A good old fashioned whiskey?

bfreebern

Yada, Yada, Yada.
I had my first old fashioned at Ruth's Chris and really enjoyed it. Any suggestions on a whiskey? Thinking about trying to find Bulleit or something similar. Not much of a straight whiskey drinker, just can't do it.

Brickhouse

J.C. Newman owes me royalties.
Bulleit Rye is one of my favorite "go to's". I always keep two bottles at the house. You can almost always find it at any restaurant or bar as well. It's solid every single time.

They just came out with a Bulleit Rye 12 year.....and it's ridiculous good, but it's harder to find and usually not in bars/restaurants. But the standard is damn good.

mjolnir01

El Cañón de Latón
Solid x2 on Bulleit Rye. I've been trying to branch out into ryes lately, and Bulleit neat really hits the spot for me. I'm not a mixed drink guy, but I have to assume it'll make a solid component in your Old Fashioned.

The Black Cloud

Solid x2 on Bulleit Rye. I've been trying to branch out into ryes lately, and Bulleit neat really hits the spot for me. I'm not a mixed drink guy, but I have to assume it'll make a solid component in your Old Fashioned.
Have you had Templeton rye? I haven't had it in a while but I remember it being very good. I think High West has a very good rye. It's another one I have but haven't touched in a long time.

mjolnir01

El Cañón de Latón
Have you had Templeton rye? I haven't had it in a while but I remember it being very good. I think High West has a very good rye. It's another one I have but haven't touched in a long time.
Templeton Rye & Angel's Envy are on my radar thanks to a recommendation by another CP BOTL. High West is now on the list too... thanks!

golfgar

Bueller.... Bueller...... Anyone....... Anyone?
High West is one of my favorites as well. I like the campfire. Templeton is really good and much easier to find these days. Same with Angels Envy.. Pretty sure I saw both at Costco yesterday.
I’ve been using the Double Rye for Manhattans. Maybe I’ll try it in an Old Fashion.

Brickhouse

J.C. Newman owes me royalties.
I feel the need to say that I'm a huge rye fan. Meaning, I can't gaurantee everyone will like rye in their Manhattan's or Old Fashion's, but being that I have about 50 bottles of rye whiskey....about 50% of my stock, I like it neat, rocks, or in a cocktail.

Some find the boldness/spiciness of rye to be too much, I do not. I think it's fantastic and certainly adds a component to a cocktail you don't get with standard bourbon.

To each his/her own.

I feel the need to say that I'm a huge rye fan. Meaning, I can't gaurantee everyone will like rye in their Manhattan's or Old Fashion's, but being that I have about 50 bottles of rye whiskey....about 50% of my stock, I like it neat, rocks, or in a cocktail.

Some find the boldness/spiciness of rye to be too much, I do not. I think it's fantastic and certainly adds a component to a cocktail you don't get with standard bourbon.

To each his/her own.
I only take my Manhattans with rye. I'm not a bourbon guy and I'm of the understanding the traditional recipe calls for rye.

AVB

Jesus of Cool, I'm bad, I'm nationwide

To each his/her own.
A correct Manhattan is made with RYE. Jeez, you have as much rye as I do.

DePasta

Stop it! That tickles!
Dan, have you tried the 1792 High Rye? It's my current favorite high rye bourbon. It's fantastic.
yes, I have and it is very nice, Barton is starting to turn out some nice ones.

Speaking of Barton, I had been on the search for a Bottled in Bond to help complete my collection for some time. Finally tracked down the elusive Tom Moore BiB (95% have never heard of it), it is made by Barton and only sold in Texas as a 1.75. Last night I mixed up and old fashioned with it and it was very good. 1792 BiB is very similar.