• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

08 Trinidad Coloniales

Scottw

I did a search and saw some mixed reviews on this cigar (not a specific year) but a vendor has the 08's at a rather attractive price. Is anyone smoking and enjoying these at this point or are there better, price comparable alternatives. Also, any advice on how long these should sit before smoking?

Thank you for the help!

I just got some '08 Trini Coloniales and was a bit disappointed. They are young but I've had them this young before and they were much more flavorful. Of course, you never know what aging will do with Cubans. I saw that same sale(I think) and, despite my so-so experience, I was still tempted at that price. But "never knowing about Cubans" can work both ways. ;)

If you aren't planning on smoking them soon you MAY want to pull the trigger and stick them away to age. But if you're like me you only have so much storage and budget ...

Steve

Edit to add: the box I have is the same date as the one on sale. I paid $20 more for it than the sale price. They are only a year and a half old so in six months they may be quite different. I guess I'm on the road to find out. But as to whether you should buy the same box I can only say be prepared to age them at least six months before you smoke them.

While the Reyes & the Fundadores have always been the Trini of choice, I happen to like the Coloniales and have a box of FEB '08. They smoked pretty good from the beginning with the exception of the final 3rd of the stick that got a little harsh and bitter. I smoked one on it's 2 year anniversary last month and they are coming along nicely, they are beginning to develop into a more well rounded cigar with a more straight forward tobacco taste....not as grassy as when they were younger.

Like Steve just mentioned, if you have the room Scott, buy them and let them sit for a few months...if after that time you don't like them, send them to me for disposal.... :laugh:

Had an '05 last week and it was very good. Not a big fan of these young, but with 5 years on them... mmmmmmm. :thumbs:

I got a 5er in of them a few months back. All pretty tasty!

It's a small smoke, I wouldn't treat it as a real important stick.

I got a 5er in of them a few months back. All pretty tasty!

It's a small smoke, I wouldn't treat it as a real important stick.
The only important cigar is the one I happen to be smoking at the time. :D

I like Coloniales but the smaller Reyes is much more flavorful and the Fundadore is a classic, too.

While the Reyes & the Fundadores have always been the Trini of choice, I happen to like the Coloniales and have a box of FEB '08. They smoked pretty good from the beginning with the exception of the final 3rd of the stick that got a little harsh and bitter. I smoked one on it's 2 year anniversary last month and they are coming along nicely, they are beginning to develop into a more well rounded cigar with a more straight forward tobacco taste....not as grassy as when they were younger.

Like Steve just mentioned, if you have the room Scott, buy them and let them sit for a few months...if after that time you don't like them, send them to me for disposal.... :laugh:

Letting them sit would try my patience a good deal but it seems like the result is worth it. I have to go home tonight and play some cigar tetris and if I can squeeze another box in, I might just pull the trigger. Gary, is there a comparable smoke out there that smokes well young?

Letting them sit would try my patience a good deal but it seems like the result is worth it. I have to go home tonight and play some cigar tetris and if I can squeeze another box in, I might just pull the trigger. Gary, is there a comparable smoke out there that smokes well young?
Scott....taste is so personal. I'd go with the Reyes as a first Trinidad myself...a little smaller and good as a cold weather smoke, time wise. Then they become a great grilling smoke as the weather warms up! The PLPC are pretty good in around that size as well...but taste almost the same...you have to like that taste of a young cigar to appreciate them now.

Look at a box of PSD4 as well....they seem to be at good prices at this time.

Good luck!

Scott....taste is so personal. I'd go with the Reyes as a first Trinidad myself...a little smaller and good as a cold weather smoke, time wise. Then they become a great grilling smoke as the weather warms up! The PLPC are pretty good in around that size as well...but taste almost the same...you have to like that taste of a young cigar to appreciate them now.

Look at a box of PSD4 as well....they seem to be at good prices at this time.

Good luck!
Thanks so much Gary, I appreciate it!