• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Air Flow in my Humidor

Nickc

Hey everyone so here is the cabinet I have. I ordered a new Hydra LG Humidifier for it and some fans. I have noticed a difference in RH from the top of my humidor to the bottom. I was wondering if anyone out there could recommend how to point my fans to keep airflow established and keep the RH around the same from top to bottom.

Here are some pics of what I have.

img143.jpg

You will notice the existing Moist N Air is on the top on a custom shelf. If at possible I would like to keep the Hydra there as well. If it would be better to move it to the bottom, I will do so. Like I said though, my intent is to try to keep the Hydra where the Moist N Air is.

img142.jpg

Close up of entire cabinet.

img126.jpg

Overall Pic....

Please any suggestions and information anyone could provide would be greatly appreciated.

What's the difference? plus or minus ___ ?

If you have any minor skills in electronics, and you got an old PC laying around, you can just pull one of the brushless fans out of it and use it for some circulation... point it anywhere you want. Oh and watch your fingers... ;)

The way I see it, it really shouldn't matter where your humidifier is. If there is dry air somewhere, the humidity will go to it, everything in our world works towards an equilibrium.. Your humidor is circulating all of the time, especially if you leave that light on... makes a heat gradient.

It's a minus on the lower part of the cabinet. I am putting 3 pc fans in when my Hydra gets here so that will work.

Don't forget humid air rises.

Now, I know that statement is true....but the funny thing in my case, was that in my Vinotemp, the bottom part of my humidor was always higher in humidity by 3 or 4%. ??? Go figure.

Anyways, I ended up taking an 80mm PC fan and rigging into the power on the back PCB of the Vinotemp. I had a Johnson Inline controller to turn the unit on and off at around 68-70 degrees, so the fans would only circulate while the unit was cooling down. It was a perfect solution and kept the entire unit cooled and humidified much more evenly and consistent. I think in your case, get 2 90mm fans, mount them somewhere in the upper part of the unit, provide power (on a timer) to the fans and it should provide more than adequate amount of air circulation to keep RH consistent top to bottom.

Now, I know that statement is true....but the funny thing in my case, was that in my Vinotemp, the bottom part of my humidor was always higher in humidity by 3 or 4%.
unsure.gif
Go figure.
Same thing in my tall, skinny cabinet.

Know what else....?? It doesn't really matter. I used to freak out about a point or two but the truth is, is just doesn't make any meaningful difference. I set my controller for 63%; it runs 61-62% in the top, and 63-64% in the bottom. My smokes are in great shape. I sleep well.....
wink.gif

Food for thought - B.B.S.

For the Aristocrat I just ordered I asked Bob to install 6 fans throughout the humidor in certain locations to maximize airflow, I think having a nice air flow is beneficial to keeping the humidity as stable as possible, but I could be wrong.

That being said, I'm sure if you place them evenly throughout the humidor you will get a nice even RH (hopefully). Just don't mount them permanently so you can move them around until you get it dialed in.

Well I got my Hydra LG in. I have one hooked up for now and have two more on the way. So far with just this one fan my RH is only 2 percent off from top to bottom now. YAY... I also mounted the remote controller to the exterior of my cabinet so I can adjust without opening the doors.

img146.jpg

img145.jpg