• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

4 Years - they've been a pleasure

Kid Montana

So towards the end of this month I hit 4 years (srsly) on Cigar Pass.   March 29th 2010 was month three of my second deployment to Iraq.  Fortunately I was working as a staff wienie for the Iraq national US command center in one of Saddam's old palaces so it wasn't exactly the toughest deployment ever.  I had sufficient time to smoke a cigar or two every day and I joined Cigar Pass to ask noobie questions about Cuban cigar provenance (lol).  

So if you want to play in my CP birthday contest, respond with a little bit about what led you to join Cigar Pass, whether it be on the recommendation of a friend, a Google search hit, or a panicked plea for advice on how to get a humidor stable at EXACTLY 67.5% RH.  On Saturday, 29 March 2014, I will pick two responses and send a nice little something for your contributions to this fantastic community.

I joined due to finding this site, in particular, more interesting than others I had been looking at. Once I joined I saw that the true effort at brotherhood was factual and it only served to keep me involved. I've not found another Cigar related forum that comes remotely close.

I Found CP a year or so after picking up a small 10 count humidor at the mile hi flea market. I searched and read About CP as well as other forums. I read a lot about members who were before me, and those that had passed and were tremendous BOTL. I decided CP was the place to be. A bit after joining, I did a NEWB mistake and while many were wanting my head on a platter, Jon (Souldog) helped me get my shit together and form an apology to CP. After that, I read more and posted less. I began contributing more and I loved the anticipation every year when it was Secret Santa time. I never posted a pic that I promised members back then, but here it is now... Me and my Grandmother Felecitas Tovar before she passed that spring.

thanks to all the fellow BOTL who wished me well during that time,as well as all others who helped me get through that rough patch as a member here at CP. You are all great. My life has forever changed for the better being a part of Cigar Pass.

Congratulations on your milestone KidMontana, here's hoping the next 4 years are just as good, if not better!

C

Kid Montana said:
panicked plea for advice on how to get a humidor stable at EXACTLY 67.5% RH. 
^^ This :) :) :laugh:

Kid, two things, first off thanks for you service!!  I can't thank service men and women enough.  Second, congrats on the Anny, I remembered when you joined.  Didn't you post pics of the palace you were at?

I joined CP like I think most people did, to learn about cigars.  I had just got my first "nice" humidor and wanted to find more info on how to treat it since I was going to be buying a "whole" box of cigars to fill it....i remember thinking how crazy it was that I was buying a BOX of cigars and not just a few.....told myself I would take it easy and there was no way I would buy more and fill that humidor :)  But, I was lucky enough to find CP on a google search, loved the outline of the board and began reading the humidor posts.  I was instantly hooked and read more info than I expected to find.  If it is one thing I can thank CP for is that I no longer have that urge/anxiety seasonal mood disorder with my humidors!!  I mean it probably took 2 years for that feeling to go away :p , but it was here that I learned how to relax.  I am not on other boards, I remember looking into them, but they just didn't interest me.  I am glad I made that choice and wonder where I would be today if I was on a different site!

Thanks Kid and CP!

It was the Spring of 2008 when I had started my decent from the summit of Mt. Kilimanjaro in Tanzania when I was having problems keeping a Monte #2 lit...and quite frankly, I had run out of ideas. Over 25 freakin' years of smoking cigars and I can't keep the damn thing going! So here I am struggling with my last cedar match when a mammoth blizzard moves in unexpectedly and I quickly moved to the most stable rock ledge I could find to set up my tent to ride out the storm. As fate would have it, my satellite phone was still working through the dense cloud cover and I was able to access the Internet. Go figure, there are times I can't even get cell coverage in my own town and here I get a link to SATCOM 3 on code 1979-101A at 19,000 feet. Whatever. At this point, with the winds howling at a sustained 70mph with gusts at over 90mph, I was able to Google 'how to light a cigar in a blizzard' and lo and behold, what pops up as the first hit?...Cigar Pass! 

I won't bore you guys with the rest of the story...

Ascent_zps07e27f6e.jpg

He's on stilts.

I got interested in cigars after looking at some Thompson's catalogs. I bought a cigar at a local shop, I later found out was a head shop ( I grew up in a religion that precluded smoking anything so I was pretty naive) band took it to a local bar. I smoked this cigar and one of the bartenders was a cigar smoker as well and pointed me to CigarPass with the admonition of "Don't be an ass". That is how I came to be here, sucks for all you guys.

Daniel, congrats on four years!  I'm still reeling from winning your Father's Day contest a few years ago. 

Congrats on the 4 years.

I found CP while sitting in Baghdad, Iraq.  My father was always an avid cigar smoker, but not premium brands.  The hobby had always been something I was interested in, but I really got into while deployedin 05'-06'.  It was one of the things from home I could still do while deployed.  So, like many others, I started doing more and more research online.  The more I learned the more I loved.  I came across CP in a search and lurked for a bit before joining up.  Very quickly out the gate, "Preembargo" lined up a box to send to me and my comrades in Iraq.  When the box arrived, it was shock, and thus my first taste of what CP was....not just a knowledge base, but a brotherhood.  I've been here almost 8 years since.

Congrats on four years with this bunch of hooigans.

My grandson ( Lurch ) came home on leave from Jarheadville ( Norfolk Naval Air ) at that time. While at the party he brings out his travel humi and says, here pops, try a good cigar ( Padron '64 maddie ). Said to check out CP and get the straight skinny, get my shit straight and become a real man.

When I joined, Souldog was telling his story of the BBMF and I asked a dumb question which caused a server malfunction of 96 not so pleasant notes because I was being an ass.

Thanks to all you, I'm deeper in debt, wifey hates me smelling like dog poop, but, LOVE DEM DANG STICKS.

Brickhouse said:
Congrats on the 4 years.

I found CP while sitting in Baghdad, Iraq.  My father was always an avid cigar smoker, but not premium brands.  The hobby had always been something I was interested in, but I really got into while deployedin 05'-06'.  It was one of the things from home I could still do while deployed.  So, like many others, I started doing more and more research online.  The more I learned the more I loved.  I came across CP in a search and lurked for a bit before joining up.  Very quickly out the gate, "Preembargo" lined up a box to send to me and my comrades in Iraq.  When the box arrived, it was shock, and thus my first taste of what CP was....not just a knowledge base, but a brotherhood.  I've been here almost 8 years since.
I remember that.

bfreebern said:

Congrats on the 4 years.

I remember that.

That's because you were part of the cause of destruction!

ironpeddler said:
It was the Spring of 2008 when I had started my decent from the summit of Mt. Kilimanjaro in Tanzania when I was having problems keeping a Monte #2 lit...and quite frankly, I had run out of ideas. Over 25 freakin' years of smoking cigars and I can't keep the damn thing going! So here I am struggling with my last cedar match when a mammoth blizzard moves in unexpectedly and I quickly moved to the most stable rock ledge I could find to set up my tent to ride out the storm. As fate would have it, my satellite phone was still working through the dense cloud cover and I was able to access the Internet. Go figure, there are times I can't even get cell coverage in my own town and here I get a link to SATCOM 3 on code 1979-101A at 19,000 feet. Whatever. At this point, with the winds howling at a sustained 70mph with gusts at over 90mph, I was able to Google 'how to light a cigar in a blizzard' and lo and behold, what pops up as the first hit?...Cigar Pass! 

I won't bore you guys with the rest of the story...

Ascent_zps07e27f6e.jpg

LMAO!  Okay, this cracked me up my friend! 

Many thanks for your service and congrats on the anni!  Like many I was looking for answers and just happened upon CP.  I was actually into scotch and bought my first batch of smokes from none other than Thompson's seeing as I heard they paired really well.  Yeah...I did.  Got my first fiver on here from Gabriel (Gmiranda33...where's he now days?) and that was all she wrote.  The slippery slope was all down hill, mighty fast, and the next thing I knew I was in cigar heaven.  GB's, wars, passes...ah so much fun I can tell ya.  Met a lot of great, great brothers who are second to none and hope to some day still meet them. 

But alas, shit happened, and I kinda lost touch...sadly.  But got a few smokes back in a small humi and things in life are good.  Taking it slow, but definitely want to get back into my passion of cigars, and back to CP. 

Thank you for your service and congratulations on your anni. I found CP through a friend of a friend. He worked with my neighbor and had come to a couple of picnics. I had been smoking cigars for about 5 years at that point and thought I was fairly knowledgeable in what to smoke. He invited me to the Quad State Herf which led me to join CP and I quickly learned how little I really knew. It astounds me think just how much brotherhood and sound advice I’ve received through this site.

My friend fatman1267 and I were getting ready for a fishing trip and decided to get some cigars to take with us.   We enjoyed those, and once back we decided to look more into the "hobby".   We stopped in to the Outlaw, and quickly became repeat customers.   We were told by Smokyballs and OutlawD to check out CP.   I was hesitant at first, but eventually signed up and immediately became hooked on the comradery.   A few months later I met up with a group of CP members from all over the country who had come to KC for the Padron event at the shop.  I was really hooked then after meeting a great group of guys (except the shady Filipino).  :laugh:

Thank you for your service and Congratulations on your 4 years. This is Day 1 for me lol. 

I am new to cigars (3-4 months) and I joined another forum to increase my knowledge and learn from others experiences. However, it was hard to to find such things as there was a lot of bickering and negativity floating aroung in the forum. It was difficult to have a thread going without it blowing up into something totally unrealted and fueled with hate and negativity. I began my search for another forum and I can across CigarPass. I am hoping that this one is different, and thus far I find it so. 

Two more days guys!   Thanks for the the thanks and some great stories.  

My wife got me what I thought was a good sized humi for Christmas a few years back.  It was a 50ct, and thought there was no way I was going to be able to fill it up.  I hadn't really smoked cigars except for the occasional golf course or special event cigar.

I started searching the internet for cigar forums, and stumbled on CP after the other two I previously joined I decided I didn't like.  From the day I joined and posted my intro, I knew this was the place for me.  The knowledge, friendly banter, support, and security that is shown in this family is second to none.  I was welcomed with open arms, yeah I made a few mistakes along the way, but after owning up to them and learning from them I'm still here.  

After doing the Newbie Trade with Niko, I quickly realized that my little 50ct humi was going to fill up really fast.  Since then, thanks to CP, I have a wineador that is almost splitting at the seams.

The friendships I have made here really make this a special place.

ETA - Thanks for your service!