• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

A special cigar for a special night

DirtyDave

Newbie Dirtball
So today was a good day, despite the fact that it was Monday. Have you ever waited for something for so long that it almost didn't seem real anymore? Today was the day that my long awaited item finally became real as I held it in my hand... For a little back story.

In September of 2006 I became the proud owner of an L6 Bainite bare blade made by Howard Clark. Howard is an accomplished swordsmith who makes the most durable swords in the world, his Bainite blade being the pinnacle of durability. He has managed to do something with this steel that nobody else can do, that's make a blade with a bainite body, and a martensite edge. Bainite is a state of steel that is tremendously resistant to taking a set, so it bends, but springs back to straight. This is particularly important to me because I practice test cutting with my swords, and a bend can mean the end of a good sword. This will survive my mistakes better than anything else out there. But, I'm beginning to ramble.

In September of 2007 I was lucky enough to score a place in the queue of renouned polisher Keith Larman. Keith is a real artist, and I had always hoped that I would be able to have him polish my Clark blade someday. While I've discussed the project with Keith a number of times over the past two years, I had not seen the fruits of that labor until today.

It is beautiful. Not only can I tell that this will be one hell of a cutter, but it is very beautiful as well. I decided to go with a water/gate theme for the sword. The scabbard is a navy blue. The guard, a fence with a gate and a stream running by it, and the ornaments on the handle are Tori gates on the water. Here are a few pictures:

HowardClarkL6Bainite.jpg

To celebrate the arrival of my long awaited sword, and some good news at work, I decided to fire up a stick that I've been waiting to try. I'd been saving my Cohiba Siglo IV's for special occasions, this seemed to fit the bill to a T! The cigar was very well constructed. The foot bunched nicely. A perfect triple cap for me to punch. A sweet tobacco aroma when I sniffed the foot. YUM. And it didn't disappoint. Huge plumes of smoke as I relaxed under the stars for a little over an hour. I can see why people rave about these. I'm looking forward to seeing how these develop because this stick was still rather young, June 08. I figured I wouldn't review this one since it's been done a number of times already, but I will say that if you ever have the chance to try one of these, do. It's worth it.

The good news at work? No official word yet on if I'll be keeping a position, but the outlook has vastly improved. After an email went out about a call the head of our HR department received praising me, I was flooded with emails of congratulations. It allowed me to discuss my situation with a number of people who had some inside info. Turns out that our IT department has received termination notices for everyone in my office except me. Good sign. Later I received an email asking if I'd help in a panel review for an employee. The review will take place 4 days after my branch is slated to close, and my employment terminated. The head of staff development, who asked for my assistance, said that she was fairly confident that I'd be around still in order to participate. Another glimmer of hope. :)

A perfect night to celebrate! Thanks for reading, and now for my question. What is your favorite celebration smoke?

Cheers!

The sword is beautiful. Congrats on the realization of a dream. I don't have a favorite celebration smoke. I smoke the best I have or best I have that doesn't have a predetermined demise.

Dave wouldn't a Palio or a Xikar be cheaper and easier to carry? :blush:

PJ

wow... nice sword and a good smoke. You should have at least cut the cap off with that thing! Congrats on the hopeful job outlook, too.

I had always hoped that I would be able to have him polish my blade someday

Funny, I heard soulpuppy saying the same thing the other day, but I think he meant something completely different. :p

It's a very beautiful sword Dave, I only have an imitation sword set my son brought back from Japan when he was stationed in Okinawa (sentimental value = priceless)

I have tried the Siglo VI and it is a great smoke, different from what I usually light up.

Super happy for you that there is hope in your days, makes waking up a little bit easier
thumbs-up.gif

My celebratory smoke?........anything I may have only 1 to 5 of in my humidor.....as long as it's not plugged
laugh.gif

Funny, I heard soulpuppy saying the same thing the other day, but I think he meant something completely different. :p

A man eats a pink donut ONCE, and forever he is labeled a poofter!! :0

That is one beautiful sword! I hope to enjoy a Siglo VI this saturday as well. May I ask what you test cut the sword with, I would not want to be on receiving end of that bad boy!! Congrats!!

May I ask what you test cut the sword with

Absolutely. We cut rolled tatami omote also known as goza. This is commonly used as a floor covering in traditional Japanese homes and is made of a specific type of grass woven together. It is rolled up and soaked in water for about 24 hours. Once it is ready to cut, it is about the resistance of cutting through a leg at about thigh level. There are designated cutting sequences that we use when doing the cutting of increasing difficulty.

In the style I study, we have a saying: "If you aren't cutting, you're just dancing." Meaning, kata (or forms) without being able to cut is worthless. Therefore as part of our testing we cut from our forms. This can be pretty tricky, but I have fallen in love with the art. I'll post some photos later, but my work computer is being a pain right now.

Congrats on an awesome sword and a great smoke! I've yet to smoke a REAL Cohiba (just about an inch of a fake one, you know the story...), but I know my dad just got a Siglo VI tubo that I may have to 'borrow' from him :)

I hope everything works out with the whole employment thing too, Dave!

See you soon, pal.

Jeffrey L.

Very nice sword and from what I have read, a very great smoke! Glad things are looking on the up and up for you.

Nice sword!
Why didn't you cut the cap of the Siglo with it though?
I would have!

-Rob

Very nice blade! Ever since I saw "Weapon Masters" I've been extremely impressed with what Mr. Clark does.

Wow Dave, that thing's crazy. Reminds of a story I read recently of some college kid at Hopkins lopping of the hand and then sticking his samurai balls deep in some intruder. You sword guys don't mess around I guess ???

Good to hear things are looking up at work, just don't take that thing with you if they call you into HR unexpectedly :D

Dave...glad to hear that the situation at work looks better. I hope good things lie ahead for you. Congrats on the sword. That is one impressive and beautiful piece of steel. I hope that it serves you well. As for as your selection for a celebratory stick...well I can't think of many cigars that would make a better choice.

Wow Dave, that thing's crazy. Reminds of a story I read recently of some college kid at Hopkins lopping of the hand and then sticking his samurai balls deep in some intruder. You sword guys don't mess around I guess ???

:0 Holy sh*t, you weren't kidding! Linky!

Yeah, that story was a hot topic on one of the sword forums that I frequent. If you ask me, he got what he had coming.