• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Any dog training experts here?

mr.mac

Some of you might remember the story about how my wife and I got Cash, the dog in my avatar. Well, we have really grown to love the guy. And he has really gotten comfortable in our yard. He's an outdoor dog and has been doing really well adjusting to his new home.

Only problem with Cash is when you go out into the back yard. He jumps at you, bites at you, mostly your hands, arms and feet. I mean he has torn me up from head to toe. When my wifes father visited, Cash tore him up too, leaving deep gashes in his arms and such. They got infected... I felt horrible. I have tried everything with him. He's really good on a leash and even when we visit the school field down the road I can take him off the leash and I have NO problems. But as soon as you go in the backyard with him... you had better watch out! :whistling:

Ketty and I are at the end with his behavior. Today we bathed him and had no problems, until we went into the backyard with him. He jumped at her which I will not tolerate. The more I tried to scold him, the more he thought I was playing with him. I really don't blame him. He gets excited and I have a hard time dealing with him when I'm frustrated. The problem is in part my fault.

So I was just wondering if anyone has had any luck with electric training collars? I hate the idea of using one, but I also hate the idea of having to get rid of him because no one can handle him. I don't think the Dog Wisperer is in town :p, so I'm really open to suggestions. I think he would be better off in the long run if we can rid him of this behavior.

Thanks all...

mac

Continual 'scruffing' him, to let him know who's the alpha...will have to be a start.

Also....you may want to read up on some websites that talk about training....and even go as far as finding out a good trainer in your area.

A key is to put the animal in his place (with respect/authority/kindness).

newspaper.jpg

It sounds like he thinks you are coming into his territory where he sets the rules. You're going to have to reclaim your yard and assert your dominance. There are a lot of ways to do this and you're going to have to figure out what's going to work with your situation (time you can spend and all that).

A call to a local expert may be the best option if you don't really have the time to devote to a very regular schedule. He's a territorial animal, it's going to take time and a lot of patience.

I know they make bark control collars that spray citronella in their face instead of the shock or vibration. I don't know how well that works or the long term effects of citronella exposure. I'm just throwing out options.

I use a collar that has both a tone and a shock. The dogs learn very quickly that the tone is followed by the shock. At this point, I almost never have to actually shock the dog.

With that being said, I trained my three year old Gemnan shorthair-wirey ball of untamed energy to heel in three days. The trick is that after you give the command, they are expected to follow it. If they don't, there are consequences. If the only consequence is having the command repeted, there is no reason to obey. Also, a command is in place until released.

Start feeding him outside, ten minutes down, if he doesnt eat, pick up the food.
You can try yelping if he is fairly young.
Turn your back to him, and ignore him.
Teach him to Sit and stay. If he get up, bark NO!
A correction has to be meaningful, as well as praise. If you praise him and he just looks dumbly at you, you are not getting through to him.

All else fails, lift your knee into his chest when he jumps up. Sounds cruel, but that's what the experts do when you're not looking.

Shock collars harbor aggresion. DO NOT use them unless you are a skilled dog trainer!

Get a PINCH collar. Least trachea damage than ANY collar, and the most effective. They simulate the alpha dog nipping the neck of the lower rung dogs.

My ex wife was good at one thing and that was dog training, I remember watching her knee a dog in the chest as it would try to jump on her during training. Doesn't take long with some No's and positive reinforcement when they have calmed down after the wind has been knocked out of them.

Going to a good Obedience school is not that expensive and helps train you to train your dog

Jerry

If you go to an obedience class, you have to be sure that they are teaching appropriate to your dogs age.
A dog goes through an "adolescence", and your Pet Smart trainers are lost at that point :D

I hit the sh*t out of mine. He learns really quick not to bite at someone. I have a shar'pei and they are dominant/protective dogs. Just gotta remind them who the alpha is.

*edit* b/c I don't beat him, just hit hard or else he thinks I'm "playing"

I have and use an e-collar but I wouldn't necessarily recommend one in this instance. They're best put to use when remote reinforcement is needed for commands and behaviors the dog already knows.

For jumping, catching pooch mid-jump with firm knee to the chest, along with a stern No jump! can be effective. Pay attention and be consistent.

Is the dog biting in play or is it more aggressive? I broke my dog of play biting as a pup by firmly grabbing his lower jaw every time he did it, and gave it a bit of a shake while saying No bite! He was cured in pretty short order. It can be hard on the hands, though depending your dog's teeth. I don't recommend this at all for aggressive biting.

If the jumping and biting is more agressive or just too boisterous you can try giving him the cold shoulder. Go into the back yard like you own it...after all, you do...say nothing, turn your back on him, and go about your business. If he comes around front demanding attention, turn your back again. Pay him no attention whatsoever until he's calm and on all fours. Ignoring a dog is actually one of the alpha behaviors. It just might get results. YMMV, though.

:D This sounds like nothing a quick swift kick to the rib cage cannot take care of. :laugh:

JK... I love animals...

When there burning on my grill and between a bun.

Thanks for all the responses and suggestions. With Cash it is always playful, ENERGETIC biting and never aggressive. Cash is a cross between a pit bull and a dalmation... so he has really strong jaws and a lot of playful energy. Much of what has already been talked about I have tried. I have no problem putting my knee in his chest, but that doesn't stop him. If anything it gets him more wound up! I do grab his jaw, which is funnier that hell to watch him try and manuver by the way! I do reinforce with "NO"... although no specifics (ie. no jump, no bite). And when he is obedient I certainly do give positive reinforcement and lots of praise. Honestly, he is really a good dog most of the time until he starts this mouthing business. Oh... Cash is also one and a half years old, so hopefully this is just his bitchy, teenage rebellious behavior.

Thanks again guys. I'll let you all know how it turns out...

mac

I hit the sh*t out of mine. He learns really quick not to bite at someone. I have a shar'pei and they are dominant/protective dogs. Just gotta remind them who the alpha is.

I hope you are kidding. Hitting a dog is not training.

Now, on to the point. I have more than ten years experience working with Rottweilers, Pitbulls and Mastiffs. I can tell you that the issue is that your dog is an "outside dog". I am not being critical, but dogs are pack animals. They want to be with and your family. By keeping the dog outside and isolated, you are building aggression and territorial behavior. You need to spend time with your dog, take regular walks and alllow him to be part of your pack (i.e., inside the house). Pinch collars and shock collars will not work if your goal is to form a bond with your dog and get him to trust you as the pack leader.

I'm happy to help in any way I can. Feel free to PM me with any concerns or questions.

Jeff

A pit bull, well bred, is absolutely one of the best dogs going. They have gotten a bad rap due to the animals that mistreat and misbreed them.

I hope you are kidding. Hitting a dog is not training.

Now, on to the point. I have more than ten years experience working with Rottweilers, Pitbulls and Mastiffs. I can tell you that the issue is that your dog is an "outside dog". I am not being critical, but dogs are pack animals. They want to be with and your family. By keeping the dog outside and isolated, you are building aggression and territorial behavior. You need to spend time with your dog, take regular walks and alllow him to be part of your pack (i.e., inside the house). Pinch collars and shock collars will not work if your goal is to form a bond with your dog and get him to trust you as the pack leader.

I'm happy to help in any way I can. Feel free to PM me with ant concerns or questions.

Jeff

Good call Jeff. I agree! I grew up with a 130lb. chocolate lab that was always inside. Things are different with Cash though. When we adopted him, we agreed that we just didn't have the room inside for him. Our local shelter is a kill shelter, so when our neighbors abandoned him, we chose to give him as good a home as we could. So let me be clear that we didn't actually go to a shelter and bring him home. Our shit head neighbors abandoned him in their back yard. I called animal control, they came out... told me about the kill policy... the rest is history.

I'm lucky that right now I can spend quite a bit of time with him. This won't be the case though when I finish grad school. I worry about him being out there. Shit, I lost sleep over having him out there at first. Then I had to just let go and realize that he has a pretty damn comfortable place to stay here. He has a great dog house that is right out the back door, a great view of the front and 6+ dogs in the back from our neighbors. Its the best I can do for him now. Truthfully, he gets a lot more attention now that he ever has. I think its been a positive change for him.

Good lookin' out though. I think you are right on...

mac

Jstrat is absolutely right. I did not realize it was an outside dog. I myself do not believe in that.
I have three dogs, and they all live in the house. But, we have to remember that they are dogs, and treat them as such. I.e., they are not people or kids. Dog training in a lot of ways is really more like training the owners. :D