• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

A question for a lawyer...

JackImpact

I want to move to Colorado to live with my current girlfriend and continue my education. The only way to qualify for in-state tuition is if...

A. We are under 23 and married
B. One of my parents or legal guardians has been living there for atleast a year
C. I've been living there for a year

When my parents moved to Florida when I was in high school, they made my grandfather my legal guardian.

Is there anyway to make one of my girlfriends parents my legal guardian so that I would then qualify for in-state tuition?

Thanks.

Aren't you past the age where you can have a legal guardian?

I didn't marry my guardian you gd weirdo. Also I won't get into your van for free candy

I didn't marry my guardian you gd weirdo. Also I won't get into your van for free candy

Wait until you get older....and creeckier....she'll be your gaurdian and controll the purs....ummm, did someone say BACON?!

Mmmmm..

As for the OP...I pm's smokelaw1.

Not only is he great at answering these things...he also give out free 1st question newbie packs to all who ask! :thumbs:

Thats what I was wondering. What does being 23 or being married have to do with my residency? And if Im younger than 23, why does it matter where my parent or legal guardian is from? Im an adult...

Q. Who can be considered a legal guardian?

A. A legal guardian is defined as someone appointed by the court with personal and financial responsibility for a minor. The tuition law also requires the court document reflecting the appointment to state that the appointment is not for tuition purposes and to certify that parents do not contribute to the minor's support.

http://highered.colorado.gov/Finance/Residency/faq.html

Oh...it ends at 22y/o.

It's a tax issue. The state of Colorado is trying to ensure that people who don't contribute to their tax base, don't get to take advantage of the state tax subsidized tuition.

They ensure that "true residents" get to benefit from the tax dollars they have invested in the system.

Colorado determined that in order to meet the requirements of a qualified person, meaning someone who has the ability to establish a home in the state, you must be over the age of 22...unless you emancipated yourself as a minor.

So, I have to make my girlfriends Dad or Mom as my legal guardian, move out there and apply for classes?

So, I have to make my girlfriends Dad or Mom as my legal guardian, move out there and apply for classes?

That sounds like a giant disaster of awkward waiting to happen. I would just pay the extra tuition.

It seem you have less than a year to pull this off and would save on maybe one semester.

At 22, you're on your own and can take the break...as long as you were there for the required time(to be considered a resident.

Good luck.

Am I to assume you've been having a long distance relationship with your girlfriend all this time? No wonder you love shooting your guns off.
laugh.gif

Seriously, I would live there for a year, attend school as a non-resident and work in the area, if that's feasible on your budget.

No. If you have viable parents who live in another state and you did not emancipate yourself before you were 21, you will have a very difficult time convincing the state of Colorado that there is a good reason to appoint a new guardian. The law was put into place to prevent this kind of fraud. The question will be asked, "Why do you need another guardian, if you still have parents?" If your answer is, "resident tuition," they will laugh you out of the room. Meanwhile, while you are fighting this legal battle, you could have rented a cheap apartment (or paid a nominal rent for a room from your girlfriends parents) for a year and your problem is solved. Establish residency yourself and be patient.

"As Jack's World Turns". I love it. Damn, If I didn't get updates on his life, every flippin' day, I'd be lost. :rolleyes:

Doc.

Stop trying to figure out how to get around the rules. Do it the right way or don't do it at all. Live your life honorably.

Not my area of expertise, and its been a while since I went through the process myself. But my guess is that you would qualify for instate tuition regardless of your legal guardian's state of residence, if you can file your FAFSA application without listing yourself as someone else's dependent. As Ketch said, its probably a tax thing. Also, (another guess) if the requirement is that your legal guardian be a resident for at least a year, there may also be a look-back to ensure that they have also been your legal guardian for at least a year (a la medicare look-back).