• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Any Hikers out there?

kona1000

Buy Bitcoin
I haven't hiked, seriously in about 8 years.  Now that my wife and I have adopted a little boy, I spend a ton of time in the woods.  I am going to take him out this August to MT Greylock- highest point in MA. for a week long adventure of sleeping on pine needles.

I have Hiked the Appalachian Trail , Colorado Trail most of the Continental divide trail and the Long Trail 6 times.  Hiking was such a huge part of my life for so long I really miss it and can't wait just to get out for a week.

When he goes down for a nap every afternoon, daddy will break out the cigar and whiskey and relax- I cain't wait!!

Any other hikers out there?

Trail name: Kona

I love to myself! Hard not to with the Appalachian Mountains so close by. Kids are really into it like I was when my dad introduced me to it as a child. Old Rag Mountain is a favorite annual destination of ours with plenty of rock scrambling, and spectacular views.

I used to. Can't do anything but fairly tame trails anymore due to back and leg issues. I do try to keep up with my skill set, and even add to it at times. You just never know if you'll have to rely on them at some time.

If you're in MA, you should check out the New England Trail, formerly the M-M trail. They just finished the southern terminus @the beach in Guilford, CT & it goes to Mt Monadnock in NH. Just did a section from the MA/CT border to Heublein Tower... So far, so good!

I love getting outdoors with my daughter. Having her got me back into hiking, even carried her around in a special carrier for the first 2 years lol. Enjoy, there's nothing better than seeing a child explore the outdoors! Especially in this day & age, when every kid has their own IPad.

I do a fair amount of hiking. Not to the scale you mention Kona but yea I hike. I prefer to walk alone, I don't mind conversation and comrodary at the lean- to or campsite but when on the trail it sucks waiting or trying to keep pace with someoneon and I always have a "leave no trace" philosophy. Surprisingly Connecticut has a lot of good hiking trails all organized by the Parks and Forast Department and maintained with volunteer labor. Although I've always hiked earnistly, about five years ago I bought the West Edition of the "Connecticut Walk Book" which has about 25 differs hikes. Some are as short as 3 or 4 miles but others like the Appalacian, Mohawk, Mattabasset and Metacomet are 40 to 60 miles. I think the book got me onto a more organized mentality of hiking. Rather than just doing day hiking I've now through hiked the Connecticut portions of all of the above trails. My next trip is planned for September, I'll be doing half (about 45 miles) of the Massachusetts Appalacian Trail, from Sailsbury CT to Lee MA. Hopefully in October I'll finish the upper half.
Oh and by the way, my trail name is Tom.

October is my favorite time to hike the Long Trail- Autumn leaves turning infront of your eyes!

I did a lot of backpacking while my boys were in Boy Scouts out east, mostly the AT. I do weekend hikes now here in the LA metro. Surprisingly, there are decent canyon trails here for hikers, mountain bikers and doggies!
October is my favorite time to hike the Long Trail- Autumn leaves turning infront of your eyes!

I totally agree!

With the Sequoia, Kings, Sierras, and Yosemite national parks 3-5 hours away, there's more trails than I could every complete in my life.  I've gone on a handful of backpacking trips with friends.  Actually my friends just got back from one and will be going next weekend.  Unfortunately back/hip problems have been keeping me away recently.

I think my trail name on the last trip was Broken Ankle.  It's a nickname.  You can't pick your own, it must be given to you.

The Black Cloud said:
With the Sequoia, Kings, Sierras, and Yosemite national parks 3-5 hours away, there's more trails than I could every complete in my life.  I've gone on a handful of backpacking trips with friends.  Actually my friends just got back from one and will be going next weekend.  Unfortunately back/hip problems have been keeping me away recently.

I think my trail name on the last trip was Broken Ankle.  It's a nickname.  You can't pick your own, it must be given to you.
How old are you Jeff?

Unfortunately back/hip problems have been keeping me away recently.

You didn't specify if you have issues with a pack or with getting a decent sleep, but hammock camping might help with the latter! I'm only 28, but the military tore my back up.. Could never sleep well while camping, until I started using a hammock!

LikeAPuma said:

You didn't specify if you have issues with a pack or with getting a decent sleep, but hammock camping might help with the latter! I'm only 28, but the military tore my back up.. Could never sleep well while camping, until I started using a hammock!

My issues specifically are a super tight piriformis that's rubbing on my sciatic nerve.  It's not a chronic condition but I'm spending the next 2-3 weeks with no exercise hoping the muscles/ligaments loosen up.

Hammocks are great.  I'll nap in one but I don't think I'd sleep a whole night in one as I'd be afraid that it would ruin my back because it doesn't offer spine support.  I'm jealous that it works for you, though.  Once you setup the hammock and get in it you've got about 5 minutes until you start dozing off.

jfields said:

How old are you Jeff?

LikeAPuma said:

Try ozarktrail.com

My cousin's husband started it and I've done a couple legs.

I'm a backpacker, love it and miss it when I'm not doing it!

So I'm takin my boy out for a 40 mile hike over 8 days. We'll see how he does. I have many options to peel off and call it a day.
Many stogies will be smoked waiting for him to deside what he wants to do- many streams to stop at many camps sides to choose.

He has his own harness so rock climbing along the way will be awesome!!

I just found out I have a torn meniscus. Hiking is out for this summer.

ilikefishes said:
Get it fixed now! Fall is the best time to get out anyways......

ilikefishes said:
I had the scope meniscus surgery. I walked out the hospital, and just kept cool packs on it the prescribed regimen and time. Absolutely no issues, and no pain afterwards. Hell, I can't even see the scars anymore.

I just spent four days hiking through some beautiful country in Payette National Forrest in Idaho with my college roommate.  It was my first backpacking trek in far too long, but I've got the bug again!

[sharedmedia=gallery:images:11887]
[sharedmedia=gallery:images:11888]
[sharedmedia=gallery:images:11889]