• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Am I the only one who can't cut a damn cigar straight?

I use over the counter glasses for close up stuff; believe me I have cut plenty of cigars waaaaaay worse than that. 🤣

I read somewhere that some people cut it crooked on purpose to ‘direct the smoke onto their tongue better’. Just say you’re doing that intentionally and you’ll feel better about it. It’s a rakish and jaunty look that all the cool kids will be sporting soon.

I was a big v cut fan and recently everything is a straight cut. With the whole purge and recut, it’s not easily done with the v so that’s the main reason I switched. Except for padron cigars. With their single can I still think the v is king

Jared, I'm curious if a different cutter might help? The Xikar teardrop shape allows me to hold everything pretty securely and make a straight cut.

Your plight reminded me of an older gentleman I play golf with. He tries to put his ball on the green with the line on the ball pointing at his target but his hands shake so bad the ball might end up pointing sideways......but he keeps trying.:)

Punch the cigar. I've noticed more and more folks cutting into the shoulder of the cigar. That's just wrong! Score the top cap as Justin and John stated as an alternative.

Wow, I wasn't aware that golf balls have lines on them... that would drive me crazy (no fun intended), another reason not to play golf. :/

That... uh, circumcission method kinda gives me the willies.

I have a v-cutter and a punch and have tried both on various cigars. I couldn't seem to get a good draw using the punch, maybe I should get a better one. Also I smoke a lot of torpedos and so forth, punch isn't great for those. The v-cutter works well but for some reason I didn't like it on some cigars, and if I'm gonna carry only one cutter I figured the guillotine cutter made sense. And it does work well for me... it's just that I can't seem to get the thing straight.

I do have a new teardrop cutter on the way, will give that a try. But I'll probably get it crooked, too.

I like Gavin's idea. I'm just gonna go with the rakish and jaunty thing. Yeah, that's the ticket!

Thanks for the replies, all. Interesting and fun.

Over time I seem to have built up quite a collection of cutters. Random thoughts;

- Xikar teardrop cutter. Got one of the Titanium versions, pretty colors. Great blades, used regularly.
- Palio cutter. One of the "wood" cutters, really made from some type of epoxy material. Great blades, it and the Xikar are the most used cutters I have. My Palio is one of the "OG" cutters, had it and the Xikar a very long time.
- Xikar punch. Very sharp, very nice. I've had a couple rough draws with it, but I can't blame the punch. It's sharp, cuts very well.
- Colibri V-cutter. Very sharp, cuts great. My only complaint is that it takes a helluva 'bite' out of the end of the cigar. With island smokes, it tends to cut right through the triple cap, which then come off while smoking. Not desirable but not a reflection on the cutter quality....just the cut geometry.
- Xikar V-cutter. Much shallower cut, very nice. More useful than the Colibri with most smokes. One man's opinion.
- Victorinox cigar knife. Three punches, cool little scissors perfect for slipping under a label and making a cut, and a razor sharp single blade. Oh, and a nail file...;-) Really like this tool.

Common to all is that over time, cigar oils will build up on the blade and make them seem 'dull'. Guess what....they aren't dull. A few wipes with an alcohol wipe clean the blades nicely, and you're back in business.

The Xikar is amazing for "score and lift" cuts, the Palio seems to excel at a straight, flat cut. Sorta. Both are solid tools. I could live with either.

Have fun - B.B.S.

Over time I seem to have built up quite a collection of cutters. Random thoughts;

- Xikar teardrop cutter. Got one of the Titanium versions, pretty colors. Great blades, used regularly.
- Palio cutter. One of the "wood" cutters, really made from some type of epoxy material. Great blades, it and the Xikar are the most used cutters I have. My Palio is one of the "OG" cutters, had it and the Xikar a very long time.
- Xikar punch. Very sharp, very nice. I've had a couple rough draws with it, but I can't blame the punch. It's sharp, cuts very well.
- Colibri V-cutter. Very sharp, cuts great. My only complaint is that it takes a helluva 'bite' out of the end of the cigar. With island smokes, it tends to cut right through the triple cap, which then come off while smoking. Not desirable but not a reflection on the cutter quality....just the cut geometry.
- Xikar V-cutter. Much shallower cut, very nice. More useful than the Colibri with most smokes. One man's opinion.
- Victorinox cigar knife. Three punches, cool little scissors perfect for slipping under a label and making a cut, and a razor sharp single blade. Oh, and a nail file...;-) Really like this tool.

Common to all is that over time, cigar oils will build up on the blade and make them seem 'dull'. Guess what....they aren't dull. A few wipes with an alcohol wipe clean the blades nicely, and you're back in business.

The Xikar is amazing for "score and lift" cuts, the Palio seems to excel at a straight, flat cut. Sorta. Both are solid tools. I could live with either.

Have fun - B.B.S.
The alcohol thing is one of the most useful pieces of advice I've learned here on the forums over the years.

I've had a Xikar Xi teardrop cutter for about ten years, now, and it gets used daily. No issues to this day. I went through a phase of using the Colibri deep V cut, and have no complaints, but after learning the "clip and purge" method from @CigSid, I started back using the Xikar pretty much exclusively.