• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Adventures In Home Inspection (Some May Be NSFW)

Amazing what a fluffy tail does for your image! Otherwise just a rat…
I used to hunt and eat squirrel until one day I shot one high up in a tree and it landed in a creek. When I got to the drown rat, that was my last day of squirrel hunting.

Check this lil guy out. He’s missing his left eye. Just thought he was asleep at first. View attachment 48847
John, dont know if I ever told you this.

There was a family of squirrels living in a wall in an old house I used to live in. They were right beside my head when I was in bed.

I drilled a hole with a 1"paddle bit, dropped a moth ball in the hole, and the squirrel chaos was amazing! No more squirrels, a dab of drywall mud, and all was well😀

There was a family of squirrels living in a wall in an old house I used to live in. They were right beside my head when I was in bed.

I drilled a hole with a 1"paddle bit, dropped a moth ball in the hole, and the squirrel chaos was amazing! No more squirrels, a dab of drywall mud, and all was well😀
I remember you telling me that story. I thought that was at your cabin in Ohio?

Well we had our suspicions, that was the last one we needed checked off... Animal cruelty as a child ✔️

This young woman and her husband are so excited that they found a home with a wood burning fireplace. I haven’t gone down to give them the news yet, but I feel really bad for them. First home purchase for both and they told me during my in-brief that they wanted to make sure the fireplace was safe. Whomever installed the clay liner didn’t do anything to secure it so it wouldn’t shift later. Not safe to use currently, and won’t be a cheap repair. Picture isn’t visible the entire length of the flue, but you get the idea how jacked up it is.
image.jpgimage.jpg

This young woman and her husband are so excited that they found a home with a wood burning fireplace. I haven’t gone down to give them the news yet, but I feel really bad for them. First home purchase for both and they told me during my in-brief that they wanted to make sure the fireplace was safe. Whomever installed the clay liner didn’t do anything to secure it so it wouldn’t shift later. Not safe to use currently, and won’t be a cheap repair. Picture isn’t visible the entire length of the flue, but you get the idea how jacked up it is.
View attachment 49029View attachment 49030
Would the home warranty fix that?

Would the home warranty fix that?
No, they could ask the sellers to repair, but that most likely won’t happen. All of these homes around here are pretty much take it or leave it with no seller concessions. One of the reasons I’m in no hurry to buy a home right now in this market.

No, they could ask the sellers to repair, but that most likely won’t happen. All of these homes around here are pretty much take it or leave it with no seller concessions. One of the reasons I’m in no hurry to buy a home right now in this market.
The market is crazy, only difference from 2008 is that interest rates are low.

View attachment 49029View attachment 49030
Jeeeez

Come on, vice grips and duct tape would have that fixed in 10 minutes!

Plan B. Run a hose up to the chimney and turn it on whenever your having a fire. Now there is no risk of damage to the home!

Last edited:
That is sad, piss poor workmanship. Hard to believe they didn't know the fire clay stack didn't have to be mortared. I've never seen anything like it. Before they wright the place off they should consult with a wood stove vendor. There's got to be some sort of liner/insert that they can get installed. I know they have them for wood stoves going in an existing fireplace opening so they might be able to do something. If they really like the house its worth a shot.

That is sad, piss poor workmanship. Hard to believe they didn't know the fire clay stack didn't have to be mortared. I've never seen anything like it. Before they wright the place off they should consult with a wood stove vendor. There's got to be some sort of liner/insert that they can get installed. I know they have them for wood stoves going in an existing fireplace opening so they might be able to do something. If they really like the house its worth a shot.
I’ve seen those stainless liners. The ones where they are larger and they have to bust out the old clay liner to get it to fit are about $10k easily. The other type is either a 6 or 8 inch option. The 8 definitely wouldn’t fit because of the offset on some of those sections. The 6 inch I think would. But, it’s still around $5k last I checked, and you have to buy either a wood, or pellet stove to connect those to.

And yes, Been doing this several years now and I’ve never seen anything like it either. The mason did the two bottom sections correctly and then said “F it!”

@jfields John, could you see how far down the offset tiles went? In the pic, it looks like it might be just the last two tiles that are FUBAR?

How can a builder not be held responsible for something like that?

Tell the owners I will fix it for $2000

I will lift/break out the top tile, position the second tile properly, fill the cavity with mortar, chip or drill some of the mortar cap away, place the top tile tile properly, fill that cavity with mortar, remortar the cap, pick up my beer from you, have a cigar with you, and come home.