• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

1960s H Upmann Especiales

H. Vachon

King of the Hobo Hut
I meant to get this posted a few days ago but work has been crazy. @jfields THANK YOU again for this opportunity. This is a cigar I will never forget.

IMG-9971.jpg

Dry Draw: Musty tobacco, leather and cedar.
Toasted at 7:00 PM
Initial thoughts: First Draw was VERY musty. Once that was out of the way, the flavors turned very pleasant. Probably the sweetest cigar I've ever had. Leather, chocolate, cedar and cayenne pepper. The finish lasts a really long time.

IMG-9972.jpg

First third: A lot of cedar and leather right at the front. Toasted notes and some unknown baking spice in the background. I'm absolutely blown away by how flavorful this cigar is. It has the strength flavor-wise of a young cigar, but it's silky smooth. No burn at all through the retro. A few minutes into the first third the flavor profile actually reminds me of a Rosado wrapper but with a little spice added to the finish. I haven't read anything about this cigar prior to smoking. The flavors remained unchanged through the end of the first third. There is a musty undertone that I can only relate to the notorious "grandma's attic" that I have heard some of you talk about before. I can't think of a better way to describe it.

I have the door of my hobo hut propped open so I don't have to run my vent fan. The lingering smoke has a very warm and sweet aroma. I only brought ice water out to drink so I didn't obscure the flavors. I'm listening to the new Red Hot Chili Peppers album that dropped a few days ago. I've probably listened to it 4 times through now and just got the double vinyl set for my birthday which I'm pretty pumped about. It represents each of the many genres of RHCP through the years. They will always be one of my favorite bands.

Back to the review..

Second third: Still getting quite a bit of leather through the retro. Finishes with cream, toast and cedar. All the while accompanied by that musty attic note. Occasionally I get a hint of nutmeg. The smoke is very dry. Near the midway point the cayenne pepper is back on the retro. The burn is perfect and has required no touchups whatsoever (which is a huge deal because I'm OCD about my burn line).

Final third: Slightly less leather to start. Sweet chocolate, must and nutmeg at the forefront. The finish is still very dry which offsets the sweet flavors nicely. The final inch is notably more spicy than the rest of the cigar. It's not a harsh spice like a black pepper, just a very soft persistent tingle on the tongue and roof of my mouth. The closest comparison I can make is the sensation from cinnamon, but not the flavor if that makes sense.

Coming to a close: The last few draws off the nub are leather, cream, and cedar. An amazing finish to an outstanding cigar. If I smoke anymore, I'll burn my mustache. John, a million thanks for this incredible opportunity. I may never come across a cigar like this again, so I made sure to enjoy every single puff. Total smoke time was one hour and fifty-two minutes.

IMG-9979.jpg

I meant to get this posted a few days ago but work has been crazy. @jfields THANK YOU again for this opportunity. This is a cigar I will never forget.

View attachment 53987

Dry Draw: Musty tobacco, leather and cedar.
Toasted at 7:00 PM
Initial thoughts: First Draw was VERY musty. Once that was out of the way, the flavors turned very pleasant. Probably the sweetest cigar I've ever had. Leather, chocolate, cedar and cayenne pepper. The finish lasts a really long time.

View attachment 53986

First third: A lot of cedar and leather right at the front. Toasted notes and some unknown baking spice in the background. I'm absolutely blown away by how flavorful this cigar is. It has the strength flavor-wise of a young cigar, but it's silky smooth. No burn at all through the retro. A few minutes into the first third the flavor profile actually reminds me of a Rosado wrapper but with a little spice added to the finish. I haven't read anything about this cigar prior to smoking. The flavors remained unchanged through the end of the first third. There is a musty undertone that I can only relate to the notorious "grandma's attic" that I have heard some of you talk about before. I can't think of a better way to describe it.

I have the door of my hobo hut propped open so I don't have to run my vent fan. The lingering smoke has a very warm and sweet aroma. I only brought ice water out to drink so I didn't obscure the flavors. I'm listening to the new Red Hot Chili Peppers album that dropped a few days ago. I've probably listened to it 4 times through now and just got the double vinyl set for my birthday which I'm pretty pumped about. It represents each of the many genres of RHCP through the years. They will always be one of my favorite bands.

Back to the review..

Second third: Still getting quite a bit of leather through the retro. Finishes with cream, toast and cedar. All the while accompanied by that musty attic note. Occasionally I get a hint of nutmeg. The smoke is very dry. Near the midway point the cayenne pepper is back on the retro. The burn is perfect and has required no touchups whatsoever (which is a huge deal because I'm OCD about my burn line).

Final third: Slightly less leather to start. Sweet chocolate, must and nutmeg at the forefront. The finish is still very dry which offsets the sweet flavors nicely. The final inch is notably more spicy than the rest of the cigar. It's not a harsh spice like a black pepper, just a very soft persistent tingle on the tongue and roof of my mouth. The closest comparison I can make is the sensation from cinnamon, but not the flavor if that makes sense.

Coming to a close: The last few draws off the nub are leather, cream, and cedar. An amazing finish to an outstanding cigar. If I smoke anymore, I'll burn my mustache. John, a million thanks for this incredible opportunity. I may never come across a cigar like this again, so I made sure to enjoy every single puff. Total smoke time was one hour and fifty-two minutes.

View attachment 53985
Awesome review 👍. Box split anyone ?? 😉

How did I miss this! Excellent review Hayden. I’m going to smoke one on the VHerf to compare to your thoughts tonight. Glad you enjoyed it brother!!

Fantastic review on a fantastic cigar. Thanks and I look forward to reading your next one. 👍

Well done sir, impressively detailed account of a truly rare puro. I enjoyed reading through the flavor profile and it's progression. Glad you had the opportunity, happy birthday!