• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Aging RASS vs. Lusitania

Juanote

The sound of one hand fapping
Greetings, everyone.

I have only ever smoked one RASS, and it had about 7 years of age on it. It was fantastic: rich flavors, nice strength, and quite smooth as well. It's not too strong a statement to say that I loved it, and decided in that moment that I will be seeing much more of this cigar in the future.

This experience with an aged RASS has placed me in a quandry. My cigar budget is limited and will stay that way for a while (thanks to my infernal money pit of a house... another story). So I'm deciding between boxes of RASS and Partagas Lusitania. Most likely it's one or the other, and the other won't get bought this year and maybe well into 2016. So I'm pretty interested in OTT smokeability. Although I think Lusitanias are wonderful smokes, I think that RASS is the better overall value for myself, especially since I find the robusto size more convenient most of the time. If I buy some Lusis they will be smoked here and there when I can, and allowed to age for several years most likely, though I will relish smoking them. If I buy the RASS I plan to put them in the rotation right off, and I doubt the box will last more than a year and a half unless it really needs to be aged.

So there's my question: how are RASS OTT & with less than 2 years on them? In your opinion, how much age does it need to be highly enjoyable? And what are the aging potentials of Lusitanias? Do they improve significantly with age, or do they not change much? All of this will be factored into my choice.

Thanks for considering this topic gentlemen, and any that are willing to share their expertise on this subject have my gratitude.

Had a similar experience with RASS that you did: five year old RASS smoked in the morning with a strong cup of coffee and I was HOOKED (thanks again, Jason!). IMHO, they are enjoyable after a short rest in the cooler post travel. I took the suggestion of others here, got a box in 2011 and have smoked a few during the course of the year to see how they change. They have smoothed out and some of the "fruitiness" has muted. Well worth a box purchase, especially if you can find them on sale for <$8 per stick. Helluva bargain!

I can't speak to your questions on the Lusi's due to lack of experience, but look forward to the comments of others on this subject!

Speaking from experience (be it limited) and from reading current tends from vendors/forums. Young Lusitania are pretty good right now. Current RASS are good, if you have a vendor who will pick out a good box. Personally I think a young RASS, or aged are better. While in my experience an aged RASS vs an aged Lusitania, the RASS wins, keeps more umph, while the Lusitania is more mellow with enphasized mild spice notes.

It would boil down to 2 things,

1) which do you have time for?
As a robusto is less time commitment than a DC.

2) can you have a vendor pick out a good box?
This is crucial, as a stellar box of young, current Lusitanias may be a better stick than current RASS.

Good luck!

Light em up!

C

What are the characteristics of a "good box"? What does one ask for and look for?

Open up to inspect, wrapper for Lusitania in my opinion should be nice and dark with redness, dark Colorado shade. For RASS, nice medium dark brown like a honey wheat or brown ale beer. Just my take.

Here is what one vendor would consider the top end of RASS:

post-4-0-04592200-1417571330.jpg

...and the high end of the Lusi

post-4-0-63090000-1417582878.jpg

Wowzers.... well add the RAS to the wish list for me... jeez. Those look like amazing cigars.

Not a fan of colorado RASS and don't care much for aged ones either. 4-5 years never hurts though.

RASS are usually good OTT; with a few days rest in the humi. They are really nice at a couple of years old as well.

Lusi's get really nice in the 10 year range in my experience.

I smoke many more robustos than DC's but love them both; 1.5 hours vs 2.75 hours of smoking time for me.

IMHO, one of the only other Robustos that really hits for aging is the CoRo.  I've got a box with a few years on it, and they are pretty freaking wonderful.  Nice enough that I put a '14 box down to replace it, someday.

Monte #2's have also been great right off the truck and have a good reputation for aging.  Glad to add a little confusion to the mix..... :p

As they say, one man's opinion.....B.B.S.

RASS have always had the reputation of being the go to CC for those who don't have ten years or generous friends.

Doc

I just picked up a box of each so I'll check back in 10 years with an update lol