• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

A noble man died

vortex

"A billion Eddie Barzoons jogging into the future
Ali was one of my personal heros. He died last Friday. Just a regular guy in many ways but a man of destiny and distinction, too. He showed us all true courage, the courage of your conviction. And was damn entertaining, in and out of the ring. I will never forget the Frazier vs Ali fight. Brutal yet beautiful.

He truly was a remarkable man. I went from hating his youthful cockiness of his youth to seeing what a genius and humanitarian he was. What he achieved in his lifetime, I could not do in 1,000. A truly exceptional human being. RIP Champ.

I remember also being put off for a moment or two by his lack of humility. But then I realized it was an act much like pro wrestling. He later said he called himself "The Greatest" thinking if he said it enough people would start to believe it. I don't doubt he was mimicing ad men and political rhetoric. But his delivery was fantastic and pure poetry.

I posted elsewhere that my mom rode the school bus with him in Louisville. That was still in the era of segregation and colored sections in the back of the bus. She said that not every day but pretty close to every day the bus driver would have to stop the bus and walk back to have a talk with Cassius. Apparently he didn't take too kindly to having to ride in the back of the bus (who could blame him or anyone else) and while he didn't take issue with any of the students, he made a point to aggravate the bus driver. Apparently when the bus would stop and the driver would say the name 'Cassius', young Cassius would lean out in the aisle and look up toward the front with the innocent face of an angel. My mom said that it was hard to imagine a more handsome kid than him. I think eventually he stopped riding the bus or maybe he was asked to stop riding the bus. But as his career started taking off my mom used to watch with fascination how that kid came up from those streets in Louisville to become a legend.

He was really something to behold. May he rest in peace.

Yes, thanks for sharing that story. Great stuff!