• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Another Wineador question

whylieineedacigar

Yolalatlpwry
I purchased 3 Newair AW281E during the winter to turn them into wineadors. I didn't have the need to plug them in because the temperature have been in the 65 - 71 range (but I did test them to make sure they were functional). Yesterday the day was very hot and my wineadors hygrometers were reading 78 - 81 so I decided that it was time to plug them in as the weather will only get worst from now on.

I have 3 pounds of Heartfelt 65% beads in each of them and the humidity have been spot on during the whole winter. After plugin them, I decided to set the temperature to 66. One of them have 2 wooden drawers and dividers from Forrest and the others have 2 of the metal dividers that came with them. I made sure nothing was covering the cooling system and that It had enough room for air to circulate. I do not have extra fans in them.

The issue that I'm experiencing is that after plugin the units, the 2 without the wooden drawers seem to have stabilized fairy quickly, the humidity went up a bit to 66 - 67 % and the temperature came down to about 68 - 71 in about 2 hours. The one with the wooden drawers destroyed my humidity and brought it down to 54% and the temperature wouldn't come down from 74. I decided to leave it overnight and see if it would stabilize, after inspecting it this morning the readings remained the same. I have 3 different hygrometers in that unit. I then decided to bring the temperature down to 58 to see if it was having problems cooling. An hour later I went back to check and the temperature went down to 67 and the humidity to 43%! What the heck is going on here guys? 3 pounds of beads in there, for some reason I'm starting to think that this unit is sucking the humidity out some how. I also noticed that this is the only unit that's producing a fairly amount of condensation. Any ideas as to why this is happening? Before leaving to work I sprayed 1 of the 3 pounds with more distilled water and I reset the temperature to 66. 

Could you provide a break down as to the temp, amount of product & humidity for each of the units separately?
Along with any other pertinent info, wood, metal spacers, etc...

Check the seal on that unit.

Also, if it is taking more time ( don't know that it should) because the wooden drawers have more mass ( or other reason) the unit with wooden drawers is running longer and due to the longer run time is forming more condensation that is going out the drain and causing a drop in humidity.

If there is no leak, it may well settle down in time.

FWIW, lowering thermostat will not cause it to cool any additional amount. Tstats on these units cause them to cool or off.  So any thermostat setting that calls aa demand for the unit to turn on will do just as much as a lower setting.

Also, next year suggest you not wait so long. Start converting to run time sooner.

I turned my small one off this past winter also, and powered it back up about 3/4 weeks ago. IMO, I waited too long and should have started earlier.

Starting earlier in the year can't hurt.

Thanks for the suggestions gents, this is the first time using a wineador during the summer for me. I'm almost certain that there isn't a leak as the humidity has been perfect for a few months until I turned the unit on yesterday. I will give more details when I get home.

Any solution? Mine is starting to so the same thing. I'm thinking about adding more beads...

ncast2523 said:
Any solution? Mine is starting to so the same thing. I'm thinking about adding more beads...

I don't think that will fix the issue as I have 3 pounds of beads in there. Mines stabilized at 66-67% top and 61-62% bottom. My plan is to put in some computer fans for better air circulation and see what happens. I will update you.

I've got a couple of wine refrigerators and I remember it taking a long time for them to settle. If there's a drain hole make sure to seal it up. I also learned that the refrigerators need to be full to stay stable. I keep some old boxes around so that there's never any empty space.