• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Old Cohiba question

Let's be clear, I did not say they were not cuban, chances are they are. The pigtails need to be tight, short and uniformed. The bands have to be perfectly placed, overlapping at the same point on every band and these bands look pretty bad.
Also, the bands would never end in the middle of the dots, this is a big tell...

Thanks for clarifying the band issues! Do you have pics of any that are uniform and proper?
I do know they had 2 different but similar bands in the 80s. The dots and top spacing were different. If they cut the top different would it be illogical to think the length was cut different also? Min Ron Nee shows bands ending on middle of dots.

cohiba-standard-band-b_800x228 (1).jpg
Min Ron Nee also shows a band that isn't properly or perfectly applied. If you look closely the band doesn't even overlap itself correctly.

Screenshot_20230426_174918_Gallery.jpg

This is what the pigtails looked like before I tried unraveling them to get them to stand out. They were all the same before I messed with them. Rookie move, won't do that again.

20230426_174216.jpg
20230426_174147.jpg

Last edited:
I dunno! I'm going to go against the grain and say that I don't see anything that says these cigars are indeed counterfeit. If so..... Wow! Nice find! 😎

What was the story you were given about provenance?
I agree. The bands are not aligned perfectly, but Min Ron Nee's book shows Cohiba bands that aren't perfect also. I unravelled the pigtails except for one in an effort to get a picture, and see the leaf shape they cut to twist a pigtail.

They came from a private collection, and he did me a favor by parting with them. I was asked not to share the name so as not to step on any toes of others who would want some of them.

The final deciding factor for me is how they taste. They taste like Cohiba, and smoke impeccably. It's amazing what age does to them.

I would LOVE to find some 1970s lanceros to try.
I am also in search of the original 1960s band lancero (black and brown).

Thanks for clarifying the band issues! Do you have pics of any that are uniform and proper?
I do know they had 2 different but similar bands in the 80s. The dots and top spacing were different. If they cut the top different would it be illogical to think the length was cut different also? Min Ron Nee shows bands ending on middle of dots.
View attachment 67803
View attachment 67806

This is what the pigtails looked like before I tried unraveling them to get them to stand out. They were all the same before I messed with them. Rookie move, won't do that again.

View attachment 67801
View attachment 67802
Much better pigtail in this pic... That looks good. Also, show me the MRN band picture that you say ends in the middle of the dots, I would love to see it.

Much better pigtail in this pic... That looks good. Also, show me the MRN band picture that you say ends in the middle of the dots, I would love to see it.
This is a shot of the page. On the right side the band is halfway through the dots. It's easier to see up close, but the band definitely ends in a white dot.

Some have bigger gaps than others above the white dots row also.

One of the pics on cubancigarwebsite shows a band misaligned on the cigar. Image attached. If I look closely the top and bottom don't align perfectly. Even though these cigars were made in the 80s and the prime of Cohiba, I would expect some slight variation, depending on who cut the labels, apploed the labels, or how rushed they were to fill a box.

These things taste distinctly Cohiba.

Screenshot_20230427_182850_Adobe Acrobat.jpg

Screenshot_20230427_183741_Chrome.jpg

This is a shot of the page. On the right side the band is halfway through the dots. It's easier to see up close, but the band definitely ends in a white dot.

One of the pics on cubancigarwebsite shows a band misaligned on the cigar. Image attached. If I look closely the top and bottom don't align perfectly. Even though these cigars were made in the 80s and the prime of Cohiba, I would expect some slight variation, depending on who cut the labels, apploed the labels, or how rushed they were to fill a box.

View attachment 67845

View attachment 67846
Funny that different spacing and amount of dots above the COHIBA from year to year, decade to decade. I always wondered about that the 80's bands have three rows of dots. The 95 Lancero's I have only have two rows of dots. Does it mention that in MRN or not?

1D8A91FE-F2C1-467F-9CE6-D84E07207345.jpeg

Funny that different spacing and amount of dots above the COHIBA from year to year, decade to decade. I always wondered about that the 80's bands have three rows of dots. The 95 Lancero's I have only have two rows of dots. Does it mention that in MRN or not?

View attachment 67851
Cubancigarwebsite details the different time of changes in bands very well.

Screenshot_20230427_210822_Chrome.jpg

Some of the bands from '93 to '03 that were supposed to have 2 dots above only had one. I was scared off a box of those because I didn't know about that detail. The guy told me later that some were cut with one row of dots above, and cubancigarwebsite backed it up. Coronas Especiales and Siglo iii in this pic.
Screenshot_20230427_210926_Chrome.jpg

My client and great friend just gifted me a couple of Cohiba lanceros circa the early to mid 80s, but they're in cello. Years ago on the old defunct CF someone mentioned that around that time Cohiba were actually cellophane wrapped. Still curious, do you guys and gals know anything about this. Thanks in advance and when I finally smoke them after my cararact surgeries in the upcoming couple of weeks, I'll report on them. His Dad bought them somewhere around the mid 80s...
Let's see some pics!

View attachment 67845

View attachment 67846
I thought you were going to show me a cigar with the label....

I thought you were going to show me a cigar with the label....
The label circled in red shows a band that ends on dots.

Min Ron Nee book doesnt show the back of cigars from what I have seen. The only full labels are laid flat I think.

The label circled in red shows a band that ends on dots.

Min Ron Nee book doesnt show the back of cigars from what I have seen. The only full labels are laid flat I think.
That's exactly what I am talking about. The label you have circled does not represent the perfection that the "cigar labelers" preform... I have had hundreds of these cigars, all with perfectly attached labels (unless they were counterfeit, which I have had quite a few as well...)

That's exactly what I am talking about. The label you have circled does not represent the perfection that the "cigar labelers" preform... I have had hundreds of these cigars, all with perfectly attached labels (unless they were counterfeit, which I have had quite a few as well...)
So the Min Ron Nee book has fake bands in images?

I'm trying to be sure I understand what you are saying.

No, you are trying to be an ass hat... What I said was very clear.
I promise I'm not being a douche canoe intentionally. I must be slow. Sidebar: i swallowed part of a chicken bone earlier this week by accident. When googling if that was really bad the results for common causes were : mentally deficient or a prisoner. Sigh.

Honestly, Im trying to understand. The MRN book where I circled the band in red has the far side of the band ending in the middle of a white row of dots. I must not be understanding. I wouldn't be a stick in the mud in public on purpose. I really appreciate your time.

No, you are trying to be an ass hat... What I said was very clear.

No. Adam isn't like that at all. He's just genuinely confused. I get what he's asking.. and why he's confused. But I also get why you're getting frustrated too. I see he's replied now since I started writing this.. so I will stop!

I promise I'm not being a douche canoe intentionally. I must be slow. Sidebar: i swallowed part of a chicken bone earlier this week by accident. When googling if that was really bad the results for common causes were : mentally deficient or a prisoner. Sigh.

Honestly, Im trying to understand. The MRN book where I circled the band in red has the far side of the band ending in the middle of a white row of dots. I must not be understanding. I wouldn't be a stick in the mud in public on purpose. I really appreciate your time.
Bands are generally put on authentic cigars with care and precision. If the application looks like how I would have put on the bands, the cigar is likely fake, even if the band is authentic.

Yes, I understand your question. That band that you are referring to would have been placed on a cigar with the cut dots under the wrapper, and the band would have looked perfect on the cigar. Hope this explanation helps.

My client and great friend just gifted me a couple of Cohiba lanceros circa the early to mid 80s, but they're in cello. Years ago on the old defunct CF someone mentioned that around that time Cohiba were actually cellophane wrapped. Still curious, do you guys and gals know anything about this. Thanks in advance and when I finally smoke them after my cararact surgeries in the upcoming couple of weeks, I'll report on them. His Dad bought them somewhere around the mid 80s...
It is always been my understanding that Cuban cigars do not come wrapped in cellophane. Unless, they are put in cellophane by the vendor selling them.
Edit: just like the glass top boxes, they are ALL fake.