• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

1930’s Mahogany Pilar Humidor H Upmann Havana

California123

Very first post. Long time avid cigar smoker. These pictures you see of a humidor. My father purchased in the 1960’s in an antique store in greater Los Angeles for 60 dollars for twin humidors. I tried Sotheby’s and I tried The antique Humidor Shop. The humidors are possibly form the 1930’s and from Cuba made of mahogany.

J.F. Bailey (antique Humidor shop) who I do not know but stated via email that in 30 years of Humidor sales and restoration he has never seen anything like it.

They are my fathers Humidors and he is the one who introduced me to cigar smoking. I would love and details or even theories. I’m wondering if this was a commercial sale where these were in a fine cigar store or wealthy smoker. They say in the door H Upman Dunhill double Claro. Sounds like a clue. Was this a one of a kind rare cigar or type of cigar. The fact that there are two humidors sounds more on the commercial end. Hmmmmm.

thank you all ahead of time.

Murph.

Attachments

• FBF1E34D-C541-47DC-8D95-BDDF101E0FF7.jpeg
    FBF1E34D-C541-47DC-8D95-BDDF101E0FF7.jpeg
    108.4 KB · Views: 41
  • B312B171-B769-4DFD-B758-F81A27219147.jpeg
    B312B171-B769-4DFD-B758-F81A27219147.jpeg
    105.3 KB · Views: 41
Murph, hell of a humi, would like to see the inside. Before you do that, please take a moment and sign in under the New Members Forum and let us get to know you better. CP is a great place to hang out, great brothers and information to be had. You would be more than welcome And we would love to hear about your smoking experiences.

I am no furniture expert by any means, but from the couple of pics I see it looks like a round pedestal storage cabinet from the mid-century with a cigar box lid glued to the inside of the door. I have seen many MCM pieces similar to this, without the cigar reference of course, most of the time they were used for mini-bars for liquor. Cool piece though... Try googling "Round Liquor Cabinet" or "Pedestal Cabinet"

Last edited:
Let's give 'em a friendly spin.

I also think it's a box lid inlaid or a cedar box divider glued on - you can see traces of stain on the edges of the lighter wood. I'd almost go with divider since the lettering is just inked on, their box lids were a little fancier I think, like this one that's inked and embossed.

Also, dividers typically have one corner clipped like the ones on your piece, doing all 4 would keep the symmetry. Dunhill had a distinctive trademark way of displaying their name, with enlongated D, H, and LL. If this was a Dunhill licensed piece, I bet you'd see that.

And I'm no expert on furniture or H.Upmann Cubans, just my guess from digging around a bit.

upmann-habana-cuba-cigar-box-dunhill_1_510ec343f2859db460c6c79f305a35fd (1).jpg

upmann-habana-cuba-cigar-box-dunhill_1_510ec343f2859db460c6c79f305a35fd.jpg.

FBF1E34D-C541-47DC-8D95-BDDF101E0FF7.jpegB312B171-B769-4DFD-B758-F81A27219147.jpeg

Edit: One more of a Dunhill box divider

InsideDunhill.jpg

Last edited:
Hello!
Can you post a few photos of the inside? Also, measurements of the height and width for reference? I know someone in the UK who might be able to help.

Double Claro is another term for a candela cigar.