• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Antique Humidor

scubagrunt

Ok, need some advice. I am interested in a couple of antique humidor/smoke tables. However, I have noticed that most of them are lined with metal or copper, which I have never seen or heard of before. Doing a little research, it seems that this was done to keep bugs out. I really like the style of some of these and they are within my budget, plus I would love to restore one, so the question is do I get rid of the metal and line it with Spanish cedar, leave it in and put the cedar over it, or leave the inside as is?

If you want to have it keep it's antique value, then do not do anything to alter it that can not easily be undone.

If it were me, I'd leave it and use as is if you plan on putting any boxes inside. At the very most, line with cedar in a way that can be taken back out later to look as if it were never done.

From what I've seen, restoring/refinishing an antique will significantly degrade its value. If the finish has developed that aged patina look then I believe a mild cleaning is about all that is recommended. I'm sure there are other members who know more than I do about antiques. Of course if you don't care about the antique value and would rather have the like new restored look then have at it.

I understand about the whole antique issue and as these aren't really a: that old. b: that expensive and besides I will need to modify the doors IOT keep a tight seal. I guess I really want to know if the metal will affect the ability to keep a constant humidity and will the metal change the taste of my cigars as they age.

Metal will not transfer moisture. It will hold it but when you open the lid, it will take time to restore the RH if there aren't many boxes.

Funny thing about that........seems the more space you have the more boxes you need to get!

I would probably just put a piece of 3/4" Spanish Cedar on the bottom and maybe some stand alone shelves.