• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

25,000 Bees!

nfulton

I decided to try my hand at raising honey bees this summer. I spent the winter and spring building two apairies and getting ready. The Post Office called me at 6:30 this morning to tell me I had a package and it sounded angry. I picked them up and headed out to put them in the boxes. Keep in mind this is my first time and I am learning from books and a beekeepers event that I attended a few months back. Everything went well until I popped the lids and started shaking thousands of bees into their new homes. It didn't take long to get my heart pumping. They are much louder than I had anticipated and they knew I was the a**hole shaking them around. Anyhow, they are in the boxes and hopefully settling in and munching away at the simple syrup. Anyone else raise bees? I'd love to hear some good advice.

gallery_2712_32_78820.jpg

What a great idea. This is something I have thought about for a while. Keep us posted

There weren't any cigars in those boxes, were there? This years crop of noobs were pretty creative with their bombs.

This sounds really cool, I can't wait to see how this goes for you. Good luck.

I love how far away the pic is...lol was the misses scared or something.

Please keep us posted.

Paul

Please keep us posted.

Paul

I didn't get stung once. At least not that I noticed. I actually took my dad out with me. He wouldn't come within 50' of the boxes and I'm surprised he got close enough to take the picture. He spend most of the time in the truck yelling something about not having an epi pen! :laugh:

Please keep us posted.

Paul

I didn't get stung once. At least not that I noticed. I actually took my dad out with me. He wouldn't come within 50' of the boxes and I'm surprised he got close enough to take the picture. He spend most of the time in the truck yelling something about not having an epi pen! :laugh:

If you don't mind me asking what does 25,000 bees cost?

Hey uh, nice bees. Where do you live again Nate?

Please keep us posted.

Paul

If you don't mind me asking what does 25,000 bees cost?

About $250 with the shipping and insurance.

Hey uh, nice bees. Where do you live again Nate?

OHIO round on the ends and high in the middle!

That's cool! I have thought about starting a honey bee hive. There are tons of videos on youtube depicting how to start a bee hive. Luckily, you probably won't get stung too much, as honey bees are very docile. We have africanized killer bees in So Cal, and they're aggressive.

Keep us posted on your progress. I'll trade you some cigars for homemade honey comb.

What did the queen cost?

Good luck on your venture Nate. That took guts to release 25,000 bees. Protected or not.

For those members as ignorant about bee keeping as I am...check out this and this for some basic info. Seems all the bees are shipped at the beginning of May and have to be ordered 6 to 12 months in advance. Healthy Italian or Russian Queens can go for upwards of $30 each, more if you want them marked and have to be replaced every 3-4 years. Seems like a cool hobby that can be started for about $500-$600 all totaled.

I just can't get by the..."WTF? That guy is nuts walking into that swarm of bees!"

Keep us posted on your new hobby...with pictures if possible.

So that's what all this buzzzzzzzzz is about. I will stay tuned for the honey sale.

Congrats at our attempt to start your own colonies. Nothing like 'fresh' honey!

I would love to have bees but the little buggers send me into an anaphylaxis shock, damn allergies, I love fresh honey from the hive.
Good luck with the new hobby Nate, I hope they give you lots and lots of the golden goodness for years to come.

Wow that is awesome. I am 'fraid shizless of bees and wasps. But you go with your bad self. Have fun with your new hobby.