• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Any PC builders in here?

Johnny B

I'm considering upgrading the graphics card and power supply in my current HP desktop with the intention of gradually picking up a new case and motherboard etc. etc . for a new desktop build in the not so distant future.

Are there any potential issues with swapping out graphics cards and power supplied from one motherboard to another (assuming that both are compatible with the current and future motherboard)?

Tom is right. Probably ok, if compatible... What exactly are you trying to do? (I build supercomputers and also design multiprocessor laptops)

My father in law got me into a fun PC game (World of Tanks) and while the onboard graphics card get the job done, I want something better. I don't need the top-of-the-line graphics card and have been eyeing a gtx1050ti 4gb ddr5 and a 680w power supply. My plan is to slowly build a new computer piece by piece and when I have the pieces needed for the new computer, I'd transfer the graphics card and power supply to the new PC and put the old power supply back into my current PC.

Too much work and too many possible issues.

Just save and find something on sale.
Refurbished with a 1 year warranty.

For under $300-400 you can get the basics to meet the requirement of the GC and PS.
For under $600...you'll have a fine machine.

1 eggsample

That's my 2c.

My father in law got me into a fun PC game (World of Tanks) and while the onboard graphics card get the job done, I want something better. I don't need the top-of-the-line graphics card and have been eyeing a gtx1050ti 4gb ddr5 and a 680w power supply. My plan is to slowly build a new computer piece by piece and when I have the pieces needed for the new computer, I'd transfer the graphics card and power supply to the new PC and put the old power supply back into my current PC.
First, how old is the motherboard? If its not too old, you can do this for about $250. Make sure the power supply has the same pins for the motherboard power slot, and make sure the graphics card has the right specifications. If you send me the model number of the motherboard, I can tell you what you need. Also, for another $50 get yourself a 500GB SSD, that will make a huge difference...

For under $300-400 you can get the basics to meet the requirement of the GC and PS.

1 eggsample

That's my 2c.

That looks like a viable solution...

That looks like a viable solution...

Do you have a specific manufacturer in mind?

Also - an SSD or Nvme will make things really speedy. (as CS mentioned)

BTW - piecing these out is not like it used to be.
If you just said you wanted to update the current unit...that's fine.

But to grab another case etc...then you'r looking at more $$$.
Remember - you have the OS fee too.

That's why I suggest a refurb or last model new system.

We really need to talk, apologies, I'm on a dead run for the next half day. I have very specific recommendations for you. Back when I can.

We really need to talk, apologies, I'm on a dead run for the next half day. I have very specific recommendations for you. Back when I can.

No worries! Hit me up when you get a chance. I'm available to talk after 7pm, or you can message me anytime!

What size power supply is in the desktop now, it might be fine as-is for now if it's at least 300 watts. Simply add the new video card for now and you're good to go for a while.

The GTX 1050Ti doesn't require an additional 6–8pin power supply, it takes all the required power through the PCIe X16 slot. GTX 1050Ti will draw a maximum power of 75W. NVIDIA recommend a minimum power supply of 300 watts.

What size power supply is in the desktop now, it might be fine as-is for now if it's at least 300 watts. Simply add the new video card for now and you're good to go for a while.

The GTX 1050Ti doesn't require an additional 6–8pin power supply, it takes all the required power through the PCIe X16 slot. GTX 1050Ti will draw a maximum power of 75W. NVIDIA recommend a minimum power supply of 300 watts.

I'll double check when I get home. If I can get away with just getting the graphics card, I'd be one happy camper!

HP has a lot of proprietary stuff in some of their PC. Like the PWS and motherboard which will kill any upgrade. You'll really want to find the service manual and see what sizes they list and compare that to PC norms like mini or micro ATX or ITX for example or whatever you are looking for.

Tom will outline a killer machine but sometimes he goes overboard for what you said you need (and so do I, actually so do most PC builders) so keep an eye on what you want the machine to do, how long do you want it to do it, and at what cost. As pointed out maybe just a video card upgrade will do it or you might even be able to upgrade the CPU too for a reasonable cost since it is an older machine. An example is when I built my server. The first E5-2670 CPU was about $350, a year later when I added the second it was $70. Plenty of options to choose from all depending on your need.

Thanks for all the input gents! I've been at a dead sprint all weekend and haven't had a chance to look into the information mentioned above. Hopefully tomorrow!

Edit: spelling

HP has a lot of proprietary stuff in some of their PC. Like the PWS and motherboard which will kill any upgrade. You'll really want to find the service manual and see what sizes they list and compare that to PC norms like mini or micro ATX or ITX for example or whatever you are looking for.
Agree 100%. Make sure you have a standard video card slot and enough room for a 'real' video card. What I'd recommend is a video card upgrade that should work fine for now, and a killer machine down the road that could use this or pretty much any other video card you want. Just built my wife a new machine (I got one too....:cool:) and it's great. She's not a big gamer, but plays now and then. This one is easy on the host platform (doesn't even need a power cable) and I'm VERY impressed at how it runs with the games we play:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07F4GGWL1/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o04__o00_s00

This makes good sense as the video card is the bottle neck in pretty much any system these days. Even mid level processors have so much horsepower that they wait for the video card to catch up. I recommend a video card for now, and you can start buying the new machine a piece at a time when you feel like it. JMHO.....

Tom will outline a killer machine but sometimes he goes overboard for what you said you need....
Hey now......:D

Agree 100%. Make sure you have a standard video card slot and enough room for a 'real' video card. What I'd recommend is a video card upgrade that should work fine for now, and a killer machine down the road that could use this or pretty much any other video card you want. Just built my wife a new machine (I got one too....:cool:) and it's great. She's not a big gamer, but plays now and then. This one is easy on the host platform (doesn't even need a power cable) and I'm VERY impressed at how it runs with the games we play:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07F4GGWL1/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o04__o00_s00

This makes good sense as the video card is the bottle neck in pretty much any system these days. Even mid level processors have so much horsepower that they wait for the video card to catch up. I recommend a video card for now, and you can start buying the new machine a piece at a time when you feel like it. JMHO.....

Hey now......:D

Thanks Tom! This is the route I'm going to go with. :)

1 eggsample

That's my 2c.
Way late to this party, but....how hard would it be to add an M2 SSD to this?

My Mac Mini is 10 years old and needs replacing.

I am a casual gamer, but daughter is getting into photography....

T