• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

1997 VR Famosos

stepthirteen

Either get busy living, or get busy dying
I have to start off by saying I am not a big VR fan. Just does not generally blow my hair back. That said here is my review of this 1997 VR Famosos.

Prelight I have to say this cigar was boring. The smells from the cigar are nonexistent, though I smoke cigs, so that may be a reason for not sensing anything. The construction of the cigar is nothing special and in fact it seemed mediocre at best.

I fired this bad boy up and it lends plenty of dry smoke that tastes of tree bark. I continue to smoke the cigar and it still is not at all what I expected. The flavors gain complexity as I continue through the cigar. I sense some spice, but nothing that overtakes me.

About half way through I notice the cigar is not burning properly and I have to correct it before it goes way south. About halfway through this cigar gains in complexity and the flavor returns to an oak/nut flavor. I like this flavor in cigars and was glad this happened because honestly I was beginning to get bored.

The final few puffs of the cigar where pleasant and interesting and there was some flavors that my beginners palate could not identify. I like this cigar, but honestly I would still not purchase any of these.

Jim

I have to start off by saying I am not a big VR fan. Just does not generally blow my hair back. That said here is my review of this 1997 VR Famosos.

Prelight I have to say this cigar was boring. The smells from the cigar are nonexistent, though I smoke cigs, so that may be a reason for not sensing anything. The construction of the cigar is nothing special and in fact it seemed mediocre at best.

I fired this bad boy up and it lends plenty of dry smoke that tastes of tree bark. I continue to smoke the cigar and it still is not at all what I expected. The flavors gain complexity as I continue through the cigar. I sense some spice, but nothing that overtakes me.

About half way through I notice the cigar is not burning properly and I have to correct it before it goes way south. About halfway through this cigar gains in complexity and the flavor returns to an oak/nut flavor. I like this flavor in cigars and was glad this happened because honestly I was beginning to get bored.

The final few puffs of the cigar where pleasant and interesting and there was some flavors that my beginners palate could not identify. I like this cigar, but honestly I would still not purchase any of these.

Jim

I had some of these from a group buy in the past. These were not anywhere as old as yours but I was not impressed at all either. Poorly constructed and all 5 were plugged very badly. Not I cigar I would buy. There are some who love them.

I absolutely love Famosos, although I've never had a 97 or any even close to that age, however the 07's I've been smoking are incredible (to my palate). :) Excellent review Jim! Keep 'em coming!

I'm a fan too. Wait a minute. Anybody else feeling deja vu right about now? :laugh:

The VR profile has never been one of my favorites. Doesn't mean they aren't good though.

I've got a box from FEB 08 of these. First one I smoked about 2 weeks after delivery tasted green and tannic to me. I had one a month later and thought it was very good althought I don't remember exact flavors. Construction/burn was good on both. I've been sitting on the others and haven't had one for a few months. I'm going to sit on them a little while longer before revisiting. Many people say these have good aging potential.