• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

1983 - Rey Del Mundo Panetelas Largas

hojadepuro

eschew obfuscation
Myself, Razorback, and Bond were gifted with one of these cigars from a very generous Brother! Since, these cigars were rolled the same year Nick and I were born we decided to fire them up on Nick (Razorback's) birthday. These cigars are VERY thin and look very old... I guess it is because they are 24 yrs old. :blush: I have only smoked one other 24yr old cigar, and I am ready to compare notes! :D

IMG_2279.jpg

I arrive bearing gifts! This will be the drink of choice today!

Specs on the cigars:

Manufactured: Hand Made
Gauge: Thin
Length: 175 mm.
Vitola: Panetela Larga
Ring: 28
Weight: 5,01 gr.
Size: 6.9 x 28

IMG_2254.jpg

All three smokes laid out on the stinky! The weather outside is perfect! In the upper 70s with a nice breeze blowing. The sky is overcast, and storms are rolling around us. We have a small lighting and thunder show to keep us in suspense. :thumbs:
It doesn't take long for these old cigars to take the flame. They are about the ring gauge of a cigarette, so they light up quickly. The ash is white and flaky like many other aged cubans, but it will only hold on for an inch or so due to the ring gauge. The initial flavor is decent. I expected there to be a lack of flavor due to the age of the cigars, and there was! :( I am getting slight cedar and earthy notes out of the cigar, but nothing that blows me away, and nothing that compares to the floral notes of the aged Davidoff from the same year.

IMG_2259.jpg

The draw on my cigar is perfect. I am surprised by the copious amounts of smoke billowing from my cigar, and can't help but notice that Nick is having a hard time smoking his cigar! He says it feels like a stone has been lodged about the mid way point of his cigar. I feel bad that the birthday boy is having to struggle with his cigar, but I try not to let it take away from MY experience. :sign: Just kidding. The whole time I assured him that he was not missing out on anything spectacular. The flavor was muted the whole way through. I had a few puffs that were exceptional, but for the most part the cigar was marginal.

IMG_2263.jpg

IMG_2265.jpg

Not only was Nick's cigar plugged, but it also had a tear in the wrapper. He removed the band to investigate further, and the leaf started to unravel on him.

IMG_2268.jpg

B.J.'s and my cigar are burning exceptionally well! I have noticed no changes in the flavor throughout the cigar. It has been very one dimensional the entire way. A few puffs reminded me of a Connie 29 :love: :laugh:

IMG_2270.jpg

B.J enjoying the last part of his cigar.
IMG_2272.jpg

Nick trying to make due.
IMG_2273.jpg

Me with some nice banana plants in the background.

IMG_2278.jpg

The cigar actually got a little gross on me at this point and I decided to let it go. The cigar was a great experience, but was not a great cigar. It was a treat to smoke a cigar that was rolled the year I was born, but this cigar was well past it's prime.

We were all a little disappointed so we lit up a few trusty cigars for round two. Nick had a PAM imperial, BJ had an Opus with about a year on it, and I lit up a LFD DL Lancero. Overall a great time celebrating Nick's day; we had some great beer and great smokes!

Take care,
Brandon

:thumbs: And how was that Sam Adams Oktoberfest beer?

Happy belated Birthday wishes!

*edit* 1983... lol that was the year I graduted from High School :p

Nicely done, Brandon!

The only real flavor that I noted, in addition to Brandon's, was that of those orange marshmallow peanuts. It was somewhat strange.

The beer was great, the food was great, and the weather was just about right! It's too bad Nick's cigar was a real piece. At least he followed it up with a good ol' reliable PAM.

Very nice review and pics Brandon.

Pity about the cigar though. I guess these are one of those that do not get better after say 10 years or, could it have been storage? It's not easy to buy a vintage cigar unless
you feel comfortable with that supplier. As Moki says, if the cigar is not stored well for just several weeks of it's life, it may never come back.

Brian

Nice Brandon!
I'm curious to try these myself. I'll have to let you know when I do, if they taste anywhere near the same.

Thanks for sharing your experience.

I have a box of these and it could be storage, I noticed the wrapper to be very wavy and inconsistent, perhaps from humidity fluctuation.
However, I quite enjoyed the 2 I have smoked. No unlike your experience, it produced tons of smoke for such a small gauge.
When smoked slowly I noticed the flavour profile change quite a few times.
Again not the best smoke, but enjoyable.....something I will be smoking often because they are done aging ! :D

...can't help but notice that Nick is having a hard time smoking his cigar!

This was indeed the worst plug I have ever encountered in my years of cigar smoking. :angry: I was able to draw just enough to keep the thing lit, but with so little smoke it just tasted like ash. Probably should've pitched it, but foolishly kept hoping it would open up.

We did have a good time and the beer was excellent. :thumbs: IMO you can't beat Sam Adams Octoberfest for a moderately priced fall beer.

Nick

Nice review, sorry to hear about the plug/wrapper problem, but I would have keep smoking on that sucker. I have had a couple of cigars that were plugged so bad I sucked my underware up my ass trying to get a little smoke. :blush:

Ken

I might have sent the wrong impression. The smoke was not bad, it just wasn't what I hoped it would be. I enjoyed the cigar. The burn was great, lots of smoke, the flavor was decent... just not what I hoped it would be. It was not anything exceptional. I cannot vouch for the storage of the person that gave it to me, so I cannot compare it. It was a great experience though. Thoroughly enjoyed! :thumbs:

THE BEER WAS GREAT BTW!! :D

Brandon

I have a box of these and it could be storage, I noticed the wrapper to be very wavy and inconsistent, perhaps from humidity fluctuation.
However, I quite enjoyed the 2 I have smoked. No unlike your experience, it produced tons of smoke for such a small gauge.
When smoked slowly I noticed the flavour profile change quite a few times.
Again not the best smoke, but enjoyable.....something I will be smoking often because they are done aging ! :D

I would be willing to double check this next time we meet up :D :rolleyes: