• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Any Difference to you guys? Tubos or Box

chris14001

Have guys have had a different experience with cigars being in tubus verses a box. I personally love the Cohiba Siglo VI, the first time I ever had them was in tubos. An there for awhile I always bought them that way. Then one day I figured to purchase a box of them with out the tubos. I have to say they werent the same!! They did not resemble eachother different taste and everything. Anyone else experience this with cuban cigars that are offered in tubos and boxed?? Thanks Chris

I have not noticed any real difference between tubos and non-tubos. I've smoked Cohiba Siglo VI in both versions and they were similar of not identical. I like cigars in the round, but as the Siglo VI comes in cabs rather than dress boxes, for me personally, there is no need to pay extra for the Tubo. One thing that I have noticed is thay cigars in the tuvo format develop mold much more easily.

I have not noticed any real difference between tubos and non-tubos. I've smoked Cohiba Siglo VI in both versions and they were similar of not identical. I like cigars in the round, but as the Siglo VI comes in cabs rather than dress boxes, for me personally, there is no need to pay extra for the Tubo. One thing that I have noticed is thay cigars in the tuvo format develop mold much more easily.

Yes, this is a fair assessment. I dont find any difference in this cigar, aside from price.

Cheers
Drew P

Tubos. Their there own little humidifier.

Agreed with that. I am under the impression that tubo cigars are exactly the same minus the packaging. Am I wrong?

Allen

p.s. I had a Tat Black tubo which burned like sh!t. Hope it was a dud.

edit: verb tense

For aging I could understand, but otherwise I would think no difference. But, I recently read those more knowledgable swear there is a difference and the tubos are better.

I prefer boxed. Tubos are a pricey presentation and I seem to always have mold issues with long term tubo storage. But.... Siglo VI's are already high dollar and if you're gonna pass any out to impress the father-in-law/boss/whoever, there's no denying the extra appeal of the Cohiba tubo presentation.

The tubos are generally lined with cedar inserts which could make them a bit more cedar the box version. If your storing tubos in your humidor, take off the cap. Most of the tat black tubos I've had didn't burn very evenly.

The tubos are generally lined with cedar inserts which could make them a bit more cedar the box version. If your storing tubos in your humidor, take off the cap. Most of the tat black tubos I've had didn't burn very evenly.

Maybe thats it?? just the simple fact there right up againt the cedar lining??? either way thanks for all your input guys!

The tubos versions of all the Cubans have their purpose, generally i think its to make for easier carrying and gifting.

I once carried a siglo vi in my shirt pocket thinking it would be ok... then i forgot i had it in there. It was a mess of leaves by the time i remembered. If it were in a tube... it would have survived.

But, there are the same cigar, essentially.

Having said that, i've had much more luck finding really dark, nearly maduro coloured cohiba siglos in tubes. The only rationale i have for this is because the really dark wrappers don't fit into any conventional box (the cubans do have a fanaticism about having all the cigars in a given box nearly the same colour). So my theory is that all the unusually coloured ones are put aside, and slotted into tubes where it doesn't really matter because (a) they come in 3 packs and (b) people generally won't see the sticks until they buy them.

I've heard this come up into conversation a few times now, a lot of people seem to enjoy tubo's more. It seems this is more of an relevant for longer storage periods.

From the tubo's I've had I can't say I've noticed anything 'extra' but I also don't feel the quantity and age of the tubo's are significant enough for me to offer a valuable opinion.

This young lady appears to believe it matters though....
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9zba4iRGPeY

Agreed with all that say the big advantage to tubos is convenience for gifting and carrying.
Fresh I've found no difference in the flavor but for aging I prefer the cabs. I think they will age more evenly and properly without all that cedar surrounding it as well as mold issues.
I've had OR's both ways and the cabs certainly had a richer, less toast flavor.

Good points Aizuddin.

X2

I had the same thought about the colored wrappers. Not that they necessarily taste better, though.

Edit to ask:

Has anyone compared Boli #2 Tubos to BPCs? I've heard the #2 Tubos are not only better than the #1 & #3, but better than the PC, too.

I actually already posted on this but again I will say I prefer tubos over boxes. It seems as if there is a bit more QC in selecting the tubo cigars. And of course it makes them great for carrying and gifting. Siglo VI are my favorite and all I buy are the tubos.

100_2242.jpg

I personally prefer the tubos also but I dont always purchase them due to the price point. I love the smell of a freshly opened tubo and think that due the sealed nature of the tubos environment the stick in side is a lot less apt to be affected by humidity swings cause by transporting cigars and opening/closing humidors. As for the Siglo vi, it is the best tubo that I have had although It has to be aged for a while in the tube prior to smoking JMO.

I personally prefer the tubos also but I dont always purchase them due to the price point. I love the smell of a freshly opened tubo and think that due the sealed nature of the tubos environment the stick in side is a lot less apt to be affected by humidity swings cause by transporting cigars and opening/closing humidors. As for the Siglo vi, it is the best tubo that I have had although It has to be aged for a while in the tube prior to smoking JMO.

Not to threadjack, but the Magnum 50 tubo has also been a bit of a pleasant surprise. folks love to pull the top off and inhale all that creamy goodness.

Cheers
Drew P