• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Almost out from under.

Captain Leafheart

Aroused member (still)
Hello again B'sOTL! After 13 months (today) of unpleasant, nomadic existence (and a little lurking) I'm checking back in. I'll try to make my tale of woe as concise as I can.

In August of 2015 my employer changed my shift to an "'overnight" one, which I'm just no longer physically able to do on an ongoing basis. I was pretty durn miserable.
Two months later, while one day into a little vacation with the wife in San Francisco, we get a call after dinner from our next door neighbor in NJ that our house is on fire! Scramble to get back home the next day to find just about only the shell remaining and, of course irreplaceable photos and art and musical instruments gone. Thankfully, no one was home at the time (11:30 pm local) and no one was hurt!
The basement (where I kept the humidor) was relatively untouched. :)

We bounced around from hotels to furnished apartments and our next door neighbor's home (graciously offered to us when they would be away for most of the summer!) and back to hotels until there were enough creature comforts in the re-build to get back in two weeks ago and rough it a little (without a certificate of occupancy...shhhhh).
The fire was somewhat actually a blessing in disguise because we were able to add a master suite and central air/heat, making a sale down the line more attractive to potential buyers.
And, I got taken off the overnights in February (no more guaranteed 5 days per week, but at least I don't feel like I'm dying every day)!

This has been an amazing adventure for the wife and I. The kids don't live at home but have been absolutely helpful and cooperative with everything that's been going on and whenever their help is needed.
I'm always thankful for my astounding, loving wife and kids, but this Thanksgiving (which the wife insists on hosting, even though we don't have adequate furnishings, dinnerware, chairs, etc.) will be pretty emotional for us all.

So...hello again. :)

Wow. I can't even imagine the roller coaster of emotion you all must have felt. I'm happy to hear things are wrapping up nicely.

Loosing musical instruments is like loosing friends. I couldn't afford to replace them. Some can't be replaced. I can't imagine what it could be like.

Doc

That's quite a journey. Happy for all of you that things are looking up. All the best.

I am sorry to hear about you troubles, but am delighted to hear things are moving forward towards normalcy. I am glad you are back.
My wife and I lost everything, house, vehicles, all of our possessions and left with only our lives and the clothes on our backs in an EF5 tornado in 2011. Just saying this so you will know that I know how it feels. Just keep working towards the solution and the problem gets smaller everyday.

Welcome back. Terribly sorry to hear of the hardships, but you seem to be persevering through, and even prospering!

I've thankfully never had the misfortune of a catastrophic loss like that. I know many who have, and I know that there's no telling what today, tonight, or tomorrow may bring. Aside from insurance, we really have no contingency plan, should the worst happen. We need to sit down and talk about it, as we have many other unpleasant scenarios. I agree with Doc that instruments are like family. Almost like tattoos, they have stories to tell from many different chapters of life. Glad to hear the humidor made it, though!

Very sorry for your loss but I agree with your wife getting everyone together will push the healing further down the road. I hope you have a great Thanksgiving!

Unfortunately have been there before. In 2003 I got a 6 am call that my childhood home was on fire. Raced over and found the outside looked ok but the inside was trashed. My parents spent 25 years in that home and walked out with 12 bank boxes only partially full. Luckily no one was hurt. They are very happy with the newly rebuilt home though and it is worth more now when my parents are getting ready to retire. So it worked out.

Thanks very much for the good thoughts and wishes. Old Smokey...I can't begin to wrap my head around your ordeal! I'm glad you made it out ok. Hope all is going well for you folks. Doc & kann...we had decent insurance so everything was pretty much adequately covered, but vintage instruments and ones with sentimental value can't really be replaced. We own a "celebrity" guitar that we're trying to raise money to restore. Here's a link to the "GoFundMe" campaign we started but have had to ignore for a bit till we get a bit more settled in. www.gofundme.com/emilyremlergibson I might start a separate thread about it if that's permitted. Thanks again all!

What an ordeal, like Doc said musical instruments are like family members irreplaceable. I missed this earlier and forgot to donate, but I've corrected that. One of these days I have to go to one of your gigs!

At least you two are ok. Things, while they have special meaning are, just things. You can't replace each other or the memories.

What an ordeal, like Doc said musical instruments are like family members irreplaceable. I missed this earlier and forgot to donate, but I've corrected that. One of these days I have to go to one of your gigs!
Wow tone-ny!!! Insanely generous of you! Save some dough for cigars! I'd love to see you at a gig!

It is nice to hear things are progressing in the recovery. We had a house fire years ago and I still forget some of the rarely used things we don't have. Usually Cd's and movies we owned at one point.

It is nice to hear things are progressing in the recovery. We had a house fire years ago and I still forget some of the rarely used things we don't have. Usually Cd's and movies we owned at one point.
Thankfully my wife banished all my cd's (lots of 'em) from the living room which sustained the heaviest fire damage, so they survived. I also grabbed some dvd's in melted cases (classic films, concerts, The Honeymooners collection) and will eventually get around seeing if any of them made it. But we often think of a book or movie and say "Oh yeah...we used to have that one." Then we get a little wistful.

Such an ordeal, glad no one was hurt. It's tough losing irreplaceable photos and such, I know how you feel. That poor guitar, too! Hope you're able to get it restored!