• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

A.F. Chateau Fuente Sun Grown

northernmoris

FFOX Whore
Arturo Fuente
Chateau Sun Grown '08

Origin: D.R.
Wrapper: Ecudorian Sun Grown
Binder: D.R.
Filler: D.R.
Place of purchase: Local B&M

Smoking Results

SIZE: Length: 4 1/2" Ring: 50 Cuban Belicoso
APPEARANCE: Dark caramel
CONSTRUCTION: Good weight, very firm
Cut: Cut with my Xicar x3
DRAW: Very tight
BURN: Horrible
FLAVOR: Sweet, spice, rich, earthy
STRENGHT: medium
SMOKING TIME: Only had 45min.
GENERAL IMPRESSION: Flavor profile is great, wrapper amazing

2011-04-04_16-06-39_86.jpg

2011-04-04_16-07-16_295.jpg

Lay out: I "tried" smoking this monday 4/4/11. From the time I got home from work and ate dinner I only had 45 minutes until I had to leave for a NY Yankees game. It was the second warmest day of the year reaching the low sixties. For the first time the wind is calm, the birds are chirping and I can here the kids playing baseball at the park. As I turned on my Sirius app. Peter Gabriel- Games without Frontiers just came on..

The smell of this cigar is fantastic. The color of the wrapper is a medium-dark caramel, there was a prominent vein running down the back. This stick has a good weight to it and feels very firm. When I clipped off the cap I found the draw to be extremely tight, at the band there was a hard spot. The predraw left a sweet taste on the lips and some spice on the tongue, not that Opus, Padron or Tat spice, but a nice subtle spiciness. I torched the foot and started with a even burn..

1/3 After a couple small puffs, I let it sit for a minute. The draw was so tight I couldn't get much smoke. The flavor though is spot on, there is a rich earthiness and a nice bit of spice on the tongue. The flavor is very rich and I love the taste of the sun grown wrapper. Because of the tight draw this is smoking slowly. On top of that, the burn is horrible and all over the place.

2011-04-04_16-16-35_286.jpg

2011-04-04_16-21-55_468.jpg

2/3 I really wanted to fully enjoy this smoke, I only picked this cigar because ymmit07 did a review and it made me realize A) I really enjoy this cigar, B) I haven't smoked one in a long time. After reading his post again we both had the same burn issues. Anyways, the flavor profile is amazing, its early in the second third and times up..

2011-04-04_16-31-31_318.jpg

3/3 Didn't get there.

So I can say, did the burn issues hinder the experience? Yes. But not enough for me to say I did not enjoy the taste. I would and will buy a box in a heartbeat. I love the spiciness of the wrapper, this is a tastey smoke. Put down the Opus, Padrons and other smokes and revisit a Chateau Sun Grown. Oh yeah, the Yanks beat the Twins 4-3.
Mike

Nice review! Glad I your interest sparked in them again. I myself plan on buying one or two more and letting them rest in the humi for a while. I wonder if the Burn issue is has something to do with that years crop? The Twins have always struggle against the Yanks. Not to mention they play dirty :p breaking our second baseman's leg.

Hey Mike-

I have a box of these I've had resting for almost a year and each of them has smoked fantastically. I'd be happy to send you a few from that box and see if those work any better for you.

PM me your addy and I'll get them out when I get a chance.

Maybe your are too far north, Morris??? Rarer air, fog from evaporating snow? Sure is a great smoke, but aging seems to help.

This was THE cigar that got me jumping two feet into this great hobby of cigars! Sorry your re-visit to an old friend turned out the way it did.
Methinks it's time for another box, I haven't had one for some time.