENTIRE foot until it’s all darkened. Then light the ENTIRE foot. Keep checking to make sure it’s all lit.

Floyd T
ED8C3539-3526-4712-A920-7658FB78325D.jpeg

Last edited:
No you don’t, based on this stick. Just sayin. A lighter hasn’t touched the highlighted areas. Try this, buy a torch lighter, char the ENTIRE foot until it’s all darkened. Then light the ENTIRE foot. Keep checking to make sure it’s all lit.

Floyd T
View attachment 65111
Based on this picture, I believe we are being trolled. Center square for the block!

Floyd T
View attachment 65111
I cut the tunnel portion and this was the result. It was just to show what is burning and whats not.